Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 01-03-2007, 06:10 PM   #11
DiazBrito
Registered Member

Default Re: Power to Wait

Your report is exactly on the nose, size isn't the big issue, it's the rider who buy's not knowing how to even ride. Scooters are the new craze for the youth here in PR and the dealers have to repair dozens because they wreck at the first turn or intersection by the dealer. Imagine mister cool on his brand new Busa who has never ridden a bike in his life. Reading, learning and training make all the difference in the world. How many people still can't even adjust the time on the dashboard of their car or VCR? This issue applies to all vehicles, hell it was the SUV's fault for being tall and heavy that rollovers occur. (My CR 250 rides just like a Busa in the whoops too!)I'm willing to bet if you switched all the Automatic cars in America to Stick more than half of the population wouldn't be able to drive to work the next day because they never learned!
DiazBrito is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-03-2007, 06:11 PM   #12
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

I respectfully disagree.

I disagree with setting a precedent for the government to limit what you can do because it will only continue to progress as the years go by.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 06:17 PM   #13
eeminer
Registered Member

The question is how do we turn around an ever increasing number of MC fatalities. I wish the statictics listed type of bike (brand/style) age of rider, and experience level. I firmly belive that the large majority of the increase is due to unexperienced, middle aged clueless rebels that can now afford the Harley ( or metric crusier) of their dreams. Once they have it which due to the lack of legally mandated training ( unlike a pilots license) they aren't truly capable of riding they then due to the herd mentality go off to be rebels for the weekend which of course means worthless beanie helmet, and worthless leather fringe leather vests with matching assless chaps, oh and of course fingerless gloves ( big help they are) They then of course go to silly rallys drink and ride, crash and die. Amazing how pear pressure still affects grown ups! Would a tiered licensing system help? Bet your butt it would. How many would be rebels would still ride if they had to ride a "chicks" bike for a few months before getting their hog-o-matic.. (or racer replica) It would for sure seperate the posers from the folks that really wanted to learn to ride. How many of us are still around because when we started riding, the bikes available weren't sub 11 sec quarter milers, or 800lbs monsters.. We learned to ride small dirt bikes and 350's when we crashed it was at slower speeds... Is the Answer a tiered licensing system No, but since it seems an american god given right to whine about ones personal liberties being infringed upon at the drop of a hat, it may be the least intrusive way of helping new riders stay breathing riders.
eeminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 06:23 PM   #14
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Stick..............? Isn't that the think KPaul hit in the middle of the road here awhile back?
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 06:25 PM   #15
sirken
Registered Member

You jackapes are so caught up in your ideology that you are missing the point.

Gabe repeatedly states his opinion that displacement does not affect the likelihood of an accident, but do any of us truly believe that is true? It is common sense that a ZX-10R gives a testosterone-rush beginner far greater ability to get into trouble than a Rebel 250. Heck, get on the throttle too hard, and you're upside down! The Rebel maxes out at 70 mph, the ZX-10R will do over 100 mph in first gear!

Still, let's assume for the sake of argument that Gabe's statement is true, that displacement does not effect the likelihood of an accident. We can all agree that displacement affects the fatality rate of those accidents. Young men all over the nation kill themselves on GSXR's during the first 6 months that they own them. Are all the tearful mothers, young widows and shattered lives worth it? Is it such a big deal that raw beginner be allowed to ride away from a dealership on a literbike?

Look past your knee-jerk reaction. It is not an unreasonable burden to make beginners start off on low-displacement bikes.

sirken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 06:35 PM   #16
drsmithy
Registered Member

My only real criticism of what we have here is that bigger guys who do longer rides should be allowed more suitable bikes. eg, in NSW (also Austalia), learners can ride bikes up to 650cc, provided they fall within the power-weight limits. For example, a F650GS is learner legal in NSW, whereas an RS250 is not. In Victoria, it is the other way around. I know which bike I'd rather my sons were riding when they start to ride...

This is one of the (few) things the NSW Government gets mostly right (they don't take into account the weight of the rider is my only gripe - while I didn't learn in NSW, I can sympathise with other 6'2, 110+kg people who have to tootle around on tiny bikes).

Personally, were I in charge, I'd go a step farther and institute an additional licence class to capture the really high powered racers like GSXR1000s and R1s - to be licenced for one should require further compulsory, certified rider training (although not another test).

(I have the same feelings about SUVs - there should be additional licensing requirements to be able to drive one. It'd also be nice if you could get an additional licence endorsement that allowed you to legally exceed the posted speed limit on the highway by a given amount as well, but I digress...)

The "problem" with litre-class weapons is not so much the ultimate top speed, but how frighteningly quickly you get there. I borrowed a mate's '05 GSXR1000 for a few weeks a while back and decided shortly thereafter that I'd never buy one for day to day riding. I can certainly see the pleasure in track days and twisties (which was all he used it for), but riding one around town - especially in the wet - requires so much concentration it just takes the pleasure out of it. After a couple of days I just started putting it into second or third and treating it like a scooter for general riding around (although that couldn't stop it from being f*cking uncomfortable).

IMHO, the rationale behind tiered licensing is hard to disagree with in the real world and doesn't meaningfully disadvantage anyone (eg: paying an extra, say AU$500 for a "superbike" licence certification pales into insignificance compared to the money that would subsequently be spent on the bike itself, insurance and all the other stuff someone who really, really wanted one would end up springing for). It strikes a fair and reasonable balance between banning the things outright and stopping people who just need their egos caressing, from being a danger to themselves and - more importantly - others.
drsmithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 06:38 PM   #17
sconley
Founding Member

...Man, am I the only one who likes the idea of a 10% flat tax (or a 0% flat tax)? Who's yer tax accountant? ...I wish I could find fault in paying 10%... But that analogy aside, I won't quibble about whether a zx10 is more dangerous than a rebel 250... It's the principle that is important here, as not riding a motorcycle is certainly less dangerous than riding one... Yet I enjoy having that choice...
sconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 06:41 PM   #18
schizuki
Founding Member

"Young men all over the nation kill themselves on GSXR's during the first 6 months that they own them."

Data?

"Look past your knee-jerk reaction. "

Good advice. And rather ironic. So, let's see that data.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 06:47 PM   #19
schizuki
Founding Member

"...Man, am I the only one who likes the idea of a 10% flat tax"

Nope, although the similar Fair Tax is much, much better. And calling the flat tax "unblinking lunacy" is tiresomely familiar hyperbole.

"It's the principle that is important here, as not riding a motorcycle is certainly less dangerous than riding one... Yet I enjoy having that choice... "

Exactly. Every "there outta be a law" safety argument for motorcycles is always logically reducable to "ban motorcycles."

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 06:47 PM   #20
Dixit
Registered Member

Sorry Gabe and Co , but you are wrong.

How can you argue with plain physics? If an object is faster or heavier, it is more difficult to control , and there is a learning curve on a motorcycle, like it or not.

Your argument is akin to loud pipes save lives or motorcycle riders don't need helmets. It's plain non-sense. I was wondering if anybody had the number of fatalities per bike in the US versus a country like Germany?
Dixit is offline   Reply With Quote