Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-01-2007, 06:27 PM   #21
fonzie
Contributing Staff

Default Re: Open Letter to Motorcyle.com

When Gabe left, he took the keys to the office with him!

Does this help? http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcharle...er/index.motml

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-01-2007, 06:52 PM   #22
tripleripple
Founding Member

Location: Lightly Fortified Compound (apartment): Chicago, IL

Gabe is like that.

But, again, nobody talks:

"Hey, sorry it's been slow. We been workin' on X, Y and Z..."

"Hey, sorry it's been slow. Here's what to expect..."

You won't do it and it'll happen again, dollars to donuts.

tripleripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 07:20 PM   #23
ksquid
Banned

Default Radar for dummies, vector addition...

Yes the Doppler effect is used but let me explain. The trooper in the air can use a gun if he is not directly perpendicular i.e. ksickles speed on his R1 will be measurable.. Just like cops measure your speed as you round a curve. The speed indicated has some error because it doesn't reflect the perpendicular vector component of the velocity. Remember from physics velocity is both change in speed and direction i.e. it's a multidimensional vector. Usually this error work's in favor of the violator.
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 07:21 PM   #24
ksquid
Banned

Default Re: WARNING: KBASHING THREAD IN PROGRESS!

Nice try guys but I am the master of science on this board...
Old 06-01-2007, 07:26 PM   #25
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

+1
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 07:33 PM   #26
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

"I have yet to receive an issue that's blank inside."

--You have to admit, that would be something if a mag actually tried that one month.

BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 07:57 PM   #27
Kreb_Cycle
Registered Member

Default Re: Radar for dummies, vector addition...

Yeah, and it'll be measured as just a few miles per hour because of what you just stated. Ergo, it is pointless to use a radar gun from the air unless you want to see a speed of just a few mph, or even negative if the plane happens to be flying away from the bike. That's why...wait for it... they don't do it.
He was a fattish but active man of paralyzing stupidity, a mass of imbecile enthusiasms—one of those completely unquestioning, devoted drudges on whom, more even than on the thought police, the stability of the Party depended. - George Orwell _1984_
Kreb_Cycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 08:35 PM   #28
lunatic-fringe
Registered Member

Default Re: Bike Culture Barometer: Bike Week 2007

Umm, kpaul, I feel it's time to speak up. I have a couple things in common with you, ie, I reside in south King County, WA and work at a large and well-known aircraft manufacturer.

And I do ride the finest piece of hardware known (to me, that is), a 2002 ZX-6R. But the similarities end there. You see, I'm just not smart enough to make my posts bold and italic like you do.

Anyway, you're a hypocrite. A couple days ago you raved about the WSP and their methods, and now you say you sport a new radar detector. Nuff said.

As for motorcycle trends... the trend I'm hoping to see is the trend towards practical and effiicient transportation with a fun and adventurous side. That's what biking will always be, and the image and lifestyle angles that clutter up the scene mostly detract from it.

Oh, enjoy going around Rainier, the long way, since Hwy 123 is closed this year. But you already knew that. Or soon will.

Regards,

L.F.
lunatic-fringe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 08:41 PM   #29
ksquid
Banned

Default Close enough for Govt work i.e. to book you in the King County Jail history major

History major why don't come to my office so I can show you the math on my whiteboard.? It's possible to do it.. but I could be wrong i.e they might not use it. Basically all you have to have is some component of the violators velocity moving away from you or coming at you.. If the plane is circlcing ahead of the bike the trooper sticks his gun at the bike as it comming to him.. Remember that law enforcement can get down to 1500 ft or lower

----airplane-----

| 500 ft

| ----------------- 5280ft-------- <---bike

bike is 1 mile away from the plane and the plane is 500 ft off the ground so the angle is arch tan of (500/5280) around 5 degrees...So if the bike is going 2 miles / min or 120 mph his speed measured by radar gun in the airplane would be would be have error introduced by the angle. The lita even has name for it i.e the Cosine effect because you use the Cosine of the angle to compute the true speed of the bike from the speed read by the airplane.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:12 PM   #30
Fenton
Founding Member

I'm a smoke jumper dammit! Stop making fun of me. I have Ohlins on my Rune and I'll kick your a$$ at willows. I rode 34 miles today on twisty roads.

Sorry, I was bored with my friends at the BBQ.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote