Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 01-19-2007, 12:08 PM   #121
bboule
Founding Member

Default Re: Victory is Ours!

It looks so hideous to most of us but if they gave it to a brilliant designer I bet it could be improved to look good without changing the overall look.

There is something wrong with big huge luxo V-twin cruisers. Even a huge V-twin looks small and emasculated in these bikes unless the proportions are exactly right. V-twins are narrow engines, cruisers and choppers make them look big and brawny by minimizing the gas tank and plastic, etc.. H-D just barely pulls off the look on it's dresser bikes, I bet they spend a LOT of time getting the balance of proportions right in order to keep the engine from looking small and insignificant.

When they make a Gold Wing, BMW I-4, Boxer Twin, etc.. into a giant luxo tourer it's a lot easier IMO due to the shape of the engine. The Gold Wing engine looks enormous no matter how you styled the bike. Boxer twins have lots of width to fill space, and even I-4s are fairly wide.

This thing got it horribly wrong. The engine looks tiny and weak, the proportions and flow of the rest of it don't match up, and it doesn't know whether or not it wants to be a cruiser or a tourer.

The ground clearance also seems to be strangely lacking.

Arlen Ness' influence is obvious and it it just doesn't work for a bike someone is supposed to actually ride. But if someone else were to clean it up and tweak the proportions I bet there is a decent design hidden in there.
bboule is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-19-2007, 12:17 PM   #122
ksquid
Banned

"Arlen Ness' influence is obvious and it it just doesn't work for a bike someone is supposed to actually ride. But if someone else were to clean it up and tweak the proportions I bet there is a decent design hidden in there"

Well said! You summarized it the best so far...
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 12:18 PM   #123
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Well - Obviously! Just look at the bike!

If it wasn't directly-inspired by LSD, there was at the VERY least a flashback involved from a bad batch Ness took in the '70s.........
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 12:32 PM   #124
naco_traficante
Founding Member

Yeah, it almost looks like they couldn't decide which way to lean - retro, techno, classic - so they sort of did everything at once. I think they almost have a good look but it needs some tweaking. It's a behemoth for sure.
naco_traficante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 12:32 PM   #125
fireworks
Founding Member

The first thing that comes to mind for the profile photo is those electric scooters they have at Walmart for the disabled.

The lines are wrong, the back end looks like it's off the back of a Caddy, and top box looks like it's off a scooter, and the front looks like it has a speaker from a drive thru mounted in it.

Actually, it reminds of a big scooter...

It's not cool, it's not different, it's not even as good as the prototypes. They seemed to have taken all of the worst bits of the prototypes and put them together. Some of the prototypes look decent.

What the hell happened? Too much Ness? I don't like his '70's fiberglass styling.

Good luck with this one. They might sell enough to break even but I don't think it'll be a sales leader...
fireworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 12:48 PM   #126
obandoj
Founding Member

Deep inside he loves you and Buzz.
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 01:12 PM   #127
Dangerousdave_2
Founding Member

I have never wished to be blind before. Now......
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 01:13 PM   #128
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Ladies and gentlemen we have a winner.

I'm talking about cars. Do they let Bangle near the bikes too?

After destroying the 5 series and 7 series, you think they would have broken all his pencils.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 01:52 PM   #129
Rubble
Founding Member

I almost fell off my chair laughing - at first. I went to the Polaris/Victory web site to find where the headquarters were located so could make a joke about a semi load of the much ballyhooed B.C. bud making it to Medina MN. I took the time to check out the 360 degree viewer of the Tour model. It's not nearly as bad as the pictures here portray it. It really does have some nice lines, although the way the top box is perched on the back looks awkward to my eyes. The Street version looks pretty good. I'm not saying it would be my bike of choice, but I won't make jokes about it. I'm thinking it just might start some sort of design wars and out of that we will see some more interesting machines in the near future. I might buy some shares in Polaris.

Rub
Rubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 02:10 PM   #130
TheFox
Founding Member

Default The amazing Aztec

Disclaimer: This is not an attack on you, but on people's opinion about the Aztec.

You know, people bad mouth the Aztec. Really though, look at the total package. The styling is a tad unconventional, but the total package is great. The engine was solid, it honestly was one of the first "crossover" SUV's that are so popular now, and had a lot of innovation. Yet people just badmouthed the hell out of it, and it's because it was from GM, and more specifically Pontiac.

Now go look at the Element, with it's goofy plastic panels and day-glo colors, and similarly innovative interior. The engine is weaker, the vehicle is eminently less capable, but it was lauder by the press as "innovative" and "a fresh design". What a load of crap.

It's all a scam. I too disliked the Aztec, until it was the only rental available when my brother picked me up from boot camp. It was really shocking that it was not only competent, but I (and my brother, who along with me talked a lot of crap about it) could totally see myself buying one. Go figure.

--Foxy

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote