Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 01-04-2007, 02:32 AM   #81
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Default Re: Power to Wait

Here's a quick question.

Let's say we move to a tiered licensing system.

How many people do you know simply won't get licensed. As it is now, people don't bother. It only becomes an issue when you get pulled over in a lot of states (AZ, FL, and maybe PA from what I have experienced, especially AZ).

People will simply find a way around it.

You can't stop stupid and you can't contain it.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-04-2007, 03:08 AM   #82
pebalsam
Registered Member

For a couple of centuries, we enjoyed freedom in this country because our forefathers believed we should be responsible for ourselves; government was not responsible for us. Part of that freedom is the freedom to succeed. I submit that the freedom to fail is no less important or compelling. Reasonable, rational and thoughtful arguments will fail. The most effective way to get the politicians off our back is to force them to do two things: they must switch from whatever pension plan they have to Social Security and they must drop whatever health plan they have and switch to Medicare. Then they will take their first giant step towards becoming the public servants they pretend to be.
pebalsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 03:10 AM   #83
seruzawa
The Toad

You mean that all those Screaming Eagle "off road only" aftermarket parts are being nstalled on HDs that are only used on the street? *gasp* Somneone would ignore the law? *shudder* Better lock tham all up in re-education camps.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:14 AM   #84
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I don't think anyone has a comprehensive answer to the question of motorcycle deaths. I believe they will always be high when the popularity of motorcycling goes up. That is because the majority of the people participating at that point are doing so for other reasons than the pure love of motorcycling, and the desire to ride well. It's to be cool, be a badass, be a psudo racer, a mad skillz stunner, hang at the Burger Barn, or be Easy Rider. Add all the dreamers into the mix, and we have lots of people out there with bikes they can't handle of all sizes and shapes. True motorcyclists don't need government mandated training, or license restrictions. They seek it out on their own, read books about it, practice their skills to become better, and try to pass on their knowledge. With the fad riders, I believe no amount of training will help, because they were never interested in becoming better riders to begin with. You can only teach those that are interested in learning.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:24 AM   #85
seruzawa
The Toad

After all the logical and carefully considered debate is settled and a program to solve the problem is proposed just please remember one thing. The "fix" will be instituted by the govt. Last I looked these incompetents got us neck deep in Iraq and, honestly, they can't even protect us from crooked plumbers. Why anyone wants the govt to get involved more deeply in motorcycling is a mystery to me. Last thing I want is to have to spend even more time than I already do standing in lines at the DMV. Especially since I know that the squids will still be riding without bothering with licenses at all.

A tiered licensing system in theory sounds like a good idea. You can almost guarantee that the State Govts will implement such an idea in the most stupid way imaginable. It will just become yet another way to dip into our pockets. Heck, the DMVs refuse to de-license obviously dangerous half-blind octagenarians. How many bikers do these elderly kamakazes account for each year?
Old 01-04-2007, 03:26 AM   #86
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

And how long will it take for someone to work around the engine management system?

I would wager there would be links and articles online detailing ways around the engine management system even before the law is put into place.

It all goes back to personal responsibility.

Old 01-04-2007, 03:29 AM   #87
findangle
Founding Member

Yes but you see the point wasn't "Are people riding bikes that are too big for thier skills.." The point was more along the lines of "What percentage of the accidents are caused by people doing things that are ALREADY illegal.."

No point in making more laws when the problem is people not following the ones that are already there.

That said. I've recently purchased my first motorcycle (a sundiro 125 which is basically a chinese made rebel 125). i live in the US Virgin Islands. There is no MSF course here. There is no motorcycle training available AT ALL here.. In fact there is not even a motorcycle license here. The same license i got at 16 that lets me drive my chevy s10 allows me to ride my bike. For the record I'm 24 years old. Easily in the "damn kids" demographic.

Most of the motorcycle accidents around here I would consider serious.. Most of them are also head on collisions with cars who either cross the double yellow to pass the guy in front of them, Or clip corners a little tight on really narrow roads.

What would you change about the situation here? My solution was to get a small bike to learn on and pick up a copy of David Hough's Proficient Motorcycling.

Given the nature of the accidents around here I don't believe a smaller bike is going to save my life. I wanted something I could easily control and not feel overwhelmed on. Basically I'd rather have contempt for the power of my bike rather then fear at this point in my riding career.

findangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 03:33 AM   #88
dragcab
Founding Member

There you go again! Not to get too far afield, but you refered to motorcycle riding as a sport. That just drives me nuts. For 99.9% of all riders it is an activity, not a sport. Motorcycles can be used for sport, of course, but not when you are just out for a ride. Do you consider riding in a car or truck a sport? They can both be used for racing, but are usually just transportation. I certainly don't need to refer to bike riding as a sport to feel good about it, and when I want to see bikes used for sport, I go to Mid-Ohio and watch the super bike races.

Just my two cents.
dragcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 03:48 AM   #89
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

And could you imagine if the government came up with a mandatory list of required riding gear?

It would either be completely useless or dangerous. Speaking of which, I hear the government will be issuing a new rifle to the troops; itÂ’s called an M-16. How about we go out into a swamp and giver her a spin during live combat? IÂ’m sure it will work quite wellÂ…

Old 01-04-2007, 03:48 AM   #90
gbrummett
Founding Member

Default WOW!

WOW!

Don't think I have ever seen a news post with so much responce.

Seems everyone has an opioion on the subject some good some not so good.

So... what's going to happen here in the good ole USA.

NOTHING!! That's what, Harley Davidson will make sure of that, if a restive begainner law were implemented here then like was said above that would be the end for them.

You can be sure that Harley has the political clout to make sure this never happens.
gbrummett is offline   Reply With Quote