Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 01-24-2007, 03:45 AM   #11
maladg
Registered Member

Default Re: 2007 Buell Lightning XB12STT

Looks like the almost perfect 2ed bike for me and SWMOB's to keep up at the Fortress of Solitude!
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-24-2007, 04:16 AM   #12
SRMark
Founding Member

You gotta live where I do to appreciate what this bike is made for. The road depicted in the story is the norm here in the western Maryland mountains. I don't know if I'd go for the Uly, the CityX or the TT, but those are some great choices. I thought I got over these bikes last summer. Crap. My wife is gonna be pissed, I'm gonna be broke, my dealer is gonna ***** me off...Time to refill that Zoloft prescription before the anxiety attacks return. What are the chances of winning the Maryland lottery?

I hope that the crayon scribbled paint scheme wasn't the best submission in Buell's goofy "you-design-it" contest. My three year old grandson makes better messes on my kitchen table with his magic markers. I guess it wasn't aimed at my demographic. Time to eat that Zoloft and go sit in the corner.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 04:51 AM   #13
maladg
Registered Member

motortcyclius nervousa!
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 04:53 AM   #14
pdad13
Founding Member

This is the first XB model I can't warm up to at all.

GB hit the nail on the head with "repackaged Lightning."

Supermoto, TT, whatever. It should be called the "XB12SF Superflous."

Yeah, it's nice to have a bike that can handle urban environments and sketchy roads but don't they already make those bikes? Seems like parsing a niche market pretty fine.

Of course, the TT is just another way to introduce an "all-new" model using basically the same parts with very little R&D cost. That may work for H-D but it's not going to go very far with the crowd Buell hopes to attract.

Worse, it's ugly in pictures and only slightly better in person. And not ugly in a good way.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 05:14 AM   #15
iamz
Founding Member

For gods sake Erik, the XB's are cool bikes, but this is getting pathetic. Enough with the variations. Build something new!
iamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 05:24 AM   #16
Tomas_P
Founding Member

Default Re: As an owner of a XB12S...

Have you installed the air filter/race ECU/free-flow muffler combo? No, it won't give you the 150HP that you want, but it'll certainly give the bike a nice pick-me-up. My XB12 responded nicely to this simple mod.

As much as I love the old Sportster-based motor (and I do indeed) it seems that extracting 150 HP from it while maintaining the day-to-day street reliability it has now might be asking a bit too much.

Then again, there are good aftermarket sources of piston/cylinder mods to obtain displacements in the 1400cc+ range. I'll bet you could get a good 130/140 HP with no compromise in reliability. If and when my stock motor needs a teardown, I believe I might go for it... (heh)
Tomas_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 05:25 AM   #17
ymsamhi
Registered Member

I really like Buells but *YAWN*. This is a HD type new model introduction. They used 95% of an existing bike and tweaked the suspension and rake a little and now they have a new model. I would like to see Buell use some of the innovation and creativity to come out with a truly new model. Of course his handlers at HD most likely have the last say in those decisions. I know all manufacturers make parts bin specials but all of Buells bikes are getting this way.
ymsamhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 05:31 AM   #18
ksquid
Banned

Excellent review Pete. Nice pictures...

"I'm not an arrogant guy. Those [other] guys are making some good bikes. I just want some respect for what American engineers can do."

I applaud what Erik has done given his resource constraints i.e. not allowed to build a proper engine. Even Buell owners like gbrummett are asking for more power. Well the only way to do that given the antique motor design is to add displacement again. I can see it now XB-14s ..

Also I agree with others this isn't a new bike. Like to see a sport tourer with ABS an hard bags.. I don't mean the Uly boys.. I mean a real ST like the old tube frame one..Thunderbolt ST I think it was called. Lower pegs and higer bars.

Heck if you offered a bike like that with ABS I even might buy it to commute with. Even with the antique motor..
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 05:34 AM   #19
ksquid
Banned

Default Excellent Post

"As much as I love the old Sportster-based motor (and I do indeed) it seems that extracting 150 HP from it while maintaining the day-to-day street reliability it has now might be asking a bit too much.

Then again, there are good aftermarket sources of piston/cylinder mods to obtain displacements in the 1400cc+ range. I'll bet you could get a good 130/140 HP with no compromise in reliability. If and when my stock motor needs a teardown, I believe I might go for it... (heh)"

You nailed it great post..
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 05:36 AM   #20
seruzawa
The Toad

Ah, quit beating on Buell for putting out more new models than Honda.