Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   2007 Buell Lightning XB12STT (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/4248-2007-buell-lightning-xb12stt.html)

maladg 01-24-2007 03:45 AM

Re: 2007 Buell Lightning XB12STT

Looks like the almost perfect 2ed bike for me and SWMOB's to keep up at the Fortress of Solitude!

SRMark 01-24-2007 04:16 AM

You gotta live where I do to appreciate what this bike is made for. The road depicted in the story is the norm here in the western Maryland mountains. I don't know if I'd go for the Uly, the CityX or the TT, but those are some great choices. I thought I got over these bikes last summer. Crap. My wife is gonna be pissed, I'm gonna be broke, my dealer is gonna ***** me off...Time to refill that Zoloft prescription before the anxiety attacks return. What are the chances of winning the Maryland lottery?

I hope that the crayon scribbled paint scheme wasn't the best submission in Buell's goofy "you-design-it" contest. My three year old grandson makes better messes on my kitchen table with his magic markers. I guess it wasn't aimed at my demographic. Time to eat that Zoloft and go sit in the corner.

maladg 01-24-2007 04:51 AM

motortcyclius nervousa!

pdad13 01-24-2007 04:53 AM

This is the first XB model I can't warm up to at all.

GB hit the nail on the head with "repackaged Lightning."

Supermoto, TT, whatever. It should be called the "XB12SF Superflous."

Yeah, it's nice to have a bike that can handle urban environments and sketchy roads but don't they already make those bikes? Seems like parsing a niche market pretty fine.

Of course, the TT is just another way to introduce an "all-new" model using basically the same parts with very little R&D cost. That may work for H-D but it's not going to go very far with the crowd Buell hopes to attract.

Worse, it's ugly in pictures and only slightly better in person. And not ugly in a good way.

iamz 01-24-2007 05:14 AM

For gods sake Erik, the XB's are cool bikes, but this is getting pathetic. Enough with the variations. Build something new!

Tomas_P 01-24-2007 05:24 AM

Re: As an owner of a XB12S...

Have you installed the air filter/race ECU/free-flow muffler combo? No, it won't give you the 150HP that you want, but it'll certainly give the bike a nice pick-me-up. My XB12 responded nicely to this simple mod.

As much as I love the old Sportster-based motor (and I do indeed) it seems that extracting 150 HP from it while maintaining the day-to-day street reliability it has now might be asking a bit too much.

Then again, there are good aftermarket sources of piston/cylinder mods to obtain displacements in the 1400cc+ range. I'll bet you could get a good 130/140 HP with no compromise in reliability. If and when my stock motor needs a teardown, I believe I might go for it... (heh)

ymsamhi 01-24-2007 05:25 AM

I really like Buells but *YAWN*. This is a HD type new model introduction. They used 95% of an existing bike and tweaked the suspension and rake a little and now they have a new model. I would like to see Buell use some of the innovation and creativity to come out with a truly new model. Of course his handlers at HD most likely have the last say in those decisions. I know all manufacturers make parts bin specials but all of Buells bikes are getting this way.

ksquid 01-24-2007 05:31 AM

Excellent review Pete. Nice pictures...

"I'm not an arrogant guy. Those [other] guys are making some good bikes. I just want some respect for what American engineers can do."

I applaud what Erik has done given his resource constraints i.e. not allowed to build a proper engine. Even Buell owners like gbrummett are asking for more power. Well the only way to do that given the antique motor design is to add displacement again. I can see it now XB-14s ..

Also I agree with others this isn't a new bike. Like to see a sport tourer with ABS an hard bags.. I don't mean the Uly boys.. I mean a real ST like the old tube frame one..Thunderbolt ST I think it was called. Lower pegs and higer bars.

Heck if you offered a bike like that with ABS I even might buy it to commute with. Even with the antique motor..

ksquid 01-24-2007 05:34 AM

Excellent Post

"As much as I love the old Sportster-based motor (and I do indeed) it seems that extracting 150 HP from it while maintaining the day-to-day street reliability it has now might be asking a bit too much.

Then again, there are good aftermarket sources of piston/cylinder mods to obtain displacements in the 1400cc+ range. I'll bet you could get a good 130/140 HP with no compromise in reliability. If and when my stock motor needs a teardown, I believe I might go for it... (heh)"

You nailed it great post..

seruzawa 01-24-2007 05:36 AM

Ah, quit beating on Buell for putting out more new models than Honda.