Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 02-01-2007, 05:30 AM   #81
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

Default Re: Gluge

i don't sweat it. Gives "em" somethin two B happy 'bout, they learnd us MOrons. gives me the heads up on who/what I's dealin wit.
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-01-2007, 05:33 AM   #82
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Default Re: Slow Down!

Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 05:36 AM   #83
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

I love buying used.

It's almost like getting a free bike.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 05:48 AM   #84
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

Cool.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:55 AM   #85
Gritboy
Founding Member

What a hoot! So true regardless of what city or area you're in that has heavy traffic and gridlock. I was a courier many years back in SF and I definitely got some skills from it, but car drivers are much worse "make that aggressively competitive" these days. A rider has to employ all their superpowers to predict, avoid, etc. as the droves of cellphone-earred, dvd watching, bass till you bleed bouncin', two fisted burger eating, SUV and lifted truck dominated roads. And these people are worried about violence and guns they way they drive? Cull the herd... cull the herd.

All I can say is my zen state is usually pretty good in traffic and my monster state I let out when I hit the back-roads or have no cars nearby. As naco_traficante says, when the milkcrate comes off it's time for some crazy fun.
Gritboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 06:04 AM   #86
perversity
Registered Member

I learned to ride in London, England. You think the traffic is brutal here? Try making the lane size smaller and the drivers more aggressive.

One day, while splitting lanes on the motorway the back doors of a stationary van ahead of me in the fast lane opened and construction workers piled out to stop me in my tracks! In conditions like those I learned a trick or two myself, like snapping on the front brake just hard enough to compress the front forks so my mirrors could duck under the mirrors of the mini-van that was just a little too close.

Having also commuted on the highways an byways of LA for a number of years I have some interesting observations I'd like to share:

Novice riders should show some courtesy when it comes to lane splitting. Lane splitting is an instinctual process for me and there is nothing more frustrating than getting stuck behind someone who feels 25mph is an appropriate speed when I know I could be going twice that fast.

On the same note, once I've gone past, don't try and keep up. As Pete metioned, this is not a race and I have 16 years of practice. Trying to keep up will simply lead to someone getting hurt, and it won't be me (unless I get rear-ended by a novice biker who's riding too close and not paying attention).

Split behind the cop - On the 405 there's usually a CHIPs rider or two. They are well trained and riding behind them through traffic will always teach you a thing or two. Remember to hang back a respectful distance and enjoy the show.

When you get to the front of the line for the traffic lights and there is a bike following you, make room for them at the front line. Then neither of you are susceptable to getting squeezed by the cars you've managed to get past.

In the Aerostitch catalogue is an EMP for destroying cell phones. When that becomes a real product let me know because I want one. People need to understand that when they are talking on their cell phone they are no longer driving.

Ride safe everyone, and remeber to check your rear-view mirror to see who you are holding up. It could be me.
perversity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 06:32 AM   #87
jasonlion54
Founding Member

Sounds like you're riding with your ego, which will get you killed and is exactly what Pete was advocating against in his article. Do it on a bike and kill yourself, fine. But if you drive like that in a car, you're probably gonna kill someone else. I hope you die on your bike before you kill someone with your car.
jasonlion54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 06:48 AM   #88
mitctho
Registered Member

You guys, so ****y and 'in control' when you ride fast, often end up meeting the moment when you aren't in control. Due to your speed, it comes too fast for you to evade and you pay the price. When riding in traffic, you are never in control, not for a moment. Ksquids accident video post is a perfect example. Is an extra 10mph worth it when it means you are carted off the scene of an accident rather than walking away or avoiding it altogether?

Thanks for the advice, I'm smart enough to take it. Are you?

mitctho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 07:11 AM   #89
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

Default Re: longride we have another member for you.

Second.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:26 AM   #90
zenjim
Registered Member

Default Re: Great stuff Pete

Women in SUVs, guys in the tuned Civics, and local truckers act exactly the same in LA. I had a biatch on the cell in an SUV nearly punch my ticket when she abruptly changed lanes in front of me. She got close enough for me to understand the reason - her radio was so loud she couldn't hear herself on the phone.

And I had a local delivery guy giving me fits while he was on the cell. His bumpersticker - "Put down the cell and drive"!!