Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 01-10-2007, 10:12 PM   #21
staff
Registered Member

Default Did you miss something?

We tested the 06 1200R in Chicago last year, and you can read about it here:

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mccompa...on/index.motml

We tested the 2007 1200R before that, ironically:

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mccompa...el/index.motml

I think you were the only who noticed becaue you were the only one who didn't bother going to our review archive here:

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/manufac.motml

Do you live in Agrestic? (sorry, I was just watching the first season of "weeds")

-Gabe
staff is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-10-2007, 10:26 PM   #22
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Default Re: Three Naked Euros

Sounds like the Brutale should come standard with a "safe word."
Old 01-10-2007, 11:45 PM   #23
anrajala
Founding Member

All these bikes are for suckers. Take the Tuono for example. The 30k miles service cost 2,700 bucks represents some 4 years worth of hard riding for average Joe. Not super bad yet.

But as you pay 13k for the bike you take 7k hit on the depreciation over four years (KBB trade-in). Then you have capital cost, that you lose as you didn´t invest the 13k on something that gives you 5% pa return. Or much more, if you had to get any kind of financial arrangement to get the bike in the first place.

As we don´t count gas, leathers, condoms, tires or malt liquer as you´d pay them with any bike, we are talking about 12,358 dollars net loss on the investment over four years. Better not to calculate the cost of ownership over the lifetime because if you get involved in that crap you´d never get married. And we don´t want that do we.

So lets compare this to, just for arguments sake say 2002 CBR11XX which you get for 6,565 (KBB retail) and you sell four years later for 5,015. Your brother in law changes the oil so 4 year service cost is 1,000 and the financial cost is 1,300. So Tuono works out 8,5k more over the four years than XX. And XX is not a bad bike. If you are not man enough to ridea a cruiser that is.

- cruiz-euro

anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 02:54 AM   #24
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

The Tuono is #1 in my book also. It's like riding a big dirt bike. Very cool. The BMW looks nice in a practical sort of way, but the price is a turn-off. If that Brutale is anything like the 750, it's damned fun, damned beautiful, and damned impractical. Nice test.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:04 AM   #25
vermicious
Registered Member

I concur -- in the 7 months I've owned mine I can't think of a single ride where the bike didn't seduce me into doing something I probably shouldn't have.

Easily my favorite of all of the bikes I've owned.

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see any mention of the included 15 tooth primary sprocket. That balance between civility and hooliganism can be done away with in fairly short order just by installing that puppy (especially if you put in a 42 secondary).
Old 01-11-2007, 03:14 AM   #26
seruzawa
The Toad

Ha ha. He got you!
Old 01-11-2007, 03:25 AM   #27
seruzawa
The Toad

Let me get this straight. The vanilla R1200R is more than the Tuono? ROTFL! What's with BMW? It's certainly a nice bike.... but $14K? And in case no one's noticed, BMW resale is not all that hot except for the GSes.

I can get the performance of the Beemer for about $3000 in a used ZRX1200.

BMW sort of lost me with their reluctance to admit problems with their bikes and fix them (surging, rear hubs.) I'd buy a used one but the $14K price tag is just too steep for the R.

If I had to choose between these three bikes it'd be the Tuono in a heartbeat. No contest.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:26 AM   #28
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

There's a saying that "You will never see a UHaul on a hearse". Maybe you can figure that one out all by yourself. Oh yeah, I just bought a 78 GoldWing for 800 bucks that will probably run twice as long as your XX and I'd STILL be able to sell it for more than I paid for it. Makes everything else look like a 'sucker bike' don't it?
Old 01-11-2007, 03:27 AM   #29
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Best post here. Excellent use of facts/data.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:10 AM   #30
maladg
Registered Member

No hate mail here...entertaining read even if the fix was in due to your assumptions and approach - and nothin' wrong wid dat since you were crystal clear about it.

Nice to see BMW steadily improving their products. Aprilia, too. As for the other - I prefer to own products, not be owned. The exotic girlfriend analogy is perfect. But I could go for a couple of exotic dates - especially right after a fat annual bonus.

What? No retractions from the Usual Suspects re their wild foam-at-the-mouth overestimations of cost of BMW maintenance? I'm shocked, SHOCKED! to find gambling in Rick's establishment!!

Key to happy BMW ownership: a very, very good dealer. Key to a horrible BMW experience: an average dealership.

Me? The Tuono creates more hard rock maple in the nether regions that the other two combined. On the other hand, Charlie @ Parabellum will have his ab fab Scout fairing ready for the R12 shortly...a mighty short road to nirvana for someone like me with only slightly above average riding skills - ie, I'm not one of the fast guys...
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote