Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 03-23-2001, 07:07 AM   #41
fasthrc
Founding Member

Default Use your head before you talk

A 3 liter outboard motor I'm guessing has 6, or 8 cylinders. My parents have a 90hp V4 outboard that i think is in the 1.5 liter league. It turns full out at about 5500. A 3 liter 6 cylinder would have 500cc cylinders making the motor turn 6000 at best(about same as CR500). Obviously it is not cut and dry like that, but tell me about the last car you saw with a 2 stroke, at the dragstrip. Not happenin'. And I live 3 miles from a dragstrip , and have taken my roadbike and my truck down for a run. Of course 750cc 2-strokes beat 750cc 4-strokes, but I doubt they do today, I also will garuntee you can't find a 500cu in 2-stroke that will touch a rail car motor.

As long as you bring up boats, the biggest 2-stroke motors you can get are about 250hp? Then you start pairing them up. If you've looked at boat racing lately, you'll notice 4-stroke v-8's and desiels powering boats...not huge displacement 2-strokes. If you think my theory is so wrong, tell me why 3 liter 4-strokes turn 19,000 rpm and GP bikes are turning 13,000 with 1/6th the motor but 2/5ths the number of cylinders. There must be some reason Honda doesn't have there's turning 17000 anyways.

I might sound like I hate 2-strokes but I don't. I've owned several and currently own a CR250 which is loads of fun. But...2-strokes are only efficient and effective with small displacements.
fasthrc is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-23-2001, 07:59 AM   #42
hindle
Founding Member

Default Re: What would you ask a 500 GP Racer?

The WSBK bikes have come a long way in the last 10 years that's for sure.

Problem is you can't compare a practice session on qualifing tires to a time set during an actual race on tires designed to provide grip for the entire race duration.

Plus you have two different riders.

If you really want to compare the bikes you get an experieced rider that has time on 4-strokes and 2-strokes. Then you let him ride the bikes under the same condistions.

Bostrom's fast lap on the Duck with soft tires in a practise session compared to Roberts lap time on the Suzuki GP bike during an actual race is like comparing apples and oranges.

Congrats to Bostrom for cutting the lap and personally I hope he and Edwards lead the way for the championship this year but in my mind that is no comparison by which one can judge and say one bike is better then the other.
hindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2001, 08:03 AM   #43
hindle
Founding Member

Default Re: Use your head before you talk

Look at F1 racing. They turn high rpm's because they take a small engine and split it into 10 or 12 cylinders. The moving parts become so small it's much easier to spin the engine higher. Plus they use advanced valve train technology allowing them to open and close the valves faster wth more accuracy. Duh.
Old 03-23-2001, 08:06 AM   #44
hindle
Founding Member

Default Re: I

Excellent point.
Old 03-23-2001, 11:47 AM   #45
BlainetheMono
Founding Member

1) Yamaha FJ1100, before they changed the tire combination. Probably 1985 or 86. Excellent long range sport tourer while still maintaining a semblance of a canyon carver.....Great engine, reliable, smooth and tractable..... and it wont be wore out at 50k miles.

2) Kawaskai KL650. Great dual purpose bike. For those weekend back road jaunts. Ride to the spot on your bike and jump offroad with hardly a second thought. Cant beat that electric start either.....
BlainetheMono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2001, 05:18 PM   #46
fasthrc
Founding Member

Default Re: Use your head before you talk

Of course, but Lincoln seems to think that no valve train means no limit to rpm.

Tell him Lincoln... '2-strokes rule!'
fasthrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2001, 06:09 PM   #47
headhunterracing
Founding Member

Default Re: What would you ask a 500 GP Racer?, From the Author!

Hello MO readers, I am the person that is doing the story on Walker. The Interview is done and i would like to thank everyone that sent in a question. I did pick about 15 reader questions.I think its a great idea to let MO readers a chane to ask a GP racer a question, and it work out great. and yes i will have them in the story. Im getting the story ready to go.

Thanks again to evryone.

JR Hunter
headhunterracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2001, 06:11 PM   #48
metal
Founding Member

You don't powerslide into a corner. You either trailbrake into a corner or powerslide out of it. Pick your poison. I'll take both!
metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2001, 06:13 PM   #49
metal
Founding Member

Default Re: What would you ask a 500 GP Racer?, From the Author!

Hope the story will be run through a spellchecker before posting
metal is offline   Reply With Quote