Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 01-17-2007, 03:06 PM   #141
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: Tiered Licensing - A Counterpoint

Mmmmmm...rodent scrotum....
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-17-2007, 03:23 PM   #142
ksquid
Banned

Default AMA should act like AOPA

"The AMA is an extreme libertarian organization, even when that stance hurts cyclists. Just look what they've done working against helmet laws, and the skyrocketting death rates which followed in states that dropped the requirement." I totally agree with you.. Lobbying against helmet laws totally destroys the AMA's creditability and political capital.. If it acted more like AOPA - Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association we would be in much better shape..
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 03:28 PM   #143
BimotaRich
Founding Member

Default Re: Tiered Licensing - A Counterpoint - spot on from Japan

I think you hit the nail on the head, and very squarely at that. I currently live and ride in Japan. A country famous for its bikes and not so famous for its roads which can be narrow, twisty, treacherous, and full of all sorts of conveyances all attempting to make progress simulataneaously. It is a challenging riding situation to say the least! So to help insure safety Japan requires a license for almost everything, and tiered licensing has been part of the landscape for a long while. The difference here is that you are not required to wait... if you can pass the test for a big bike then you can get the license. The test is hard though! Most people start small and work their way up. You are right training is the key. How we go about requiring it is the issue. Teired licensing seems to be a fairly common sense way to go about it but waiting need not be a requirement so much as a result of the tests. Perfect, HELL NO, but better than what we got, HELL YES! I currently ride a Triumph Daytona 1200 here and love it. I took the big bike test years ago which was a bear and took many hours of special training classes! But I am a better rider as a result. I have had 10 accident free years of riding hi power bikes in Japan and I hope to have at least 10 more!
Old 01-17-2007, 03:38 PM   #144
roadscholar
Registered Member

What everyone is forgetting is the 28th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution: Every American Man, Woman, and Child shall have the unaliable right to drive or ride any vehicle he or she desires regardless of skill or horsepower.

Sort of like the right to bear arms but with internal combustion. Until we admit that driving and riding is a privilege and not a right, nothing will change.
roadscholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 03:38 PM   #145
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

They don't call you 'silent' for nothing. (Other than the subtle Harley reference)
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 03:50 PM   #146
ER1B
Founding Member

Irresponsible behavior cost us our freedoms long ago. It started when we (the collective 'we') decided it was the government's resposibility to mandate social behavior rather than good parenting. Maybe we should do as you imply and take off the gloves and let Darwinism determine who is fit to survive.
ER1B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 03:56 PM   #147
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Default Re: One other simple thing: Actually REQUIRE a liscence...

It's nearly all computerized nowadays - the State even knows whether you paid your county taxes or not (unless you're like MY county who's struggling to be brought into the 19th Century...........)
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 04:01 PM   #148
ksquid
Banned

LOL Nice try read more
Old 01-17-2007, 04:08 PM   #149
ER1B
Founding Member

Have you seen the news lately? There is no 'personal responsibility'...Everything is someone elses fault.
ER1B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 04:09 PM   #150
ksquid
Banned

Default Re: Tiered Licensing - A Counterpoint - spot on from Japan

That's an interesting slant on tiered licensing.. I like it..Thanks for sharing.. I assume they have a Federal Mandatory helmet law right?