Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 01-03-2007, 11:38 PM   #71
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

Default Re: I'm the perfect motorcyclist!

And I'm wearin gasoline shorts.
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-03-2007, 11:44 PM   #72
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

Default Re: Wow!

Yeah, it might be useful to know what the hell we are arguing about.
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 11:50 PM   #73
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Default Re: Power to Wait

Than how come there is still such a push to limit and restrict motorcycle rights/privileges in the UK?
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 11:56 PM   #74
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Fine, due to two MOrons finding my politeness creepy and one troll who is rude no matter what you say, I will rephrase:

----------------------------------------------------

What are you a f***ing R-tard?! You are wrong, wrong, wrong, WRONG!!!!!!!! Every word that comes out of your mouth is a like a turd falling into my drink!

----------------------------------------------------

Better, everyone?
Old 01-04-2007, 12:39 AM   #75
apples
Founding Member

Being a resident of Japan, where there is tiered license system, I think it's worth shedding a more light on how the structure works. Once you pass the test for knowledge for traffic laws, etc., there are 4 classes of 2-wheel licenses:

1) 50 cc

2) up to 125 cc

3) up to 400 cc

4) unlimited

A driving test is required, in which one must demonstrate various skills, including:

• Picking up the pick from a laying down position (i.e., as if you had just dropped it in a parking lot);

• Low speed balance

• Sudden braking at a set speed within a specified distance

• Timed slalom course

There isnÂ’t any requirement to get all of them in order. Assuming youÂ’re over 18 (age limit for driving a car or a bike over 50 cc), you can go straight for the unlimited license if you want.

The key point is that you must demonstrate some skill for a particular class before getting the license.

But anybody with any riding experience knows braking, balance, throttle control (as alluded to by another poster), etc., are different on bigger (heavier) bikes – not to mention righting them after a fall (!).

apples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 01:39 AM   #76
eghaley
Founding Member

Wow! I heartily agree with your training first then the bike. The Power to wait until you achieve some skills and then ride to make yourself competent and confident seems to be the best plan on riding safely.

Although I don't have my motorcycle yet, I did take the Motorcycle safety course. Very rewarding. My problem is that I still like bicycling.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I agree with your opinions and feel that they're spot on.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:10 AM   #77
pplassm
Founding Member

There's one simple measure that would cut down on a lot of crashes and fatalities. Mandate a license to operate before a person can legally register a bike for the street. A lot of crashers never bother to get a license.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:10 AM   #78
Tadgh
Registered Member

speaking as someone who has come through the european (irish) tiered system i have to disagree with you gabe .

the system basically works ok with some obvious flaws but the idea of anyone getting onto a full powered or heavy weight motorcycle as a first bike is insane.

i understand that training is obviously the best solution, train the rider and he can ride anything. however that is the idea of the tiered system it is making the rider do his training on the road on a bike that he can do relatively less damage to himself with.

accidents due to other vehicles will happen regardless of the bike you are on, but all the operator caused accidents i believe are magnified by the size and power of the bike you are riding.

slight wheelie on a dt125 no problem..front wheel slide ..no big deal ..bar shake on a crest scary but manageable...

now try that lot of a zx10 or gsxr1000 ..

as an example i went down to a motocross track recently with some friends for a practice ...some had never been on a motocross track before but all were bike riders of experience.

the bikes on offer to ride were a couple of 250 four strokes, 450 four stroke and an ol' kx500 two stroke. what bikes did they choose?

the 250s for the first hour or two then a couple of goes on the others, which they all came back saying *thats way too much for me give me back the 250*.

all the tiered system is doing is preventing the novice rider who doesnt have the knowledge to say *thats way too much for me* from making the mistake that these experienced guys can recognise

Tadgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 02:21 AM   #79
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

"Conceding all that, don't you think we still ought to require some kind of competence to operate something that will go 180 mph. or the quarter in ten seconds?"

--We don't for cars. And, alst I recall, the driving test is a joke.

And the AMA argument is WEAK. Tell that argument to gun owners and they will laugh in your face. We can't even agree on helmet laws.

And riding a motorcycle is STILL defined as a privilege. Gun ownership is at least mentioned in the constitution...whether you agree it refers to private ownership is up to you.

You will ALWAYS have stupid, irresponsible riders. Whether they are doing 110 on a 250cc sportbike or doing 140 on a 1000cc sportbike, IT WILL STILL HAPPEN FREQUENTLY.

Limitation will only increase creativity. Limit people to 250cc bikes and watch the aftermarket (legal or otherwise) segment skyrocket and you will have 250cc bike that are lighter doing 140-150mph within the first 24 months.

And if you limit horsepower, people will simply ride around illegally and the private seller market will boom.

Simply put, making limitations a law sets a precedent. Only more limitations will follow. That is society.

Hmm...this post is coming off as angry. Please re-read in a more light-hearted tone.

Old 01-04-2007, 02:25 AM   #80
KLRer
Founding Member

I'm against intrusive govt, unless they perhaps someday give a thought to reigning in industrial polluters. But the individual citizen has enough kick-down the doors govt already.

That said, if I were to justify the British type laws here, I'd note that beginning pilots are not allowed to fly a jet or even a twin engine craft. They need additional certifications to do so and hours of experience.
KLRer is offline   Reply With Quote