Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 01-18-2007, 08:37 AM   #191
acecycleins
Founding Member

Default Re: Tiered Licensing - A Counterpoint

You anti-new laws people are missing the point: We are allowing people to opportunity to get on bikes that are far advanced compaired to the bikes many of us grew up on. In the 70's bikes that made more than 70 hp WERE high performance bikes. In the 80's that hp number bumped to the 100 hp range, and so on. Now, we're in a situation where an SV650s (today's standard style bike not much unlike the cb750 in the 70's) is a beginner bike. Is that what you think should be the norm? It's like telling a kid that when they turn 16 it's not just alright but expected that their first car be a 300hp Mustang. We all know what the outcome is. Training, once again, is paramount. But the solution isn't MORE laws but updated laws. If they can change the licensing age (as in GA) then they can simply say that they want certain things as a requirement before they issue a bike license.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-18-2007, 08:42 AM   #192
FalcoFreak
Registered Member

Actually, I didn't use the word "right" or "privilege" however, if you look up the definition of privilege in the dictionary the word "right" is used in the definition. The point is; when the government tries to remove privileges or rights or liberty from its citizens, it needs to be resisted. . . always.
FalcoFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 09:06 AM   #193
Gluge
Registered Member

why? haven't you ever heard of riding off road? (dirt or track) you don't need a licence.
#867 Barrett Meeker Racing
Gaerne - Regina - Shoei - Bridgestone
-----------
Supervisor - Blur Studio

Endorsed by Longride - "Of course your points are unarguable. You are the smartest guy in the whole world ... What you really taught me is how little I really know about motorcycles and how much you know. Yes, you are the best and the smartest."
Gluge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 09:12 AM   #194
ozarka24
Founding Member

I am completely for more and through training, but unless it somehow connects with buying or license/ registration, then it too will be by passed. The Industry needs to bear some of the burden of selling to and non-endorsed rider the same way a bar is responsible for continuing to serve to someone who is drunk. The dealerships can not turn a blind eye just for a sale.

And as for making the comparison of bikes today having more HP than in the 70Â’s, would you apply that argument to cars as well? Given that a 1976 Honda Accord only had 68 HP, but a 2006 Accord has 240 HP, an increase of over 350%?

ozarka24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 09:19 AM   #195
SRMark
Founding Member

Commence the puking.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 09:29 AM   #196
FalcoFreak
Registered Member

So, what you are saying is that a complicated system of restrictions set down in a law is going to solve the problem of people crashing motorcycles? It will never happen. People don't crash because of engine size. I am stunned that so many people welcome the interference of bureaucrats who want to control your choices. Give up your own freedom if you want, don't take it away from others.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:40 AM   #197
SuperBill
Founding Member

"I'm pretty sure riding is a privilege and not a right. There is a difference between taking away someones privileges and someones rights."

Arghhhhhhhhhhh! WeÂ’re DOOMED!

SuperBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 09:41 AM   #198
FalcoFreak
Registered Member

Default Re: Tiered Licensing - A Counterpoint - spot on from Japan

But why make it easier to ride a smaller bike? If a semi hits you on a 125 does it really matter that you weren't riding a 1200? Why not make it difficult to get a license to ride any bike? maybe the poor sap riding the 125 could have gotten out of the way if he were riding a 1200 with some power. . .
Old 01-18-2007, 09:51 AM   #199
acecycleins
Founding Member

I do agree. That's why my daughter's ride is a 93 Camry 4 banger.

My whole arguement is that by altering the licensing process we can achieve results. There are solutions to better equip the upcoming generation but it must start with those with the experience to guide the process. Without mandatory training, insurance compliance (which is internet based and automated in GA. It means the gov't knows when you have and don't have insurance on your registered vehicle.), and registration linked to proof of valid m class license we are fighting a battle that has no resolution. Who makes the decisions? I prefer it be the riders that make the stand, rather than the gov't.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:04 AM   #200
acecycleins
Founding Member

Lame or paranoid.... The system must change and the people to guide it are me, you and people like us on this forum. It's not about taking away "freedoms". It's about changing the way we equip those that are entering the motorcyclist world. If you, me and the rest of us don't do something soon the feds or states will take it upon themselves to restrict what we buy all togther. The insurance industry will be the first step. They will "black list" ALL supersort/superbikes, first. Then they will impose cc size restrictions next. It will get worse. So, choose- we make the effort to help change the system or let the gov't, insurers and the cagers change it for us.