Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Triumph's Long Journey Home (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/4465-triumphs-long-journey-home.html)

Jessefjeld 05-01-2007 08:01 PM

270? or 360?

Hey so on the article it talked about the America having a 270 firing interval versus the Bonneville's 360. Has anyone rode both, and is there a difference in engine performance? Which sounds better? Just curious. I know on some of the xs650 engines that there is a kit to give it 270 firing, which supposedly makes it sound really nice.

conchscooter 05-01-2007 09:36 PM

Re: Triumph's Long Journey Home

I'm no fan of feet-forward cruisers but its worth noting that all chain driven Triumphs can have belts with Quiet Power Drive Belts from some dude in a shed in Pennsylvania. His accessory makes a modern"standard" Bonnie a possibility for an anti-chain fanatic like me.

schizuki 05-01-2007 09:47 PM

Mrs. Paul is coming home with an empty boat.

anrajala 05-02-2007 12:05 AM

Always focussing on the essential I have to point out there is no such thing as Scottish whiskey. Its whisky for gossakes. Gringos and other uncilvilized schmucks make whiskey but thatÂ’s another matter.

- cruiz-euro

svtech 05-02-2007 01:40 AM

And almost every time I see the shade or color descriptive adjective gray spelled with an e, my mind triggers the word "variant".

Not to worry, though, Gabe.

I actually querried my dictionary about that word a few years back, and, lo and behold, there was a picture of kook - either hugging a tree or being thrashed by a small limb. Maybe both. Tough call in that there was no motorcycle in evidence with which to gain a perspective.

BTW, does this report mean that you're back, or haven't left, or you owed MO one last shot, or that there's a pending dot.com merger?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Renewal time is just around the corner ...

xlr8r 05-02-2007 01:53 AM

I'm worried about your bar connoisseurship. You let something slip by comparing Laphroaig to a expensive 'blend'. Blend? The whole point of single malts is that they are exactly that: blends are the cheaper end of the market! And FWIW, it's said that Prince Charles prefers Laphroaig, though whether that will make you like it more or swear off it for life depends on how you view the concept of hereditary monarchs. I seem to remember you declared independence from such a scheme in 1776. Finally, you failed to mention the defining flavours of the stuff: unlike every other whisky made, it tastes of disinfectant, tar and seaweed ( just so other MOridians know what they're letting themselves in for). Personally, I love it, but that's just me.

svtech 05-02-2007 02:12 AM

Not required.

He's made it perfectly clear that he can already afford anything he wants.

Errrr, except for a battery, and maybe a battery charger, and possibly a real motorcycle to support the photo that he borrowed from another web site.

I don't mean to beg, but if you do win that PB lotto, I'll find some way to fit one more bike in my garage, even if it means that I have to relocate my beer fridge.

svtech 05-02-2007 03:58 AM

J. H. C!

Just what we really need on this motorcycle site: another open discussion about more flavor versus great taste.

Years ago, I sampled a lite Scot (about seven stone-four as I remember), and there was no hint or aroma of disinfectant, tar, or seaweed. You'll have to trust me on this because my nostrils were well-flared and she was very receptive to my tasting techniques.

We never got around to discussing either the monarchy or the War Against The Colonies. After all, I had to return to do my little part to save the world from communism.

Something has stuck with me for these many years, though, and that is single can be good.

Blended is much better.

Your results may vary and I don't know shyte about Scotch.

longride 05-02-2007 04:58 AM

"What were you doing in 1967? Personally, I was not yet born, but those of you who had more consciousness than a zygote may remember a time when Triumph

A little traveling music, please...

Motorcycles, ltd. was one of the best-known brands, well known for comfort, handling and leading-edge performance."

You could tell he wasn't born yet. By 1969 Triumph had the reputation of making oil leaking, electrically unstable, vibrating antiques. They made the same stuff in 1967, but after the CB 750 came out the spotlight was on the same problems Triumphs were famous for. The amazing thing is that they never fixed any of those problems all the way until they went out of business. Good thing the new Triumph company didn't go down that same road. I'd buy any of their bikes in a heartbeat, but the Speed Triple is the one I would most likely end up with. I test rode a Rocket and it's a monster. Cool bike.

BrowningBAR 05-02-2007 06:00 AM

None of the above. It was probably the last article Gabe put together before he left.