Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-06-2007, 12:47 PM   #21
Kreb_Cycle
Registered Member

Default Re: 2007 Liter Bike Shootout

Ah, here in the city it's all the same. Stop and go isn't affect much by motorcycle type. It's all about image! Gotta go find me a milk crate.
He was a fattish but active man of paralyzing stupidity, a mass of imbecile enthusiasms—one of those completely unquestioning, devoted drudges on whom, more even than on the thought police, the stability of the Party depended. - George Orwell _1984_
Kreb_Cycle is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-06-2007, 12:48 PM   #22
seruzawa
The Toad

Like the roads in the Rockies. There's just no need for that much HP. What good is a bike that goes 100mph in 1st gear when 75mph will launch you off the mountain?
Old 05-06-2007, 01:28 PM   #23
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Liter bike plus

Oh I see. The Big4 tells MO what bikes to test.

This verifies what many of us believe.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:52 PM   #24
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Re: Wow! Great job, guys...

I can only practice in the Bahamas, Grenada or Outer Mongolia.

You'd be surprised to find out how lucrative a small yurt-law practice can be.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 05:11 PM   #25
Flickmeister
Registered Member

Welcome Duke Danger. I know you will raise the bar here. If you and Ken get into a "who is the best" war, the readership of both sites will certainly be the beneficiaries. Have at it!

You started off with a bang too. From last to first went the big red wing. Amazing. I thought, probably like most, it was simply a matter of how seriously the new Zuk would kick ass and who would finish second. I think your approach was very refreshing and while I think your results will be unique among the motopress, you wrote a great article and had excellent reasons to rock the usual "latest-greatest" boat. Nice job.

Since I am not a "gimmick" type of person, I honestly felt the '05-'06 Gixxer Thou' might be a better street bike versus the new gimmicky, flabbier '07 model. I would rather have the additional mid-range of the older models with a bit less top-end hit that the new one provides. Matter of fact, that's why I bought the literbike--to skip that 11,000 to 16,000 tap dance on the gearshifter the 600 & 750 require for maximum forward motion. I have never found my K6 to be lacking in that top-end hit part of the powerband either.

All of the above rationale leads me to two questions for the Motorcycle.com staff and any of you MOrons that have ridden these three machines: 1) Which is the better streebike, the '5-'06 GSXR1000 or the new '07GSXR model? 2) Since the '06 GSXR Thou' beat the CBR1000RR last year, and the CBR beat the '07 GSXR this year, which is the better street ride, the CBR or the '06 GSXR? I realize these questions may be difficult to answer with a different staff and different criteria, but any attempt to enlighten my alleged mind would be mucho appreciated. Thanks in advance. Cheers, Jack
Flickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 05:47 PM   #26
Flickmeister
Registered Member

While I haven't ridden the '07 GSXR1000, I seriously question whether the ABC switch will help or hinder. Maybe even be dangerous. Here's my thinking:

1) It may be used for a newbie rider as an excuse to buy a literbike. "But, Ma, I can make it a little 600 until I learn to use it....." Hell, any current 600 sportbike is way too much for a new rider.

2) A rider may think he is in the 'C' mode when the bike really is in the 'A' mode. If he treats an 'A' setting with a 'C' right wrist response, it sounds like a highside about to happen. I think this especially possible for a new rider that shuts his bike off in the 'C' mode since when he starts it, it will default back to the 'A' mode.

3) Most importantly, I think learning the feel of a bike with three different powerbands can be very confusing to any rider. When Freddie Spencer won both the 250 & 500 GP championships, he stated how difficult it was to change his riding style since both bikes were so completely different. Recently, Ben Spies said the same thing about his Superstock 1000 versus his Superbike. He said both were completely different and making the adjustment in riding techniques was difficult at best. My thought is that it takes a few thousand miles and several hours seat time to really learn a motorcycle. When you have done so, your have learned how the bike turns, stops, steers and responds to the throttle under all of these circumstances. Once you have learned how your machine will respond, you expect a specific input to yield the same response every time. When it responds differently than expected, it can be panic reaction time, maybe leading to a get-ff. Personally, I'd rather have a bike that will be consistent 100% of the time and let my right wrist and left brain control the throttle.

I'd sure appreciate any one's input on this topic especially since it's my theory without actually riding the bike Thanks! Cheers, Jack

Flickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 06:25 PM   #27
pdad13
Founding Member

No, not really astute. I know the "other" webzine encountered the same resistance. And this was after I read that there is a distinct shortage of 1098s--like all of them have been crashed.

Doesn't take Dr. Holmes to figure that one out.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 06:28 PM   #28
pdad13
Founding Member

In this case, I can understand the objection. The 1098 is closer to the Big 4 than ever before. It could be viewed as unfair to compare a bike that is nearly twice the price that sports full Ohlins. Doesn't mean I wouldn't have liked to see it.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 06:31 PM   #29
gbrummett
Founding Member

Default I think the price is $14,999 not $20,000

I think the price for a new 1098 is $14,999 not $20,000
gbrummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 06:32 PM   #30
gbrummett
Founding Member

Default What about in the rain?

Yes, that good be the case.

But for an experienced rider caught in the rain it could be a very nice option.
gbrummett is offline   Reply With Quote