Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 01-31-2007, 08:31 PM   #41
jvbruce
Registered Member

Default Re: Slow Down!

Most folks look in the rearview mirror to reflect. A motorcyclist looks in the rearview mirror to predict.

Bring it on Nitschze!
jvbruce is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-31-2007, 08:34 PM   #42
BimotaRich
Founding Member

I used to be a motorcycle delivery guy as well, and learned the ins and outs of traffic as a result (1995 Triumph 900 Speed Triple in St. Louis). I am not comfortable though being the lead bike. When another bike passes me, so long as they aren't going stupid fast, I will follow along. It gives me something to focus on and makes the ride more entertaining. And the lead bike usually gets the ticket! I truly believe that riding just a touch faster than the flow of traffic is the safest speed in many circumstances. It keeps you visible and alert. Following another person gives a sense of security and if you are lucky maybe someone to chat with at the next light.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:34 PM   #43
Gluge
Registered Member

Default Re:ksquid

Or apparently untill they make a spelling error?

If you want to be a english nazi though maybe you should watch your run on sentences. Maybe make sure they make sense too.
#867 Barrett Meeker Racing
Gaerne - Regina - Shoei - Bridgestone
-----------
Supervisor - Blur Studio

Endorsed by Longride - "Of course your points are unarguable. You are the smartest guy in the whole world ... What you really taught me is how little I really know about motorcycles and how much you know. Yes, you are the best and the smartest."
Gluge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 08:36 PM   #44
staff
Registered Member

Default I am here to say...

That Pete rides like a raped ape through LA traffic. I pride myself on riding like a total a-hole in heavy traffic, but I can't keep up with him unless I'm really trying and he isn't. I don't think he's a danger to anybody and he is very smooth.

I can't wait to take him lane-splitting on the Bay Bridge!

-Gabe
staff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 08:44 PM   #45
BimotaRich
Founding Member

I used to be a motorcycle delivery guy as well, and learned the ins and outs of traffic as a result (1995 Triumph 900 Speed Triple in St. Louis). I am not comfortable though being the lead bike. When another bike passes me, so long as they aren't going stupid fast, I will follow along. It gives me something to focus on and makes the ride more entertaining. And the lead bike usually gets the ticket! I truly believe that riding just a touch faster than the flow of traffic is the safest speed in many circumstances. It keeps you visible and alert. Following another person gives a sense of security and if you are lucky maybe someone to chat with at the next light.

Side note:

When I started out on a Rebel no one cared to race me... it wouldn't prove anything.

When I rode a Guzzi V65 Custom cars liked to try to get a rise out of me but I never gave chase.

When I rode a 1995 Speed Triple, I swear bikes came out of the woodwork and buzzed me constantly... they know the bike is fast, but probably their sport bikes are faster... so it was almost a fair fight...that they figured they could win.

When I rode a Bimota Tesi, no one dared get near save for the occasional supercar.

Now I ride a 1200 Daytona. It looks crazy fast and is so long as things are too twisty. The only people that ever try to draw me out are lunatics and Ducati riders (they are not to be confused). But my advanced age keeps me sane with the throttle so they quickly tire of the game.

I hope to go back to a Guzzi soon...
Old 01-31-2007, 08:45 PM   #46
sopwith
Founding Member

Default Re: Gluge

It is the precursor to the Ninja 500. The EX500 remained mechanically unchanged untill 1994 when Kawa dropped the EX. At that time they they added 280mm front and 210mm rear disks, shortened the gear box and added digital ignition. Call it what you want .
sopwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 08:56 PM   #47
Gluge
Registered Member

Thanks, but I have one so I didn't really need the info on it. It's a 1991 so it also has 16" wheels, which makes it hard to get good tires for.

In my opinion it's not a sport bike, I think this is inline with most peoples opinion of it.

So at least just call be an arrogant biker not that I wouldn't like to have a sport bike, but racing my RS125 takes all my spare funds.

#867 Barrett Meeker Racing
Gaerne - Regina - Shoei - Bridgestone
-----------
Supervisor - Blur Studio

Endorsed by Longride - "Of course your points are unarguable. You are the smartest guy in the whole world ... What you really taught me is how little I really know about motorcycles and how much you know. Yes, you are the best and the smartest."
Gluge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 09:04 PM   #48
sopwith
Founding Member

The implication was that if his aggressive driving is only acceptable to him and other motorist's aggressive driving is not- he ought to go easy and do the speed limit and do his speed on the track before his bad luck runs into the path of another motorist's bad luck.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:13 PM   #49
sopwith
Founding Member

How about arrogant non-cruiser biker?
Old 01-31-2007, 09:44 PM   #50
blagma
Registered Member

I ride a '01 Triumph Sprint ST, and I love ghosting rush hour traffic - can't seem to stop myself. Maybe it's a fear of having some car plow into the back of me. I've travelled behind bikes in my car, and I know how easy it is to focus on the wrong set of tail lights, ie. the ones on the car in front of the bike. The three classic car vs bike / bike vs car accidents: Oncoming car turns through inside lane queue thanks to a courteous queuing driver, in front of bike passing down outside lane (crunch); Car slows to the side on a straight road, almost stops, then U-turns in front of almost overtaking bike (crunch); Car smacks into back of bike in a queue of traffic (crunch). (I've never had a bike on car myself, and I've got no intention of doing so. Foot and hand covers the brakes, always.)

But I can't seem to stay put in a queue for long, even a fast well spaced one. Traffic slalom time! Those little smooth purposeful spurts of full throttle putting the bike through smaller and smaller gaps - I think it's addictive. Between two trucks side by side - hang back, watch for the inevitable weave, time it right, and go, fast and smooth, but not rushed. Panic and there could be real trouble.

Yes, I always always try to stare right in the car drivers eyes, either in mirrors, through side windows, or windscreens. The outline of the car I leave to the peripheral vision, which seems to work just fine at making sure I miss hitting anybody or anything. The center of my view, I use to make sure nobody hits *me*.

I really like the article by the way. Never really been bothered by cars, so long as you stay smooth and not *too* much faster in the overtake, I think you can maintain some respect and not get hassled. But move fast and I think it stirs something competetive, almost primitive, in drivers.

Just last night I gassed onto the motorway after visiting a friend in hospital (badly modified borrowed bike bit him...) - I see hear and feel some ****head in a POS car coming hard behind me, and I move out of the way. (OK I have to admit, it was fast, probably as quick as my tubby ST!) He takes off, chopping in front of several cars, and gone. About 3 clicks later I'm ghosting past him a lane away. He takes off again, chopping, gassing it. We're approaching our cities harbour bridge, it's got 4 lanes each way but divided into 4 pairs in total. I see him at the last second dive for the two completely free middle lanes - they're free because they're X'd (closed)!!!!

Thing is, people definitely let their adrenaline stir them into making bad decisions. Don't be goaded - been there - done that. Mixed with anger, it's a very dangerous ****tail. 90% of our own (and others) day to day safety depends on what's going on between our ears.

(Lucky for that car driver, the lanes were not actually obstructed. I was sooo disappointed.)
blagma is offline   Reply With Quote