Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 01-08-2007, 09:40 AM   #1
Cheesebeast
Registered Member

Default Re: The Right Stuff

I find I don't get flats if I repeat the following chant to the Pneumatic gods:

"Oh Pneumatica protect me in my trails and travails! May you find this sacrifice worthy!"

Then I plunge a knife blade into the tires of my neighbor.

Seriously, thanks for the (well written) information on a job I have botched several times.

Cheesebeast is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-08-2007, 09:48 AM   #2
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Ugh, I've had my share of those, what a pain in the butt. That was why I filled my Bonneville's tires with Slime, the stuffs supposed to work well, besides I put so much in there I doubt if there's any room for air in the first place.

On tubeless tires I have found that BMW's emergency plug kit works well, it comes with a T handle tool with a raspy side and a hook for reaming the hole..(ahem..) and inserting the plug slathered in glue. It also has little CO2 cartridges that I've never used but are supposed to be enough to inflate a tire.

I have personnaly worn out half a dozen plugged tires with no problem, if done right they work. Even if they fail it'll be a slow leak that's managable. Your tire/motorcycle/all-living-reletives are not going to spontaneousley combust, explode, fall off the face of the Earth or drown because you plugged or patched a tire.

If you don't believe me, buy another tire or tube and be certain, it's your money.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:55 AM   #3
KLRer
Founding Member

Good article and scary subject I hadnt thought much about but should have. What the h do you do in case of a tire blowout (not just a gradual flat) at freeway speeds? They didn't cover that in my MSF course. Maybe you're just dead in that scenario so its best not to burden your mind with it?
KLRer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:57 AM   #4
schizuki
Founding Member

Will this method work in Florida?

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:09 AM   #5
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Been there done that....in my experiance what you do is wobble and weave your way across all four lanes of the freeway heading for the shoulder as the bike rapidly slows down while you hang on for dear life, feet flailing off the pegs and cars locking them up and swerving trying to avoid you. Once (if) you hit make it to the shoulder, you'll probably fall down and lay there shaking like a leaf trying to get your petrified limbs to respond so you can crawl out from under the 700 lbs of motorcycle that's burning a hole in your leg and pouring gas on the ground. It helps to smoke a ciggerette while you're picking gravel and glass shards out of your arms from the side of the road....

Then you just hitchhike home, get your truck and come back for the bike.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:28 AM   #6
georgios1
Founding Member

i've had good results from hot patch kits.

hard to find them now but the patch really sticks well if prepped like MOFO did.
georgios1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:31 AM   #7
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Will someone please take that nail he pulled out of the tire and drive it in Kook's head?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:35 AM   #8
DonM
Founding Member

Default Carry a spare tube

A spare tube takes up less space and is more likely to be 'fresh' when you need it. Just powder it up well before storing on the bike.

Did the author mention rimlocks? Many tube failures are caused by the tire spinning on the rim and ripping out the valve.
DonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:38 AM   #9
ksquid
Banned

LOL
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 12:23 PM   #10
Neal
Founding Member

Best laugh Ive had all day......my blowout experience was much less dramatic,but your story brought it all back. Thanks.
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote