Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Big Cruising (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/4218-big-cruising.html)

gbrummett 01-13-2007 11:22 AM

Re: Big Cruising

I saw a Big Block Boss Hoss sitting in a bar parking lot a couple of years back and it really is as big and impressive as you say it is. I pulled in and talked with the guy. This guy had open pipes and I must say I don't know how in the hell he got away with the sound. He said he just loves to pull up next to guys on a Harley who think they have a loud bike and rev that sucker a couple of times. Said he never had anyone challenge him.

Well it I just had to hear it and holy crap, it was loud and way impressive. Just don't think I could stand all that torque trying to pitch me off sideways..

sliphorn 01-13-2007 11:36 AM

I'm speechless.

The_AirHawk 01-13-2007 11:55 AM

Just a quick comment on some of the nomenclature you guys are tossing about in the article:

The Boss Hoss uses a 350cid Chevy Small Block, or 502cid Chevy Big Block. The term Long Block and Short Block refers to replacement engines, and what you might expect to find in the crate when you purchase one.

A Short Block is (regardless of engine make) is usually the engine block, crankshaft, pistons, cam (sometimes) and occasionally the sump - all assembled and ready to be used as a solid basis for your new engine.

A Long Block is the above, with the addition of a cam (if left off the shortblock), cylinder heads, tappets and valvetrain - basically a complete engine minus induction (intake, carb, whatever), distributor, and rocker-covers.

Other than that, quite the interesting article.

Thanks for the Diversion!

staff 01-13-2007 12:06 PM

Duly noted! I thought they were interchangeable terms. All I know about cars is that they have windshield wipers. Thanks!

-Gabe

Buzglyd 01-13-2007 12:21 PM

Excellent! I think this is the first review I've ever read about the Hoss.

Considered it conjoined V4s and it's the ultimate motorcycle.

ofreen 01-13-2007 01:06 PM

Cool. Articles like this almost make me forget all those scooter tests. (I'm kidding.) Too bad you couldn't ride the big-block bike. I would like to hear about what that's like. Some video would have been good with this, too.

sv1000rider 01-13-2007 01:26 PM

+1 about the video.

MO used to have a lot of video and dyno vids of the bikes they tested but don't anymore. Why?

TwistedKestrel 01-13-2007 01:39 PM

Add an Electra Glide style fairing, and you'll have a bike that is completely devoid of anything I like about motorcycling. 1100 pounds ... the damn thing is nearly ten times my weight!

georgios1 01-13-2007 01:56 PM

Hey! you guys didn't do Palomar mountain on those bikes. Why didn't you!

Been riding 54yrs.

Rode Indian Chief/30.50 Scout/H-D JD/WL/WR in the day. Seen 'em all come and go.

Seen a few of them V8's in the flatlands,too big for most humans to handle.

The Boss Hawg is just too much unsafe pork for me.

donaldl 01-13-2007 01:59 PM

What is the 1/4 mile time and speed ???