Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 03-16-2001, 09:06 AM   #11
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Default Re: Suomy Gun Wind Reader Feedback

I have to agree with you about the HJC helmets. I have an HJC CL-12, plain black (I like plain helmets) and it's by far the most comfortable, quietest and best vented helmet I've ever owned. I've never owned one of those ultra-expensive helmets (well, ok, I had a Shoei in the late 70's and early 80's, buit it was a kids helmet) but I believe that a better helmet can't be found for the money.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-16-2001, 09:31 AM   #12
stevegrab
Founding Member

Some good information is really missing here. You talk about $600 helmets, and how this Suomy is cheaper, but you don't really say what Shoei, Arai helmets you are comparing this to for "top of the line features".

I have a Shoei RF-800 and it is very good, better shield replacement, and only cost about $250 (good mail order price, not $300+ retail price).

Somebody said when you buy a Shoei or Arai you're paying for the name. But I would suspect both make varying models, entry level, midrange, etc. with different prices and features.

You say this is a $400 helmet, I bet I could get a good comparable Shoei or Arai helmet for the same money.

Your own review of the RF-800 indicates its pricing and value ("Not only is the RF-800, at an affordable $268.00 MSRP for solid colors and ranging from $345.00 to $387.00 MSRP for advanced color schemes and race reps, a "best buy", it may be the best buy of any street motorcycle helmet. ") I consider it a midrange helmet. Of course its been replaced by a new RF-900, and they also have other new models.

stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2001, 10:34 AM   #13
streetlegal
Founding Member

Another piece of helmet with a fancy paint job. This helmet does nothing new or particularly well compared to others. Plain color top of the line helmets like the Arai RX7RR4 are $300 online. Anything you pay at your store over that is for the paintjob or to line the distributor's pockets.

I am willing to pay at least $1000 for a better helmet. Nobody makes one.

Why don't helmets feature polycarbonate lenses that are polarized? Why don't they have anti-reflective coatings on the inside? Those ugly looking Iridium coatings are just for fashion.

Why don't helmets feature acoustic chambers for hearing protection? Why don't they come ready to accept speakers and mic's for active noise reduction and communications?

Technologies that improve the primary function of the helmet (head protection) are the most important, but those seem to have stagnated over the past decade as well. Most of the improvements have been in vent design, which are mostly gimmicks.

I want a lot more from a helmet.

streetlegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2001, 10:41 AM   #14
streetlegal
Founding Member

Too much noise because none of them are designed with simple headset type ear cups. With earcups, the noise reduction would be much better. You would still need to wear earplugs for every ride. Putting ANR in the ear cups could preclude the need for earplugs.

Most helmets have similar coefficients of drag. Most devices that would significantly reduce drag impede the movement of the head too much.

Certainly, you can smooth over some edges and gaps, but most of the drag is a result of the helmet's overall shape. Besides this, drag is really a problem of the bike and rider combination. It cannot be evaluated independently with much sucess.

Old 03-16-2001, 11:03 AM   #15
streetlegal
Founding Member

Default Erratum: best price for RX7RR4 is $400. RX7RR3 is $300

Old 03-16-2001, 01:17 PM   #16
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

This is more of a helmet ad than a helmet test. You mention safety ratings which don't include SNELL, but fail to mention WHY the helmet is not SNELL rated. Nor do you give any idea of whether or not you feel that the helmet could/should pass the SNELL certification tests. You mention that most people have an Arai Signet head, but don't bother to mention that the Suomys DON'T fit like a Signet. Arais are oval shaped at the crown (especially Signets) so are Shoeis to a lesser extent. Suomys are round shaped at the crown like most other (cheaper?) helmets. I tried on several Gunwinds both XL and XXL and though I love the light weight and graphics, the fit was quite uncomfortable due to the round shape of the crown. If you are an egg headed geek, like myself, it squeezes/pinches your forehead and is loose at the sides of your head. For those of us with heads that are more oval/egg shaped at the crown (most of the population) I highly recomend the Arai Signet series, or the Shoei RF-800 / RF-900s. If Suomy works on thier internal fitment and obtains SNELL certification, I would seriously consider buying one.
Old 03-16-2001, 01:47 PM   #17
stevegrab
Founding Member

Some good points streetlegal. You're right about people paying $500-600 for lots of these helmets. If they're not the top of the line they're being ripped off by their local dealer (why I don't buy much from them), or they're paying for the fancy graphics.

stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2001, 02:03 PM   #18
ssmiley
Founding Member

Default Motorcyclist - The Real World?

I've always had a Shoei (block) head, but this month's interview with a Shoei rep reads more like a two page advertisement than a useful report on helmet choice. It seems as if this section, created as a response to sites like this and magazines like Motorcycle Consumer News, is becoming a defacto "special" advertisement section.

Keep up the good work here!!

P.S. - The GunWind, AGV's Xvent, HJC high end helmets - all fabulous new entries: Competition Rocks!
ssmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2001, 02:09 PM   #19
Poser
Founding Member

Default Re: Exotic Helmets

I have an FM helmet which fits more or less like an Arai Quantum. I bought it because it fit as well and was cheaper than the Arai. Problem is that it is only imported into the US by one shop- not the one that I bought mine from- and shields are nearly impossible to get. It turned out to be loud and not that well ventilated. The white paint yellowed over the course of a couple of years.

The point? A Suomy helmet may appear to be "as good as an Arai" for a better price, but appearances can be deceiving. Unless face shields are readily available, you better not take a random rock hit unless you have planned ahead and keep a stock of spare shields. The Arai is warranted for five years and is SNELL approved.

I bought an Arai Quantum about a year and 12k miles ago. Aside from the usual road dings, it still looks and fits like new. It is comfortable and quieter than the FM. Even the original face shield is holding up better. The ventilation works well in both warm and cold weather. If you like the graphics, that is fine, but I wear plain white helmets, so it is not an issue for me. To top it all, I got the Arai online for less than the price I paid for the FM.
Poser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2001, 02:42 PM   #20
Gabe
Registered Member

I'm sure they're just as protective as the DOT/Snell certified helmets. However, you may be cited by your local authorities, as all states with helmet laws require at least DOT certified helmets. However, if the Harley nit-wits with their plastic yarmulkes can get away with it, it would be one mean cop who cited you for wearing a CE-certified helmet.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote