Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 03-15-2001, 02:48 PM   #1
bobs-garage
Founding Member

Default Re: Suomy Gun Wind Reader Feedback

Like many of the European accessory manufacturers, Suomy makes a great helmet. It's of equal (or better) quality to the top-of-the line Shoei or Arai lids, but at much less cost.

Bob's Garage

http://www.riderhaus.com
bobs-garage is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-15-2001, 03:35 PM   #2
spindizzy
Founding Member

Good article but you might want to change the line about aboriginal art to Maorii art. They're a large and easily angered culture
spindizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2001, 05:25 PM   #3
RRocket
Founding Member

If you shop around, the Arai Quantum S series in replica colours can be had for under $400.....my Harada replica cost $325....
RRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2001, 05:27 PM   #4
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Suomy

That was a little short on info, don't you think? How was it at speed? Did it lift much above 130? How did it fit after a month?

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2001, 06:49 PM   #5
drspeedmore
Founding Member

Just wondering if these soumy helmets are the same quality if bought from the netherlands? as far as snell ratings are concerned. They can be purchased for $299.00 us dollars plus $25.00 for shipping charge from hzmotors.com.
drspeedmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2001, 02:08 AM   #6
ckirk
Registered Member

Default Re: Suomy

The article was timely for me since I may be supplementing my Arai Quantum but I had the same questions. Plus what are additional visor costs/availability & can they be replaced with the helmet on? Doesn't seem so but a sentence describing the method would help.
ckirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2001, 03:56 AM   #7
cheetah
Founding Member

I own two Suomy helmets and my only complaint is changing the shield. It is held in place by two plastic rings and they have broken on both my helmets. I glued them back together, but now I'm afraid to take the shields off. Also, when you buy a new shield, you do not get new rings.
cheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2001, 04:51 AM   #8
elitegroup
Founding Member

I have had the Bostrom replica for about 6 months and so far it seems comparable. The previous post has me concerned about the shield change though. I was thinking of changing my clear shield to a blue tinted one, but if the rings break that easy??? The helmet is comfortable and it seems to fit my "fat 7 1/4" head well. The bottom liner flap that hugs the neck is a feature I like on this helmet. I don't think it's any more quiet than my RF-800, but it will suffice. The shield mechanism covers on each side I find very cheesy. They are Stickered as apposed to being painted and the stickers are very brittle. I have not taken this helmet to speed yet as I have had a few speeding tickets and don't feel like dancing under the gavel again soon. I have however riden this helmet near 100mph and I would trust it to the limiter. Bottom line I think other helmet brands have the shield covers; changing mechanism and removable liners advantage. The only advantage I feel Suomy has is the price and we all know you get what you pay for.......

On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the best. I would give this helmet a 7 and my RF-800 an 8.

The reason I'm using my RF-800 in comparison is it's the only other helmet I currently own. Although the RF-800 cost less than the Suomy it's not any less worthy. Now as far as price range; Yes" the RF-800 was cheaper because I bought it in gloss white then had it custom painted ($350.00). So in the end the RF-800 cost me more than the Suomy, but it looks so much better and has a few features I prefer over the Suomy.
elitegroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2001, 05:47 AM   #9
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

Gabe is right, more info please. Comments about lift at speed would be nice and wouldn't cost anything.

A story idea: take a few of the new helmets and rig them with temperature gauges and sound meters and go riding. It would be nice to see how much noise they let through and how cool they keep the top of one's head. Shoudln't be too expensive of a test.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2001, 06:36 AM   #10
Rhyno
Founding Member

Default Re: Suomy

Take the link to Gearbox International and then check out their FAQ's. They have information concerning the purchasing of additional visors and on the removal/replacement of them from the helmet. They also have some excellent photos of the various designs!!

Rhyno is offline   Reply With Quote