Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-01-2007, 02:47 PM   #11
ksquid
Banned

Default Re: Bike Culture Barometer: Bike Week 2007

Actually the WSP does use radar but you are right most don't If you watch the first video I submitted you hear the pilot call out the radar speed.
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-01-2007, 03:24 PM   #12
sfcdjevans
Registered Member

Thanks for taking me there, great video.
Old 06-01-2007, 03:58 PM   #13
skeepee
Registered Member

He calls out the speed, but no mention of radar as the method.

WSP planes guage a ground vehicle's speed by pacing it or using a timing method. They have computers onboard to assist in this - you can see one in the KING5 video you posted.

Radar won't work in this application because it depends on doppler shift of a reflected signal. You wouldn't get much of a reflection off of an object travelling nearly perpendicular to you.
skeepee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 04:40 PM   #14
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default WARNING: KBASHING THREAD IN PROGRESS!

Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 04:58 PM   #15
tripleripple
Founding Member

Location: Lightly Fortified Compound (apartment): Chicago, IL
Default Open Letter to Motorcyle.com

I have an Idea for the next article. Going out on a limb here...but....here goes:

1. Gather a few experienced riders (preferably someone we have heard of).

2. Get a bike (New, used, at this point it doesn't even matter).

3. Ride the bike in various settings and take copious notes on what it's like (comfort, power, handling...you know, pros and cons).

4. Gather the notes and transform them into an informative, cohesive, and entertaining review of the bike (this is the most difficult part but I think you guys can do it).

5. Post that article on this website so all of your subscribers can read it, be informed and entertained, and have a hilarious debate after reading the article.

Here's the MOST IMPORTANT part: If, for some reason or another, this is not possible right now, have the common decency to tell your loyal subscribers (who pay money) why and let them know what to look forward to in the near future. In other words, FCUKING COMMUNICATE WITH YOUR READERS!! MO has been notoriously horrible at this and it's time you guys let us know what's going on.

Quick example: NEW OWNERS!! NEW EDITOR!! NEW FORMAT!! LOTS OF CHANGES!! What's happened since?? Crickets, that's what. It's annoying and unprofessional. I hate to compare MO to other magazines, but every single month I know exactly what to expect from Motorcyclist. I have yet to receive an issue that's blank inside. Time to step up MO.

tripleripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 05:45 PM   #16
Fenton
Founding Member

Default Re: WARNING: KBASHING THREAD IN PROGRESS!

Shouldn't that be the title for ALL news items?
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 05:51 PM   #17
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: WARNING: KBASHING THREAD IN PROGRESS!

I guess it depends if it's the sockmaster who knows everything about aerial surveillance or the one who thinks the bear in the air uses radar.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 05:53 PM   #18
schizuki
Founding Member

"Radar won't work in this application because it depends on doppler shift of a reflected signal. You wouldn't get much of a reflection off of an object travelling nearly perpendicular to you."

Yeah, it would pretty much read "0 MPH".

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 05:56 PM   #19
schizuki
Founding Member

Default Re: Open Letter to Motorcyle.com

+1.

Like I said earlier today, the natives are getting restless. Time to speak up, MO.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 06:21 PM   #20
RonXX
Founding Member

JB, of course those listed modifications are beneficial to a drag racer. I think what the author failed to mention is that those same bikes will undoubtedly be shod with an additional 10 pounds of chrome plating, neon lights in some random location, and perhaps even an LCD television embedded in a gas tank shroud. I only mention this because I have seen it.

What this really comes down to is the fundamental lack of intelligence in the general population. If the average IQ is 100 (by definition) then that must mean there are a hell of a lot of people out there with one less than 100. That's pretty f*cking dumb. So they spend their inflated salaries on crap ornaments to hang on a once superb motorcyle in an effort to immitate their favorite knucklehead from the movies. There is no consideration given to 'form over function' (written backwards in the article), demonstrating that the owner is not really interested in riding a bike for the purpose it was designed or even modified for. They may be happy with their shiny toys though, and they will continue to breathe through their mouths as they spend, spend, spend.
RonXX is offline   Reply With Quote