Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Tiered Licensing - A Counterpoint (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/4227-tiered-licensing-counterpoint.html)

eekadog 01-17-2007 12:23 AM

Re: Tiered Licensing - A Counterpoint

imagine if they made all of those harley riders start on sportsters...

silentgrayfellow 01-17-2007 12:26 AM

Tierd licensing still won't reduce the accident statistics among those who ride unlicensed, which seems to be a significant percentage. Sort of like the saying "when guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns". If tierd licensing comes into effect, you'll still have those who will just ignore licensing requirements. 1st post!

silentgrayfellow 01-17-2007 12:27 AM

oh well, took too long making a comment, I

guess...

pplassm 01-17-2007 01:05 AM

Exactly! Until vehicle registration is linked to a valid operator's license, there is no point to this discussion.

splashws 01-17-2007 01:09 AM

Tiered licensing makes a lot of sense. Can't force everyone, but sometimes you have to make laws for people who are too stupid to get it. In fact most laws are common sense but their is always that segment that don't seem to get anything. If you can save a few lives it's worth it.

findangle 01-17-2007 01:25 AM

Seems like quite an inconvenience in the name of saving a few lives that don't seem to be smart enough to protect themselves.. Maybe a little more chlorine in the gene pool isn't so bad?

longride 01-17-2007 01:36 AM

"If you can save a few lives it's worth it."

Boy do I hate that f&cking statement. I suppose it would be OK to outlaw motorcycles totally, because "If you can save a few lives it's worth it." Sheesh.

addysdaddy 01-17-2007 01:39 AM

I find myself in agreement with Mr. Rau favoring a tiered licensing situation similar to Great BritainÂ’s system. Being a graduate of the MSF I found the course helpful but truly insufficient in teaching me the basics. Coming to motorcycling later in life, IÂ’ve had the good fortune to have responsible friends share their insights and riding suggestions to ensure a safe and enjoyable experience for me. I want this for all new riders, regardless of age.

Here are a couple of the immediate issues I have with the MSF course as it stands today.

· Never got the bike over 15mph

· Never took the bike out of second gear

· Never rode on the local street in traffic with an instructor

· Never rode on the highway

· Never rode in a group and learned proper group riding techniques

· Never practiced emergency stopping (stopping from 15mph doesn’t count)

Even with a car, you are required to have a learners permit for one year and must have a license driver accompanying you behind the wheel – hopefully teaching & coaching the new driver for that year. We need something more than the existing MSF for motorcycling.

The one thing that no course or tiered licensing system can impart is good judgment – that is left to individual. Let me ask this question – if you handed the keys to a Ferrari to a 16-year-old recently licensed male, do you think he would go the posted speed limit? How about the keys to an R1 or CBR1000rr? Unfortunately I don’t have a neat answer but I recognize that we need to be proactive. Suggestions welcomed.

longride 01-17-2007 01:52 AM

From the article:

"So, the real answer isn't tiered licensing, it's more and better training and testing."

Case closed.

chow_chow 01-17-2007 01:54 AM

Georgia has a tiered licence---has for years. If you take your test on a smaller bike (500cc or less) then you receive a restriction on your licence. If you take your test on a bike over 500cc, you are licenced for everything except trikes. Don't know that it has had an effect on any safety statistics.