Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 03-19-2001, 10:23 AM   #1
lkwei
Registered Member

Default Re: Mondial Piega Superbike Feedback

It is conceivable that Honda might be considering such a move. If Honda wins the SBK championship this year, I think they might do this. If they don't I would expect them to be back the next year to attempt to go out on a winning note.
lkwei is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-19-2001, 11:23 AM   #2
bimota
Founding Member

Default Truly a superbike

Hopefully they will actually get around to making and racing some of these. Too many bikes like this never go racing and fizzle out after only a few copies are made. Personally, I'm starting to worry about that Tornado Benelli. It looks like a screamer, and that RC51 motor is the best twin going.
bimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2001, 11:44 AM   #3
stevegrab
Founding Member

Two things...

First I read the article and then clicked the "Reader Feedback" link, and when it displayed the comments it did not show them with my default settings. Instead of a threshold of 1, and threaded, the threshold was -1 and nested. It did recognize me as the proper user, but does not load the defaults when you get the comments this way.

Second (and I'm really not complaining just curious), when I started reading this, I thought it sounded familiar. I went to a few other MC sites I follow, and sure enough virtually the same story is there at 2WF.com (posted Friday 3-16), written by the same author Glenn Le Santo. What gives, is this guy a free lancer in Europe that writes for all of the online magazines run out of the US? I read somewhere (in another story by him at MO) it said, From our European Correspondent. Evidently, MO is not the only one he's a correspondent from.

I'm not trying to accuse MO of anything, I'm just wondering how the readers are supposed to understand this. I rarely read a story in print, only to find the same story printed in a competing magazine, by the same author. It just makes it hard when you are reading news on different sites, to realize that you may be reading the same story.

Are these almost like wire reports, where many newspapers will print the same story?
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2001, 11:47 AM   #4
Haga
Founding Member

Interesting looking bike... kind of a Ducati-Suzuki-Yamaha combo in the outside with a Honda inside. Sounds like they've tried to at least make the thing recognizable as something of a racer without making it a sore thumb. Does anyone know who's riding the thing in May at Misano???

I really doubt Honda will pull out considering they have a defending champion and probably the strongest team since Kocinski-Fogarty went 1 and 2 on the RC45. Even if they are going to leave eventually, I doubt the Big Red folks would let a defending champion or top 5 finsiher hang out to dry.
Haga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2001, 12:27 PM   #5
TitaniumCanoe
Founding Member

Excellent points! Internet journalism needs more criticism and improvement.
TitaniumCanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2001, 02:36 PM   #6
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

Default Re: Truly a superbike

Sorry, the prilia got a power boost this year, along with the ducati. Guys in the know says the duck puts out a smidgen mo' power than the honda, but I don't think that will be for long. Aprilia has probably got things really going this year with their new engine.... Can it do as well at the other tracks?
Joe_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2001, 03:53 PM   #7
bimota
Founding Member

Default Re: Truly a superbike

A) I meant its street incarnation, and B) I meant for real world applications, i.e. the Honda unit is far more reliable.
bimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2001, 05:39 PM   #8
telliot647
Founding Member

The bike looks nice, but how much real testing have they done? Will it really be competitive when it finally hits the track? Sure it has a great engine in it, but there's a lot more to racing than that.

I think Honda could easily walk away from WSB. They admit that they are primarily an engine manufacturer who just happens to build the things to put their engines in. If they stopped racing WSB and just sold engines, it would fit perfectly for them. They can still develop 4 stroke technology, which is their strong suit, in GP's now, so what do they need WSB for? Championships? I doubt it - I'm sure they'd be happy only touting their GP victories, especially if the other big factories start pulling out in favor of GP's. WSB will turn into the series for small niche manufacturers to show off their design skills. Besides, whatever technology that shows up in the 4 stroke GP's would shortly make it's way to WSB, so any team just operating in WSB would (in theory, at least) be behind on the learning curve.

Maybe it's all a bunch of crap. It doesn't matter this year - the season's started an (mostly) everybody's racing again - Finally!!
telliot647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2001, 02:40 AM   #9
sportrdr
Founding Member

Umm, that was Kocinski and Slight and they went 1 and 3 in '97. Slight and Fogarty went 2 and 4 respectively in '96, the only year Fogarty rode for Castrol Honda.
sportrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2001, 03:35 AM   #10
hindle
Founding Member

I think it was a great loss when Yamaha and Haga pulled out of the WSBK championship. If Honda pulled out as well it would be another great loss to the championship.

Why don't they just get it over with. Combine the series. Woudln't you love to see Roberts, Rossi, Baylliss, Bostrom, Haga, Edwards, Corsor, Max B all going at it in the same race! You have to admit it would be exciting. Assuming the WSBK guys had 4-stroke machinery that could compete with the GP machinery which I don't believe they do at this time.
hindle is offline   Reply With Quote