Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 03-21-2001, 02:15 PM   #21
powerslide
Founding Member

Default Re: What would you ask a 500 GP Racer?

The only thing that i would ask a grand prix racer is.

Can i take your race bike for a spin? And how many laps will you let me do on it?
powerslide is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-21-2001, 03:07 PM   #22
BammBamm
Founding Member

Did you have any trouble screwing Suzuki and the team that got you where you are for a ride on a Honda V4 GP bike?
BammBamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2001, 03:22 PM   #23
TCAir
Founding Member

What's your favorite joke?

Mine is

"Two blondes walk into a building...you figured one of them would have seen it."
TCAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2001, 03:37 PM   #24
thatguyjohn
Founding Member

When you and Troy Bayliss collided in the British Superbike series and started swinging at each other in the gravel pit, did you ever find each other after the corner workers broke it up, or do you still want to kick his a@@?
thatguyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2001, 03:46 PM   #25
Lincoln
Founding Member

Default it ain't hype

jeez, here we go again. Bostrum turns one fast lap and all of the sudden WSB bikes are as good as GP.

get a clue
Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2001, 03:56 PM   #26
Lincoln
Founding Member

Default my question

1) Can you describe the differences between say a Ducati 996 and the NSR500. power differences, braking, handling etc. so that the readers here will believe once and for all that WSB bikes would get their asss's handed to them if they tried to go toe to toe with a grand prix bike? thankyou very much

Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2001, 05:29 PM   #27
fasthrc
Founding Member

Default Re: it ain

I've been really surprised by all the garbage hiding in the news posts. People bad mouthing 4-strokes, and WSB. I don't want to get people going but I really thought you guys would be more open minded. Yes...Ben's lap was not the ordinary lap but he did lap faster than many GP bikes just a week or so earlier. I'm not going to say WSB is better than GP, i personally believed GP had much better equipment, but now I'm not so sure, and neither should anyone else. There is no reason GP bikes 'have' to be better than WSB, and there is very similar riding talent in both camps.

As far as the 4-stroke thing goes, personal choice is about as good as it gets...except there are some internal combustion things that eventually take over. 2-strokes rely on port timing. As the volume (cm^3) of a cylinder increases the area (cm^2) for the ports on the cylinder wall increase at a smaller rate. There is an rpm limit for a 2-stroke motor depending more on cylinder size than bore and stroke. For 125cc cylinders it's about 13,000? 250cc is about 9500? For 4-strokes they are only limited by stroke length, and valvetrain speed. You never see anyone drag racing 2-strokes(a place that enviromentalists haven't gotten to yet) because they would only be able to run 1000 rpm or something with 500 cu in V8's while the 4's are running like 10000rpm. RPM = HP 400hp/liter is possible at 500cc but the bigger the motor the lower that number will be. And just adding more cylinders of smaller size add weight and length to a motor. and then internal friction and complications with crankshafts get beyond control. If anyone wishes to continue this aurgument fine, but I'll stop now, because I know people have stopped listening.

fasthrc
fasthrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2001, 05:39 PM   #28
Haga
Founding Member

What went into the decision to leave Suzuki and join Honda?

How much(if any) input have you had in the new V5 engine implementation?

If no to the above question, do you feel riders like Biaggi and the Yamaha team will have an advantage in the 4-stroke era having already had their input on the total bike design for the new Yamaha(i.e. would it be easier on a bike designed with you and a few others in mind specifically)?

Do you think 4-stroke GP racing will bring about the demise of World Superbike?
Haga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2001, 12:41 AM   #29
Per
Founding Member

Default I'm impressed

Whoa this is the first time I've read a post here from someone that has a very good idea about what he are talking about, although (it appears that) you forgot something Fasthrc : There's nothing preventing a two-stroke having valves (hint look at big ship diesels). I can't tell you if this will raise the size the HP/liter ratio though.
Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2001, 02:28 AM   #30
ducatirdr
Founding Member

Suzuki seems to have a serious bike this year to race in the WSB. You were being set up to be Suzuki's number one rider in the WSB. Chances are you were going to have a great bike and with your skills the chance to win a WSB Championship were really good. Now that you are struggling with your coming up to speed on the NS500 do you have any regrets? How long are you giving yourself before you expect a podium finish?
ducatirdr is offline   Reply With Quote