Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   2007 Buell Lightning XB12STT (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/4248-2007-buell-lightning-xb12stt.html)

gbrummett 01-24-2007 09:15 AM

Higher RPM Range

Having owned two BuellÂ’s now I just had to mention one more thing other then just power.

Higher RPM needed for BuellÂ’s. The extra flexibility that a few thousand more RPM provides is amazing.

For instance, out on the track while test riding a Ducati ST3 which doesn't have much more power them my Buell, I could leave the bike in 3rd year all the way around the track, the extra RPM and a little extra power went a long way towards increasing my satisfaction. I wasnÂ’t shifting several times during each lap. Then I made the mistake of riding the Ducati 999 around the track. What a revelation! I could do the same thing, keep the bike in third gear and go as slow as the 35 mph corners with good power all the way to 130 mph on the back straight only with that much more power!!

This same track had me shifting from 2nd to 3rd to 4th on the Buell and back down all the while being left behind with the same people I was staying up with or passing on the Ducati ST3.

I want Buell to succeed and we have beaten this horse to death and IÂ’m sure that Eric has heard this many times.

[b] PLEASE GIVE US AN ALL NEW ENGINE!!

ksquid 01-24-2007 09:18 AM

The GMP, kpaul, does it again..

gas_pig 01-24-2007 09:27 AM

Re: 2007 Buell Lightning XB12STT

I agree, though I like the rest of the bike. I guess there's more places to put stickers.

gas_pig 01-24-2007 09:28 AM

Re: Higher RPM Range

Those "maintenance free" hydraulic valves are probably the reason it can't screem.

ksquid 01-24-2007 09:31 AM

Re: Higher RPM Range

Yep you are probably right darn it.. say it ain't so Erik..

bollert 01-24-2007 09:34 AM

I'm not impressed either. I have an XB-12R and I love it as a street bike. It is plenty fast for the street and outperforms most bikes in the twisties, mostly because of it's powerplant and handling. HOWEVER, we were just talking about this over the weekend. My pro-racer friend has ridden my Buell at track days, and noone could touch him until halfway down a decently long straight. While this means that his efforts and talent were wasted as a 600 went screaming by, it also emphasized that the average rider will have circles ridden around him. This alone will prevent stellar Buell sales, and hurt his recapitalization. I think HD should just pull out the stops and give Erik an engine while he has everyone's attention. If they keep going in this direction, people will move on.

SRMark 01-24-2007 09:46 AM

Supermono supercharged 750cc Blast. Kick-start only to keep the chicks off.

SRMark 01-24-2007 09:57 AM

Keep 'em on the back roads and urban jungles where they belong. You wouldn't take your mutt to the dog track would you? Take him to the park, let him crap on the sidewalk and weedle in the grass. It's a good dog. Kinda athletic but a dog for godsake. Let him chase a few cars if it makes you feel better.

ksquid 01-24-2007 10:12 AM

Re: I looked up the XBRR specs...

Great Point Yep if they could make it reliable they would sell like hot cakes.

ksquid 01-24-2007 10:14 AM

"I think HD should just pull out the stops and give Erik an engine while he has everyone's attention. If they keep going in this direction, people will move on. " Excellent point and well stated...Yon nailed it.. In my opinion Buell is where Harley is going to get it's next generation of customers..