Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 01-17-2007, 03:27 AM   #21
jbeaver
Registered Member

Default Re: Tiered Licensing - A Counterpoint

Yes, the fact is that there will probably always be unlicensed riders out there. As long as you can put a key in the ignition, start it, and ride away, somebody will, regardless of having a valid license. Okay, we get that. Can we please just skip to the fact that out of the larger population of legally licensed riders, there is an appalling lack of proper street riding skills? My problem with the system is knowing that most of those riders who are truly dangerous to themselves and others have passed or government's (state or federal) safety qualifications to have the privilage (NOT RIGHT) to ride in public. Or testing and training in this country is in a very sad state. Object as much as you want to a tiered system, but have you seen riders in the UK? An average rider there has more skill than what passes for an "experienced rider" here. ("Yes, I know you've had a license for ten years, but you only ride on some weekends in the summer. That means you ride eight days a year.) Rant done.
jbeaver is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-17-2007, 03:38 AM   #22
lionroyboy
Registered Member

All right, I guess I won't!
lionroyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 03:45 AM   #23
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Well . . . I will disagree on the "not safer" part. I'd rather say that bikes 500 cc and under are likely lighter and easier to control for new riders, rather than "safer." In capable hands, as you know, a 600 cc or larger sportbike can be QUITE "safe" -- but the rider has to be capable of using the performance of that bike.

I have a Honda 599 myself and even after 21 years of riding I'm still learning how to make use of the performance of that bike!

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 03:49 AM   #24
seruzawa
The Toad

I'm not arguing with any of that. I just don't think that tiered licensing will be any sort of panacea in the US. And I'm basically sick of the constant drumbeat for more and more laws.

How about we try enforcing the ones we already have? If squdly got a ticket for every instance of reckless driving he'd be off the CBR600 pretty darned quick.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:00 AM   #25
vgregory647
Registered Member

This is a good point - and if riders were REQUIRED to start on a smaller bike, rather than the HDCBGSXRRRRR that LOOKS SO MANLY, it'd probably weed out most of the poseurs. Bikes should not be mere butt-jewelry.

For those of us who actually LIKE smaller bikes, tiered licensing would also provide the benefit of upping the numbers of smaller bikes imported to the US - RVF400s (for example) are a hot item on the US gray market; I'd love to be able to buy one straight off a showroom floor.

Val Gregory

AMA 466527, DoD 1258

'90 Hawk GT

vgregory647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 04:06 AM   #26
MileHighMagna
Registered Member

Careful there Anrajala. I'm in the "older riders" demographic you're refering to and I'd be willing to bet I could out-ride your punk ass (on my ancient Honda Magna), knock down a few shots of Finish Vodka, and give your wife a thrill she's never experienced before, provided she shaves her uni-brow.
MileHighMagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 04:20 AM   #27
vgregory647
Registered Member

"I would sure like to see the total picture addressed somewhere. A listing of the major causes of vehicle accidents and resulting carnage would give us some basis for determining the extent of the motorcycle-related portion of the problem."

Are you willing to help pay for it? A new federal study (it's safe to consider it an updated Hurt Report) is being started at the Oklahoma Transportation Center at OSU; the feds are gonna match up to $2.8M for funding. The AMA (American Motorcyclist Association) is collecting matching funds at http://www.amadirectlink.com/study/, and has put in $100K to get things started. There's no need to join the AMA, just kick in some dollars either online or by mail.

Val Gregory

AMA 466527, DoD 1258

'90 Hawk GT
vgregory647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 04:20 AM   #28
rmsvmax
Founding Member

I think the bottom line on all this is:

If we are not proactive, and do something sensible, like better training, tiered licenses, or something to keep people off bikes that are too powerful or heavy for safe riding, then sooner or later, someone from government who has little or no clue on what to do, will raise the alarm themselves, and worse things will happen...

Does anyone remember Sen. Danforth from CA???

(I believe that was his name and state...it HAS been a while-early 90s, and I am getting older, and forgetful...LOL)

He is the reason GSXR750 carbs(38mm) were the hot tip for GSXR1100s(36mm), and he was pushing for MUCH more restrictions than that...

I like my 'Busa,

(4th one, and not because I crashed them...LOL)

and I LOVE it with a turbo,

and I don't want to have to give it up to panicked and/or hysterical government regulation if the problem gets national attention, like it did in the early 90s, and another politician sees it as a crusade

(or a political stepping-stone...)

BUT, if either increased training and/or tiered licensing is not adopted on a national level, and registration/insurance tied DIRECTLY to licensing,

(and when it the last time states agreed on ANYTHING...)

and real TEETH put into enforcement of said laws/regulations, I believe we continue down this slippery slope, and God only knows where we will all land...

I'm not ready to go to a "til they pry the bars of my bike from my cold, dead fingers" posture like the NRA boys yet, but it certainly WILL be a heck of a fight...

I can only HOPE it doesn't come to that.

Ride hard, ride smooth, ride smart, ride safe.

A Happy and Safe 2007 to all,

and particularly to those who ride.

JVM

RMSportMax

rmsvmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 04:25 AM   #29
NLJ
Founding Member

Another point made. We are of the mindset that a 883cc Sportster is a beginner bike!
NLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 04:27 AM   #30
pdad13
Founding Member

Jane, you ignorant sl*t...

(Uh, what were we talking about again?)
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote