Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

View Poll Results: Is Gabe Right or Wrong?
Wrong! 10 4.90%
Right! 18 8.82%
I'm too weaselly to say! 2 0.98%
174 85.29%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-04-2007, 12:47 PM   #41
sfcdjevans
Registered Member

Default Re: Tiers of a Clown: Gabe Responds to ''Power to Wait'' Feedback

www.fuelthefund.com AMA trying to raise money for a new study.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-04-2007, 01:22 PM   #42
jbourne
Founding Member

Default Re: At least ONE crash...

I can see the Buell's being a bit of a handful for a new rider - they do have twitchier throttles at low revs compared to something like an EX or an SV - for someone just getting used to throttle control.

I wonder to some degree if that's one of the contributing factors to the new cruiser riders being so prone to crashes - heaps of low-down torque translating to no 'wuss' zone in the rev. range? A bit of tightness in the grip on a tricky corner would be all a newbie would need to seriously change the line of the bike.

jbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 01:27 PM   #43
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

I agree with the need for mandatory rigorous training, for cage drivers. I believe that would save more Riders than any training Motorcyclists could receive. I've rode with some MSF grads and I disagree with some of what they were doing. Obviously I'm not saying that schools/training are bad but Riders are going to die and get hurt. Like the Cop told me more than thirty years ago, last time I let a cage hit me, "90% of the time that we go to Car/Bike accidents we know two things, it was the Cars fault and the Motorcyclist is hurt."
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 01:44 PM   #44
staff
Registered Member

Default How about this for a thesis:

A middle-aged man with no experience should not start on anything. He should start out with a training class. If he rides a Rebel 250 or a Boss Hoss, he is going to eat it sooner or later.

-Gabe
staff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 01:48 PM   #45
12er
Founding Member

Good point on the Buell, well at least on the Uly I rode it was like a light switch at idle then petering out on the top end, instead of the other way around. In this case a 600 supersport would be a safer ride if kept below 6k.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 02:04 PM   #46
ksquid
Banned

Default Re: How about this for a thesis:

Agreed but as I said in my original response... The tiered system was eliminated in WA state to allow a middle aged legislator to ride his 700+ lb Harley after only one MSF class (parking lot variety on Honda 400cc bikes built for the Korean market).. Even with a more extensive class it would be safer to put him on a 400 lb 500cc bike for his first year or so..
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 02:20 PM   #47
spombe7
Founding Member

Default The data from insurance companies say ...

If you ask motorcycle manufacturers whether a big or fast bike is more dangerous than a small or slow (=predictable power) bike, will they tell you the truth since they are the ones that are selling us ever bigger and faster bikes? What are the real world data, you asked?

I remember data from the insurance companies showed that the Rebel as featured in the picture of your article IS among the four bikes that is least likely to crash. The other three are all <600cc cruisers. Guess what kind of bikes are most likely to crash? I don't remember the exact makes and models but they are all race replica super sports (I do remember Kawi Ninja and Honda CBR though). Is this by chance or can we guess just by common sense? If sportsbikes do not crash as much, it would not cost so much to insure one. In Houston, sometimes your one year insurance for a Honda CBRF4i is more than the cost of the bike.
spombe7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 02:27 PM   #48
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Damn you make sense.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:34 PM   #49
priday
Founding Member

Default Outlaw......

Or, you can do what I did. I said screw it, I've been riding bikes all my life, went out and BOUGHT one, FINANCED IT, and GOT INSURANCE ON IT, and NOBODY (!!!!), not even the POLICE the few times I have been pulled over (No Tickets all five times....) noticed or even asked if I had a Motorcycle Endorsement!

It is pure f***ing vapor to think that the government has its $hit together enought to do ANY of the things we are discussing! It can't even deal with a dangerous scofflaw like myself!

BTW, I ride Every Day on my commute, wear all the gear all the time, and am one of the guys that believes there is a good chance that I'll never crash. (Hope I didn't just Jinx/Screw myself with this little diatribe.....)

Love to all.....

Rob

Horsepower is an illusory mathmatical equation; Torque is Real, and is the source of all good things in the world.
priday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 03:04 PM   #50
schizuki
Founding Member

Valid points.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote