Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

View Poll Results: Is Gabe Right or Wrong?
Wrong! 10 4.90%
Right! 18 8.82%
I'm too weaselly to say! 2 0.98%
174 85.29%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-04-2007, 08:28 PM   #61
schizuki
Founding Member

Default Re: Tiers of a Clown: Gabe Responds to ''Power to Wait'' Feedback

I think we're overlooking an unintended consequence of tiered licensing. Think about the kind of brain that decides it wants a Busa for its first bike. If he's denied, he won't buy a smaller bike and work his way up. He'll just re-direct that impulse towards a "tuner" car. So a world with tiered licensing is a world with more coffee-can mufflers and dub spinners.

Is that the kind of nightmare landscape you want to live in? The dead will be the lucky ones.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-04-2007, 08:39 PM   #62
svtech
Registered Member

Certainly off topic ...

I wonder if that SUV driver in Denver had full coverage insurance and proper state training.

There ARE laws, after all.

svtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 08:49 PM   #63
ksquid
Banned

LOL Good one.. But that means more bikes for me..Bring on the tiers..
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 08:56 PM   #64
fumanchu
Founding Member

"As for the rest of us, once we're properly trained -- and can show someone who knows how to ride that he or she can handle a bike without crashing -- we should be able to purchase what we like."

i see this as an analogous to flying an airplane (i fly planes, so here's my two cents). anyone can learn, and you must be licensed to fly. but being rated on a two engine learner doesn't allow you to drive any other two engine passenger aircraft. it would be dangerous to attempt to pilot a dash 800 without extra training. but people who learn on virago 250's can immediately upon attaining their license go out, purchase a gixxer 750, and endanger themselves and others by hopping on a race replica (or even something much less performance oriented). yes they have two wheels, but our fresh riders were trained on peewee cruisers in many cases. kindly combine that with a warning i see all the time in motorcycle forums (in so many words): to a beginner, laying down your bike isn't so much a matter of if, but when. thus, i see nothing wrong with tiered licensing, and would actually be tempted to vote for such a law if it ever came up.

"I firmly believe that a rider who has passed a rigorous training program and is a competent rider will buy a bike that suits her needs, not what she thinks is cool."

1. is see this last statement as a bit idealistic. the online forums are full of p!ssing matches over engine displacement and keeping up with the jones' consumerism - people often buy what they would want to pilot, not what they should pilot.

2. there was a qualifier in this last quote as well... "and is a competent rider..." how many people fresh out of a basic rider course, would you estimate, are competent enough to immediately hop on an r6 without endangering themselves or others? the law currently allows them to.

with all due respect to gabe, i politely disagree. but then again, maybe there's a compromise to be found here: a new rider must take an additional "larger displacement course" to circumvent the one year limitation on their motorcycle license. if someone is actually trained for the class they want to purchase, why should they be prevented from making that purchase?

safe riding everyone
Old 01-04-2007, 09:03 PM   #65
fumanchu
Founding Member

...er, that was " I see this last statement..."
Old 01-04-2007, 09:17 PM   #66
svtech
Registered Member

... and that "tuner" car owner will be displaying his ghost riding skills ...
svtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 10:01 PM   #67
tripleripple
Founding Member

Location: Lightly Fortified Compound (apartment): Chicago, IL

Quick question: Why do legislators even care about this? If any person of any age or experience wipes out on any motorcycle, how many people are dead or injured? My guess is one.

Riding a motorcycle is largely a victimless crime. Of course we're still looking for those stats of how many pedestrians we kill each year. Nonexistent stats because the answer is less than those killed by sharks is my bet.
tripleripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 12:39 AM   #68
connolly_p
Registered Member

You are forgetting people in emergency services. We get to peel riders off the road more often than we'd like, and frankly, it is not pleasant.

Then, there are rider's families, friends, etc who are left to deal with somone's death. This is also not pleasant.

In Australia, the government pays medical bills for injuries on the roads - so that means we are all paying for it.

Finally, I have seen at least one photo of a newbie rider killing himself and two car occupants when he hit them side on at 200kph or thereabouts. So "largely victimless", it is a bit selfish IMHO.
connolly_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 04:01 AM   #69
seruzawa
The Toad

Don't feel bad. He turns every thread into a GPTB deathmarch and a "Kook vs the world" campaign. It's really easy to get sucked in. Like a train wreck you can't help but stare.

Ever tried to read "Mein Kampf"? Kook's screed is reminiscent of Hitler's monomania. Instead of blood, jews and lebensraum we get I-4s, the GPTB and Fox News. There's never a real discussion. Every attempt to communicate is turned into a battle for dominance.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:05 AM   #70
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

All you have to do is watch how many threads are about him. It's about what he knows or what he predicted every time. It doesn't matter how the thread starts, it ends up about him, and how smart he is. Isn't that the premise of the Nazi 'big lie' theory? Tell a big lie loud enough and often enough that people will start to believe it.