Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 03-20-2001, 06:53 AM   #11
lkwei
Registered Member

Default Re: Mondial Piega Superbike Feedback

I actually found that when US print motorcycle magazines first started using British editors, (Roland Brown comes to mind), the articles were mearly re-writes of articles appearing in the British mags that they work for. Some times, even the pictures were the same. So there is precedent for this kind of behavior, not that I agree with it. I buy other periodicals to gain an independant analysis, not to re-read the same article about some bike.
lkwei is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-20-2001, 07:10 AM   #12
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

Default Re: Truly a superbike

maybe, but it has very abrupt throttle (the one i rode anyway) and very poor gas mileage (less than 20mpg in some cases)
Joe_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2001, 07:15 AM   #13
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

Yeah, I waited forever for the season to start. MOre interest in the past few years has been in superbike, not GP, but many think that is about to change. Maybe that's why the manufacturers stay in. Half of the time the most money comes from the sponsors, so it's financially feasible for A name like Honda to cover more than one series. More people that I know never watch GP races, but they would tell you about that last AMA or WSB race.. I would rather have watched Haga and Bayliss go at it last year like they did in that one race than Kenny and Rossi, though I love the way kenny rides.
Joe_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2001, 08:50 AM   #14
blip
Founding Member

Steve et al.:

Glenn makes his living as a Freelance writer. He's contracted to MO to do X number of monthly features for Y dollars.

MO doesn't care what he sells to other magazines -- bully for him if he can string the same story to 27 magazines worldwide. Really, we don't even care what appears in other magazines, most of our readers don't read major print mags, and few read the small web sites too. A luxury of having the largest readership.

You've missed the main content feeder to magazines around the world: Alan Cathcart. He strings for at least 50 magazines worldwide. He does good stuff, but we've chosen to put our faith in Glenn, he's young and agressive.

Calvin hard-coded the reader feedback link with thresholds and preferences, he's correcting it now.
blip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2001, 12:33 PM   #15
crg
Founding Member

Although I am not sure what machines they run, you can usually see all or most of these guys racing at the Suzuka 8-hour. You will also get to see Yamaha factory running the r7 in that endurance race.

I can't recall exactly, but I think Colin Edwards and Valentino Rossi were on the same team last year, and were doing well until they crashed one too many times.
crg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2001, 07:41 PM   #16
metal
Founding Member

I don't think the series should be combined. To me, GP represents a kind of rare delicate balance of the finest talent with the greatest resources. We've all read various journos' test rides of real race bikes and basically the concensus is that GP machinery is on totally different level from even WSB bikes. That's not to say WSB riders are any less talented than the GP guys. I think the real distinction is in the flavor and the atmosphere around each series. Personally I think WSB is more entertaining to watch. There is more room for agression, whereas GP is all about achieving a perfect ride from yourself and the bike. That's why I think Chris Walker's move to GP instead of WSB was a bad decision. I don't think he'll fit in.
metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2001, 10:05 PM   #17
TCAir
Founding Member

Honda dropping WSB? Doubtful. Honda is a full on vehicle building company. (Not just an engine manufacture that just happens to build something to put it in as some would suggest.) Motorcycle racing has always been a high priority, especialy with the win on Sunday sell on Monday attitude with most sport bikers. Honda knows this and knows it translate into real world sales and development. Honda bikes are some of the best handling in the world. Period. (Not knocking the Italians, I love my Cagiva, but I have to give credit where it is due here.) As far as the effect of the Mondial and the four-stroke GP bikes, the Mondial is a debt of honor from the 50 or 60's racing program when Honda asked for a Mondial motor. They complied and helped Honda with the development of their own motor. Now Mondial needs a motor. Honda, being honorable, is returning the favor. Actually it comes as a benifit to both companies. Mondial gets a world class engine, R&D, and tech support. For Honda it gives them another platform to develop from. Allowing both teams to benifit from different setup's in suspension, chassis, AND engines.

Hopefully we will see the awesome carbon fiber swingarm on the RC51, but wait, if the Mondial uses the pivotless system that Honda uses...maybe we can. Anybody got a extra Mondial swingarm and extra RC51 laying around anywhere?
TCAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2001, 10:13 PM   #18
TCAir
Founding Member

Something I forgot. Honda might, put the big word might in there, pull back some resources from WSB. I don't believe they would completely remove themselves from the series though. To back this I give an example. Does anyone remember the 80's when Honda went flat tracking against Harley and beat the crap out of them at local tracks and then said they would no longer compete at a factory level? They left flat tracking for numourous reasons, (rules etc) but they didn't abandone they're faithful. Jim's M/C Sales in Johnson City TN got regular visits from the regional Honda guy. He always checked out the shops flat tracker... This bike has a very good track record with the Hayes riding it, they don't forget dealership's racing efforts.
TCAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2001, 10:20 AM   #19
stevegrab
Founding Member

Blip says, "most of our readers don't read major print mags, and few read the small web sites too"

Really, what makes you think that? I don't know of anybody that is interested in motorcycling that reads only one source for information. Most subscribe and read several magazines, plus a handful of web sites. How about a poll of your readers to see what other motorcycle stuff they read.

You really think MO is that great, that your readers don't read anything but MO? I hope you've gotten all the donations you need, because these type of comments will turn many people off.
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2001, 10:31 AM   #20
HankMurphy
Founding Member

I didn't see this in the article...were they able to discuss the crass topic of how much the bike will cost?
HankMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote