Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 03-28-2007, 08:17 AM   #11
JLWarrior
Registered Member

Default Re: Cutting Our Own Throats

The problem is the idiots emulating the stunts on city streets, just yesterday I saw a group of guys doing wheelies up a main street, in traffic, by a school. Not smart. But the cop in from of me ignored them, which was probably for the best, the only thing chasing them would have done is probably cause an accident. You know they would not have stopped, just took off through city traffic at warp speed.

God, I'm starting to sound like my old man. Kill me now.
JLWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-28-2007, 08:24 AM   #12
ejis
Founding Member

On the one hand I agree - if I'm paying to go see a show, I don't want to be subjected to some of that garbage - especially if I'm there with my son (kind of like commercials before a movie...) However, they do have a following in the community of interest, and a (legitimate?) reason to be there.

I don't see these guys as the end of the world though. Most people are bright enough to know the difference between the crazies and the rest of us who just want to enjoy motorcycling. If you ride responsibly, you are generally treated accordingly.

Also, I don't see these guys as much different than a legion of riders with open pipes (cruiser, sportbike, or whatever). They may be more dangerous, but they are just as anti-social and annoying.
ejis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 08:27 AM   #13
iamz
Founding Member

I don't like it either but it's not just motorcycles Fred. It's all of society and it's only going to get worse. Everything's extreme.
iamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 08:32 AM   #14
HelterSkelter
Founding Member

I disagree. IMO the vast majority of the non riding public think bikers are subversives even before all of the antics we may do are added in.

Let's review; Wearing leather=badboy, operating a vehicle without car like safety devices=crazy, 0-60 in 3 seconds=insane, having to watch traffic more carefully for motorbikes=irritating.

Lets face it, cagers already think we have screw loose and are frankly irritated by our presence on the roads. I'm sure that stuntaz, 120dB pipes and rolling burnouts are just the icing on the cake. I'm sure if we all behaved in an exemplary fashion most non bikers would still be our enemies.
HelterSkelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 08:53 AM   #15
SRMark
Founding Member

As many of you may know and far less care, I live in the sticks. Ding-weed central. The other day (Sunday I think) I was riding west on I-68 in Western Maryland. Doing about 75, I was passed by a crotch rocketeer. I'm guessing 110-120. Scared the poop outta me. Then this genius slowed back down a bit, hoisted the front end and road a wheelie for some time. A rare uphill straight gave me a good view for quite a while. All this took place amidst light freeway traffic: a few trucks, minivans, SUVs, etc. I got some not-so-friendly glances from the non-biking traffic. Nice.

Then I pulled onto Rt. 55, a country two lane, and was approached by a KTM rider who was riding a very nice wheelie down the road at about 50mph. Again, in light traffic.

Where are these assholes coming from? I don't mind the show at the track, but this schit spills over to the streets. As we've seen here on MO, even Sportster riders are getting in on the act. That bozo not only took it to the streets, he took it to the sidewalks as well.

To condone street-based stunting in a forum of major representatives of the motorcycle industry is just plain wrong. Thanks Fred. As usual, your insight is crystal clear and your words even more so.

SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 08:55 AM   #16
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"I'm sure if we all behaved in an exemplary fashion most non bikers would still be our enemies."

DING DING DING We have a winner! I'd say they would ALL still be our enemies. Motorcycles by their very nature are polarizing. You love em or hate em.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:16 AM   #17
ejis
Founding Member

If we all behaved in an examplary fasion, no one would notice us. We wouldn't be heralded as resource saving heroes, but we also wouldn't be singled out as anti-social loonies.

Drivers don't hate pedestrians, bus riders, cab users, or cyclists - unless they get pissed off. It would be the same way with motorcycles.

Unfortunately all it takes is one stunter or uber-loud bike to ***** off an entire highway of high strung, caged commuters.
ejis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 09:22 AM   #18
HelterSkelter
Founding Member

>If we all behaved in an examplary fasion, no one would notice us.<

No offence, but on which planet?
HelterSkelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 09:51 AM   #19
testcase
Founding Member

I gotta beg to differ on one point. Cyclists are hated.

--------------------------------------------------
The Wheelnerds Podcast - http://www.wheelnerds.com
testcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 09:52 AM   #20
SmokeU
Registered Member

Default Re: CHILL OUT!

meeeooowww