Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 02-01-2007, 02:07 AM   #61
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Default Re: Slow Down!

We would do two sow cows and a triple lutz, while wearing a blind fold.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-01-2007, 02:11 AM   #62
seruzawa
The Toad

Yeah, well there are a lot of Rubs out there who are on their first bike and don't have clue about how slow a big twin is compared to most I-4s. Eventually they learn that Harleys are for enjoying the scenery. Some of them spend huge amounts of money on Screaming Eagle accessories only to learn that a 15 year old GSX1100G will still humiliate them. Heh heh.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:15 AM   #63
seruzawa
The Toad

Choppers have become so passe' that the scooter has more cool factor. My wife wants a 125 Vino. I think I'll pick one up this spring for her so I can ride around on it.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:47 AM   #64
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Be sure to paint it flat black, lower it, and put a big @ss back tire on that thing.

It would be totally b!tchin'.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 02:56 AM   #65
hyperlite
Registered Member

I am a "follower". Not a tailgater, a follower. I use guys like you as rabbits when doing high speeds on long distance runs on superslabs. Not in LA. That would be insane. Just out on the slabs. I can put a couple of hundred yards between us and comfortably cruis at 15-25 mph over the limit with great confidence that any cop in the area will get you first. Thanks.
hyperlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 03:13 AM   #66
SRMark
Founding Member

God help you poor bastards who ride in the city. My daily commute includes 5 miles of interstate where the speed limit is 55 and drops to 40 through town. As the speed limit drops to 40, a lane merges from the right. The act of trying to slow down and move to the left lane to let someone aboard is more than most can handle. Those who have accelerated and merged on canÂ’t help but go faster than 40. Those who have moved over to accommodate the mergers, must then try to get back into the right lane to make their exit. So they have to go faster than those who are merging. If you try to stay in the right lane and not let the mergers in, youÂ’re an ******* and risk having a merger fail to yield. This is a downhill stretch followed by a very sharp curve to the left. Police often sit there, fishing for speeders. Self-control and courtesy are in short supply there. It drives me nuts and last for less than a mile. I would lose my mind in real city traffic. Slow down indeed!
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 03:16 AM   #67
SRMark
Founding Member

Our Maryland State Police to a wonderful job of cruising the highways picking off followers. They also have an amazing variety of unmarked vehicles. Be careful what you follow.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:17 AM   #68
fumanchu
Founding Member

...he'd then lightly return to mother earth, soft as a kitten licking the sweet ground; there he stands, an oak in all his radiance, and we the wretched must avert our eyes in shame as we suddenly see our false ways dashed against the radiant truth which is brian boitano.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:23 AM   #69
SRMark
Founding Member

He may have had a donut in his sights too.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:17 AM   #70
lownoterider
Registered Member

Pete- If you spot me back there- I'd be the guy on the Black K-Bike with the black suit and black helmet (notice a theme?)- I'm not trying to keep up with you. We who put on a lot of miles for work call guys like you "The Front Door". We'll get where we're going faster thanks to you, because we hang back a quarter mile and follow your mastery of traffic patterns. And you're likely the guy that either gets the ticket, or knows where to slow down. Win-win for the weary and wary business traveler.

I do know what you mean though. I too am a trained and aggressive rider and driver. I put on something like 40,000 miles a year doing industrial sales, about 17-18000 on 2 wheels. When someone is following me at a reasonable distance, I assume I'm playing the role of "Front Door". Once they pass me, I'm out until they're gone.

Ironically, the Darth Vader suit on my bike clears left-lane bandits like there's no tomorrow. They just get out of the way most of the time. Not LA traffic, but still, if I get behind one of 'em in my F250, they ignore me. Crazy.

Nice article, just thought I'd point out we're not all racing, some of us are along for the ride, gaining time and knowledge.
lownoterider is offline   Reply With Quote