Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 01-04-2007, 08:13 AM   #201
Kreb_Cycle
Registered Member

Default Re: Performance stats for Kawasaki Ninja ZX-2R / ZXR250

I want one of those.
He was a fattish but active man of paralyzing stupidity, a mass of imbecile enthusiasms—one of those completely unquestioning, devoted drudges on whom, more even than on the thought police, the stability of the Party depended. - George Orwell _1984_
Kreb_Cycle is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-04-2007, 08:29 AM   #202
epinkert
Founding Member

Default Re: Power to Wait

<blockquote>We can all agree that displacement affects the fatality rate of those accidents. Young men all over the nation kill themselves on GSXR's during the first 6 months that they own them.</blockquote>

I've gotta agree with my co-posters. You don't have a shred of data to back up your opinion. Gabe's opinion is actually backed up by hard data - studies which show that displacement has very little to do with fatality rates. It's in the famous 25-year-old Hurt report and repeated in the current WA study in the article. You've got an inkling and some 'conventional wisdom'.</p>

Tell me honestly, did you even read the article that you're discussing? Your post suggests otherwise.</p>
epinkert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 08:30 AM   #203
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

My first motorcycle was an 883 Sportster; Black, of all colors, (I actually had a so called seasoned HD rider repremand me for buying a black harley as my first bike! Apparently one has to work up to the color black, when riding a Harley.

I'm not doubting your experience with this, not in the slightest. But, that sounds like quite possibly the STOOPIDEST thing I've ever heard.

Back in the mid-late '80s, the 883 Sportster was $3995 in BLACK (Harley also had a "1-year 100% trade-in" program that would give you that $3995 back if you "traded up" to a bigger bike within a year). Any other colour cost you from $250 to $500 EXTRA. So, what did the Harleyhead "Expert" expect a new rider to do? Pay extra cash so you could "work your way up to Black"?

This kind of B.S. is the thing that so repulses me about the "Harley Mystique and Heritage". It is the A-#1 reason why I don't ride a Harley to this day. Many "Motor Company Faithful" can't even keep from hating you because you ride the "wrong kind" of Harley, let alone get along with riders of other, "lesser" makes (DAM JAP BIKES!!!!!! they scream at the guys on BMWs and Ducatis........).
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 08:31 AM   #204
kwh
Founding Member

I would point out that just because a cager was at fault, doesn't mean that an experienced/trained rider wouldn't have spotted a problem developing and/or had the machine control skills to avoid it when it did.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:48 AM   #205
epinkert
Founding Member

<blockquote>IMHO, the rationale behind tiered licensing is hard to disagree with in the real world </blockquote>

It's really, really easy to disagree with. The studies show that displacement has very little to do with fatality rates (have you read the Hurt report?). The numbers are all there and it's clearly written. This legislation was made based upon idealistic thinking and 'conventional wisdom'...not pragmatic thinking based upon an interpretation of real accident data.</p>

The thing about 'conventional wisdom' in any sense is that it's usually wrong when it's not based upon any pragmatic interpretation of data.</p>
Old 01-04-2007, 08:49 AM   #206
kwh
Founding Member

Well, leaving aside those who get wood from imposing restrictions on people for the sake of it, if they can get away with it, the next change to licencing coming down the pipe is the addition of an off-road high-speed avoidance exercise as part of the final motorcycle licence test.

It's not a bad idea in principle, but is causing huge practical problems (because suddenly to administer motorcycle tests, a test centre needs access to a large offroad range, meaning that many local test centres are going to have to stop providing motorcycle licence testing altogether. This regulation was imposed by the EU, rather than our own elected politicians.

The next stupid idea down the pipe after that one is several years away, but again comes from the EU, and is currently being fought by the riders rights organisations because it fits into the category of 'restrictions for the sake of restrictions from a small clique of unelected officials who hate the whole idea of motorcycles', and went through the European Parliament on the nod, buried in a vast package of driving licence harmonisation measures that everybody did agree with.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:59 AM   #207
epinkert
Founding Member

<blockquote>I'm sorry to be a spoil sport, but I would suggest that Gabe spend some time on the roads in North Georgia and look at the accident statistics.</blockquote>

Why don't you share these accident statistics with us? Or are they just anecdotal? It's hard to tell, which is why I'm honestly asking if you've got any real data to back your statements up. I've got some for you -- the famous hurt report. It says that there is very little correlation between displacement and fatalities.</p>
<blockquote>The tiered licensing system that other countries have in place is effective.</blockquote>

Again, do you have any evidence to back this up, or is this strictly opinion stated as fact? Really, post some statistics to support this so we don't have to take your opinion for it. The only statistics that I've seen here don't support your conclusion.</p>
Old 01-04-2007, 09:01 AM   #208
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Default Re: Point taken

Honda and Yamaha both supply "free on loan" bikes to most MSF-sponsored courses.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:02 AM   #209
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Default Re: Wow!

Gabe, I didn't know your middle name was "Vara"!

[b];^D
Old 01-04-2007, 09:06 AM   #210
staff
Registered Member

Default You'll be getting a package shortly.

It's a candy-gram. Pay no attention to the ticking.
staff is offline   Reply With Quote