Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 01-04-2007, 07:05 AM   #181
dorkboy
Registered Member

Default Re: Power to Wait

In order to justify government action, I would like to see some statistics on how many others are being killed or injured by the proverbial inexperienced squid on a 160hp bike. Lousy cage drivers tend to take others with them, providing at least some justification for government involvement, and oddly enough, the government is hardly involved at all in licensing to drive a car. Basically, a pulse is sufficient. On the other hand, an inexperienced rider is probably far less likely to kill or injure anyone but themselves when they cross into oncoming traffic. In combination with the statistical paucity of motorcycles on the road compared to cages, I think it unlikely that a public safety argument can be sustained. Since small displacement bikes typically weigh almost as much or more than an open class sportbike, physics would dictate that the effect on public safety of center-punching a Buick at 80 mph is about the same on an EX500 as on a GSX-R 1000.

As for the safety of the rider, from a policy perspective, who cares? Certainly it's tragic when someone kills themselves through their own error, but not all tragedies can be (or should be) legislatively prevented. Look how successful the war on drugs has been. Aside from the ethical issues, governments' attempts to protect ourselves from our own stupidity have not historically been very effective. In my opinion, not effective enough to justify the costs, financially and to liberty. Of course, liberty is not always valued very highly.

It's not as if rider education is not readily available. Small displacement bikes are as well. When my wife expressed interest in riding, we found a used CB250, the same as she used in the MSF parking lot class, and continued her training. After getting tired of seeing nothing but the grilles of semis in her mirrors while laying on the tank with the throttle pinned, we sold it for more than we had payed for it and bought an EX500. Now she's on an SV650. After five years of riding, she still learns more every time she rides (as do I after 30 years) and isn't sure she will ever need more than 70hp. The point is that she voluntarily graduated to higher power bikes because she has some concern for her own well-being, not because she was forced to. No government action could have instilled that in her or anyone else.

The issue here is political clout. There are not enough motorcyclists to make politicians think twice about impinging upon our freedoms in order to "do something." If tiered licensing were proposed for cagers, the immediate political fallout would be loud and intense for the proposer. Politicians only drag out the old "even if it only saves one life it's worth it" when the majority of the costs are borne by a minority with little political power.
dorkboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-04-2007, 07:07 AM   #182
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Excellent Post... follow the data

You might recall KPs first (and only) bike was a ZX6r.

So I guess it's more of don't practice what you preach.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 07:10 AM   #183
jordy
Registered Member

That is a very reasonable article. Unfortunately, we live in a complex country. It seem's government alway's look's for the quick fix. Tierd licensing is a quick "paper" fix, and training courses ARE the real and effective fix. However, the paper fix will probably prevail. But sign me up for any petition's toward the real, logical, effective fix of training and waiting.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:12 AM   #184
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

Well said.
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 07:16 AM   #185
KLRer
Founding Member

Riding a motorcycle safely also requires a degree of learned timing and coordination in kind of the same way as flying a small plane, particularly landing one. Also, alcohol and motorcylcing don't mix any better than alcohol and piloting a plane because of the sharp edge in balance, coordination and timing thats required for both. Just tootling around at modest speeds but carving up the twisties in traffic is an entirely different ballgame.
KLRer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 07:19 AM   #186
Kreb_Cycle
Registered Member

I completely agree. I wish the government would forget completely that motorcycles exist and just leave us alone.

I'm currently not able to get tabs for my beat up old truck (which is worth about a thousand dollars but runs fine and is great for lugging my dogs around) because my exhaust manifold is cracked, and I refuse to spend the money to get it fixed since it will cost half the value of the truck. The problem isn't that it won't pass emissions; it actually did last time I tested. The problem is that the crack is big enough now that it doesn't send enough exhaust through the pipe to test it. The gov has allowances for old beaters that don't pass; you show you spent a hundred bucks or so trying to fix th problem and you get a waiver. No allowances for inability to test though. Thanks Gov!
He was a fattish but active man of paralyzing stupidity, a mass of imbecile enthusiasms—one of those completely unquestioning, devoted drudges on whom, more even than on the thought police, the stability of the Party depended. - George Orwell _1984_
Kreb_Cycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 07:22 AM   #187
Kreb_Cycle
Registered Member

Default Re: WOW!

Only soldier's deaths.
He was a fattish but active man of paralyzing stupidity, a mass of imbecile enthusiasms—one of those completely unquestioning, devoted drudges on whom, more even than on the thought police, the stability of the Party depended. - George Orwell _1984_
Kreb_Cycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 07:29 AM   #188
RonXX
Founding Member

Nice, but I meant that the date at the top says the article is from January 2006. I can't believe I pay $1 a month for this kind of editing!
RonXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 07:29 AM   #189
bkbennett
Registered Member

Too much common sense and logic in that essay to be politically correct, Gabe.

bkbennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 07:30 AM   #190
ksquid
Banned

Default Re: WOW!

I apologize for this remark. You are quite right. However, because I criticize the president is not a disrespect of any service person. longride used the B word and I lost it I apologize.
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote