Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 03-01-2007, 06:03 PM   #1
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: 2007 Ducati Multistrada 1100

I have always thought that the standard layout made for better control in non race track conditions. Yossef's observations bear that out. Ohlins suspension if just icing on the cake. Nice job Yossef.
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-01-2007, 06:05 PM   #2
ksquid
Banned

Default Excellent Review Ugly Ducati

"Terblanche's design decisions mean it's a scoot that you either love or hate." That sentence says it all I hate the looks.. Fun read thanks Yossef...
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 06:12 PM   #3
bowtydaddy
Registered Member

Another great article by Yossef. As for me, I'll wait for the HyperMotard.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:22 PM   #4
greatoldbikes
Founding Member

I'm sure it's as fine-riding a bike as is on the road today and sounds the business. But why don't I EVER see one on the road? Why, because they are UGLY. Dear gawd, the friggin Lunar Lander was better looking. C'mon Ducati, give the Multistrada a multi-makeover in the looks department. I'd rather ride an old Radian. At least I wouldn't get laughed at.

GOB
Old 03-01-2007, 06:23 PM   #5
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

The HyperMotard certainly is a cool looking scoot. Probably lacks some of the versatility of the Multi Strada though.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:25 PM   #6
schizuki
Founding Member

"I'd rather ride an old Radian. "

Hey, I had a Radian. Terrific bike.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 06:30 PM   #7
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Hey I ride an old GS100. Compared to that a Radian or a Multi Strada is a beautiful bike.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:53 PM   #8
schizuki
Founding Member

OK, I'm going Googless here. Help me out.

IFAIK, these are Terblanche's designs:

1) Supermono and Desmosedici

2) 999.

3) Multistrada.

4) Supersport.

5) Sport Classics (including that MHR thing).

6) ST

Now, #1 are beauts, but not for street sales. #6 was a subtle redesign of (I believe) someone else's original. Not good, not bad. #2 was a stylistic and sales failure. #4 was a ghastly redesign. #3 - well, I say ghastly, others say funky, sales say "try again." #5 is quite debatable - most folks love 'em, I like them but still think that they're closer to caricatures than homages. And how hard is it to design retro bikes?

So, in numerical order, there's one pair of clear winners, one somewhat-homely failure, one polarizing design with fewer defenders than detractors, one insanely fugly irrelevance (does anyone even talk about these models?), one set of winners (that's leaving my opinion out, since I seem to be alone in this), and one "eh, whatever."

So tell me why Terblanche shouldn't be considered a handicap to Ducati. I'm not saying I'm right, because style is subjective. But the guy's track record for street bikes doesn't seem too impressive (and his biggest street success were the easiest to design.) When I read interviews with the guy, and what the writers say afterwards, it just seems like he's a bigger bullshyt artist than bike artist, and Ducati is as spellbound as the moto press.

I'd love to hear a counterpoint. Again, these are just my opinions. I'm not presenting this as gospel by any means.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 07:02 PM   #9
oleland
Registered Member

In my humble opinion my Multi is beautiful and gets better looking every time I ride it. Yossef is spot on when he says it has the ability to embarrass full on sport bikes. I also think my KLR 650 is very pretty.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:20 PM   #10
ncelik
Registered Member

It's ugly.

Motorcycles are supposed to be emotional objects - unpractical, but providing fun while looking good.

This one is not making you look good.
ncelik is offline   Reply With Quote