Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 03-16-2001, 01:43 PM   #21
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Re: Suomy Gun Wind Reader Feedback

Don't ever try on an expensive helmet, because you'll never want a cheap one again.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-16-2001, 02:18 PM   #22
Mutt
Founding Member

Educate me. What is CE certification? EU stuff?
Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2001, 03:04 PM   #23
Tristan7
Founding Member

I've tried on the top-line Shoei, Bell,AGV and Arai, and my HJC ($140 w/graphics) I would rate at 95% as good as the Arai (w/a very similar fit). The Shoei just doesn't fit my head, the Bell and AGV were terrible. How quiet a helmet is really has no relevance to me, I wear earplugs ALWAYS.
Tristan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2001, 06:33 PM   #24
drspeedmore
Founding Member

Default Re: Exotic Helmets

i also have an arai helmet, rx7rr4(have also had the quantum e and f models). i also think the arai quality is way better than the soumy. also the faceshield system on the arai is more functional than the soumy.
drspeedmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2001, 10:03 PM   #25
BenjiH
Founding Member

I'm glad to hear fairly positive feedback for the Suomy helmet. My friend and I went to a Ducati dealer and asked about the Bostrom replica. The guys there told us the Arais were far superior and that Suomys were basically crap. I was hoping they were just biased.

By the way, I've noticed that several people who commented said they wear earplugs. I've also read about editors in Motorcyclist and Sport Rider who say they wear earplugs. I've never wore earplugs while riding any motorcycle. I have and HJC and of course I hear wind noise, but I can't figure out why you would need earplugs unless you had an incredibly loud exhaust. Is that the reason or are there just some sensitive ears out there?
BenjiH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2001, 05:44 AM   #26
Wolvie
Founding Member

True enough about the plastic "novelty" helmets.

While I agree that CE certification is good, you do indeed run the risk of a summons if the helmet is not DOT rated. Snell ratings (while excellent) also serve no legal basis in determining a "legal to use" helmet in the states.

My point is that while I would always look for CE ratings for armor (there are no US ratings for this), I would pass on any helmet that does not have the DOT rating.

Wolvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2001, 05:45 AM   #27
Wolvie
Founding Member

Yeah Mutt,

CE for all intents and purposes is the European equivalent of DOT.
Old 03-17-2001, 06:21 AM   #28
Wolvie
Founding Member

Default Why Earplugs....?

Benji,

Believe it or not, a loud exhaust doesnÂ’t contribute to rider noise levels as much as the wind does. Especially since you consider that the exhaust is behind you and pointing away (unless you have a REALLY strange setup...). Did you ever ride on the highway on a bike with open/loud pipes? Ever notice that you can hear the "whoosh" of air louder than the exhaust? Did you also notice that the sound level changes when you turn your head? How about that fuzzy pressure-like feeling you get in your ears after a long ride? That is the sound of your hearing being damaged.

The biggest factor in noise levels has to do with the air rushing around your head. This is most affected by helmet type (full, 3/4, 1/2 or shorty), helmet design (the actual shape) and bike setup (a touring bike with a full windscreen vs. a "naked" one). I'm too lazy to look around for the actual numbers...but understand that even the quietest helmet still allows sound levels (over 100 dB) that can do damage to your eardrums after prolonged exposure (20 to 30 minutes).

The reason you may not have noticed does not have to do with sound volume but rather sound frequency. This is why a bass sound from your speakers sounds lower than the treble even if they are at the same exact volume levels. That's why sirens and alarms are always high-pitched, it will get your attention faster even at a lower volume.

But don't take my word for it, do a little test that will cost you about a dollar. Go buy a pair of disposable foam earplugs. Put them in and ride on the highway for about 30 minutes. Stop, remove your helmet & plugs and just listen for about 10 to 15 minutes. Now, put the helmet on without the plugs and do the exact same test (on the same route if possible). I guarantee that after the second ride, you will notice a "fuzzy" &/or "pressure-like" feeling that you didn't experience with the plugs in.

Old 03-18-2001, 03:24 PM   #29
streetlegal
Founding Member

Default Re: Why Earplugs....?

Earplugs are a must with any helmet. There's no doubt about it. If you're not wearing them, you're losing your hearing.

However, earplugs aren't the solution to all hearing loss problems. Most earplugs have NRR's of up to 33dB. However, that NRR is a weighted average across the frequency spectrum. Foam plugs are very good at blocking high frequency noise that is the most harmful. However, motorcycles produce a lot of low frequency noise from the engine and exhaust that the plugs aren't very effective at reducing.

On a streetbike, active noise reduction is a luxury, providing the rider with a quieter environment. On a full blown Superbike, earplugs alone don't cut it. The earth shattering noise of the v-twin Superbike I ride will damage my hearing if I am exposed to it for very long periods of time -- even though I always wear the best foam earplugs. The scream from the airbox intake, the canon shots from the exhaust, the combustion noise from the motor... most of this stuff is down there around 150-200 Hz where earplugs aren't that effective.

For a racebike, ANR would be very benefitial. Besides protecting the rider's hearing, you get a quieter environment that helps concentration.

Still, helmet manufacturers do almost zip to protect the rider's hearing. They cut away the foam around the ear so it fits -- they don't even begin to seal out noise.

Putting earcups, ANR, and com inside helmets isn't groundbreaking rocket science. Military pilots have had this stuff for decades. This leads me to believe the motorcycle helmet industry would just assume sell people a fancy paintjob and a new airvent gimmick every couple years and pay a top pro to wear their sticker.

My message to helmet makers is "F YOU"

streetlegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2001, 03:25 PM   #30
streetlegal
Founding Member

Default Hearing protection

Earplugs are a must with any helmet. There's no doubt about it. If you're not wearing them, you're losing your hearing.

However, earplugs aren't the solution to all hearing loss problems. Most earplugs have NRR's of up to 33dB. However, that NRR is a weighted average across the frequency spectrum. Foam plugs are very good at blocking high frequency noise that is the most harmful. However, motorcycles produce a lot of low frequency noise from the engine and exhaust that the plugs aren't very effective at reducing.

On a streetbike, active noise reduction is a luxury, providing the rider with a quieter environment. On a full blown Superbike, earplugs alone don't cut it. The earth shattering noise of the v-twin Superbike I ride will damage my hearing if I am exposed to it for very long periods of time -- even though I always wear the best foam earplugs. The scream from the airbox intake, the canon shots from the exhaust, the combustion noise from the motor... most of this stuff is down there around 150-200 Hz where earplugs aren't that effective.

For a racebike, ANR would be very benefitial. Besides protecting the rider's hearing, you get a quieter environment that helps concentration.

Still, helmet manufacturers do almost zip to protect the rider's hearing. They cut away the foam around the ear so it fits -- they don't even begin to seal out noise.

Putting earcups, ANR, and com inside helmets isn't groundbreaking rocket science. Military pilots have had this stuff for decades. This leads me to believe the motorcycle helmet industry would just assume sell people a fancy paintjob and a new airvent gimmick every couple years and pay a top pro to wear their sticker.

My message to helmet makers is "F YOU"

streetlegal is offline   Reply With Quote