Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   2007 Liter Bike Shootout (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/4476-2007-liter-bike-shootout.html)

pdad13 05-08-2007 07:04 AM

Re: 2007 Liter Bike Shootout

Actually, I think we're all going to need a balance shaft.

TheFox 05-08-2007 07:08 AM

R1 Limited Edition?

What about the Yamaha R1 LE with the Ohlins and OZ wheels? I may be wrong about the brand of wheels, but I know they're a lightweight model. Was it tested last year by any of the print rags?

--Foxy

sanfrdnsun 05-08-2007 08:11 AM

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."

seruzawa 05-08-2007 09:33 AM

Re: R1 Limited Edition?

I don't remember it. Was it a factory build or a more local mod?

scottymac 05-08-2007 11:55 AM

MO should go for the scoop on Yamaha and electronic neutering

E-zines and print mags have been calling it a glitch or some sort of tuning oddity for some time now, starting with the then-new '04 R1's lack of low end and streetable oomph.

It got kind of overlooked or forgotten about eventually, but the wailing and gnashing of teeth happened again in '06 when the new FZ-1 debuted. "Disappointing that it's such a struggle to loft the front end in lower gears" was the phrase that pays post-ride report by most outfits.

So what's the deal? Has Yamaha forgotten how to make a killer street motor? The first and second gen R1 and first Gen FZ-1 mills were great all-around mills for their displacement, meaty through the middle and manic on top.

No question internal architecture has something to do with it. Favoring a larger bore and a shorter stroke will always bias towards the top end, and then there's mapping, exhaust design, etc. , etc.

The truth, and the larger culprit, is that Yamaha is electonically limiting these bikes in the first three gears. "That's crazy talk!" you say. 'Fraid not fellow sportsmen.

The evidence has been ferreted out by none other than super-tuner Ivan Rovinsky of Ivan's Performance Products. Stop by the FZ1OA sometime and have a look at the dyno charts by gear on a completely bone stock bike. (The FZ and R1 charts are of course not 1:1, but you'll get the picture.)

According to Ivan, this technique is employed in the R1s from 04-up, the 06+ R6, and the 06+ FZ-1. How it works (read: how to beat it) is still under scrutiny, and why it's there is an even greater head scratcher.

This is not to say that the typical mods du jour don't improve things. They do. But it's plain to see that there's definitely a dramatic effect happening. 1st gear yields slightly better than the average 600cc supersport numbers, second gear gets you a little more, and third a little more still. It isn't until fourth gear that you can "have" the full payload of the motor.

Maybe this isn't any sort of huge news. Maybe some manufacturers have been doing this on the sly for years to save us from ourselves. All I know is that one, it is in fact a reality and two, somebody in the MC press should attempt a story on it. Love it or hate it, it's interesting stuff.

PS- Kudos to Suzuki for offering a at least a choice via buttons on the dash!

DonM 05-08-2007 06:52 PM

Re: We don' need no steenking GUIs

Yea, a clean webpage sure has worked well for GOOGLE.

Also, I like being able to look up past motorcycle reviews so easily in MO . MO should buy up the reviews of other mags and add them to theirs.

As for content, how about a Gabe cam? Have some kid follow him around 24/7 with a Bluetooth webcam.

The_AirHawk 05-08-2007 07:06 PM

Interestingly enough, I'm about to start a book titled Talk of the Devil (encounters with seven dictators) by Riccardo Orizio. It's interviews and stories told by the likes of Idi Amin, Jean-Bedel Bokassa, Mira Markovic (Slobodan Milosevic's Wife), and others.

"By turns chilling and comical, rational and absurd, Talk of the Devil brings into focus forgotten history and people we have viewed as evil incarnate, who embody James Baldwin's maxim that "No Man is a Villain in his own eyes." (from the dust-jacket)

The_AirHawk 05-08-2007 07:09 PM

Re: We don' need no steenking GUIs

"Will you MOfos not even let me take a DUMP in Peace? Shut that thing OFF!!!"

Ole1 05-09-2007 03:41 AM

Awesome read,

Much Beaucoupes Gracci to everybody involved !

The MO stylin' way of reviewing stands waaaayyy above the rest, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You !

Everybody's "my garage" comments were spot on, to the point, and should sell everyone reading it on the Big Red One ...

..you should have took Cerro (up) instead of Lockwood ... next time

Kevin_Duke 05-09-2007 01:02 PM

Thanks, all, for your fairly glowing comments about this shootout, my first project as the new ed-in-chief around here. We think it's pretty damn good, too, but they're only going to get better as we kick it into another gear.

Regarding the Ducati situation, here's how it played out:

Because the 1098 is the most hyped sportbike of the year, test units were understandably in short supply, of both the standard and S versions. Naturally, the glossy print mags got first dibs. Plus, Ducati decided to bring in just a couple standard models vs more Ss.

So when Honda said "we don't think the $20K 1098S is in the same class as the CBR" and they hinted that they might not participate in the shootout, we decided not to upset the apple cart. Suzuki also expressed come concern. However, they both were okay with having the standard ($15K) model, but Ducati had none to offer. Several of the Ducati press fleet bikes had been wadded by other testers.

Objectively, putting a $20K bike against a $12K is a little unfair. Subjectively, all of us would've loved to have any 1098 in the test. MO was lucky enough to snag a 1098S for a few days, and we brought it out to Willow during our shootout, but it wasn't wasn't on the same tires and not an official part of the comparo. That said, that bike rocked! Stay tuned for that write-up.