Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 01-17-2007, 07:31 PM   #161
BimotaRich
Founding Member

Default Re: Tiered Licensing - A Counterpoint - spot on from Japan

Yes they have mandatory helmet laws nation wide. And to take the test you must be wearing a Jacket, gloves, and boots as well (no certification required for them but the inspector must find them to be "suitable". The average Japanese rider spends about 2 grand on their first batch of training and motorcycle license.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-17-2007, 07:35 PM   #162
BimotaRich
Founding Member

Default Re: Tiered Licensing - A Counterpoint Japanese Test Requirements

The test would have been fun if it wasnt a test LOL... You can go back before or after hours to practice more if you like for 10 bucks an hour, and they offer various courses throughout the year to help you improve even further. I always enjoy watching the motorcycle police do their warm up laps before they go on duty. One handed slaloms, stopies, etc... Those guys ROCK! Police bikes in Japan by the way are usually VFRs... very nice!
Old 01-17-2007, 07:42 PM   #163
BimotaRich
Founding Member

Default Re: Tiered Licensing - A Counterpoint Japanese Test Requirements

The problem with American riders is that they flagrantly ignore the requirements here in Japan. Their rider training has been nil and they come to Japan with an international license and use it beyond its real legal time frame. The test is VERY hard and anyone who has not trained VERY well will fail. Riding on the street and riding well are not enough to pass it... this is a 2 edged sword... the test is HARD so many Americans skirt the law (and risk getting a ticket that costs about 3Gs for riding on an expired license!)... but those who take it end up better riders. People in Japan tend to take the test because it is widely seen as being valuable and prestigious to pass and the fine for riding without a license is very high (3 grand and you cant get a license for one year for ANY kind of motorvehicle and you will be suspended from any you currently posses!). Sounds draconian but it works. Speeding tickets are VERY high too... but due to spotty enforcement most drivers/riders speed regularly... the limits by the way are innanely low... about 20mph in the city and 40 in the country and 50 on the highway.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:07 PM   #164
cda
Registered Member

Default Re: Excellent Counterpoint.

Ksquid doesn't ride?

Bummer. Doesn't know what he/she is missing.
cda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 08:09 PM   #165
cda
Registered Member

Default Re: Tiered Licensing - A Counterpoint

DD

I am most sorry. I had no clue as to the type of folks I was dealing with.

All the best.

-cda
Old 01-17-2007, 08:34 PM   #166
mgheideman
Registered Member

Default Re: Tiered Licensing - Works well in Japan

I am an American living in Japan (ex-pat) and recently obtained by "big" motorcycle license (and a Harley). In Japan there are multiple tiers (moped, under 400cc, over 400 cc) licenses. The tests for each of the licenses are progressively more difficult requiring emergency stops, going over railroad tracks, stopping and starting on a hill, going though very narrow obstacle courses without hitting any cones all with the law riding right behind you looking for mistakes.

Going through the testing requirement and obtaining a over 400cc license, which required 40 hours of on the bike and simulator training by an officially sactioned professional, I know now that other "big" motorcycle riders have been through a very rigors test. That gives me confidence you wonÂ’t find in Japan inexperienced riders buying 800lb Honda Goldwings, as referenced in the article (you can not buy a motorcycle in Japan without the corresponding license).

mgheideman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 09:06 PM   #167
cda
Registered Member

Default AMA is EVIL?!?

"just look what they've done working against helmet laws, and the skyrocketting death rates which followed in states that dropped the requirement." I totally agree with you.. Lobbying against helmet laws totally destroys the AMA's creditability and political capital.."

Skyrocketing??? Got any statistics to back this up? Fatalities per mile ridden is the only thing that makes sense of course. If the miles ridden falls 50% then reducing fatalities by 25% is a losing proposition in my simple world.

Of course there is always that nagging issue of a mere 90% of traffic fatalities being caused by OTHER than motorcyclists. But I suppose those aren't REAL deaths.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:14 PM   #168
cda
Registered Member

Default Re: P.S. cda

How do the "above laws" have significant impact on the 90% of traffic fatalities in the US in 2005? It cannot/would not of course as motorcycles were not the cause of that 90%. You are suggesting draconian solutions to a mere sliver of the problem.

I doubt reason, statistics and facts will have a bearing on your opinions.

Fix the world. You don't need my blessings nor facts on your side.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:19 PM   #169
silentgrayfellow
Founding Member

Default Re: Tiered Licensing - A Counter Counterpoint

He already conceded the point that higher speeds are more deadly. Quote "At higher speeds the accident is more likely to be fatal. But the sad fact is that fatalities are not that costly to the insurance industry, at least not if we're talking health insurance. Life insurance policies are already adjusted, I think, for motorcycling risks."

The physics lesson was not necessary.
silentgrayfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 09:39 PM   #170
naco_traficante
Registered Member

Default Re: Tiered Licensing - A Counterpoint

The only properly sized bikes available would be - RICE BURNERS !
naco_traficante is offline   Reply With Quote