Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 01-04-2007, 06:30 AM   #141
findangle
Founding Member

Default Re: Power to Wait

I agree that you shouldn't have to pay for someone else's poor choices. Your tax dollars shouldn't have to be spent on scraping up idiots off the street or rehabing people off of chemicals they couldnt control.

My point is that those people should have been responsible enough not to get on that bike or smoke that stuff in the first place if they couldnt handle it. And if we want more legislation it should be aimed at changing the selfish behavior instead of limiting their choices.

It kind of reminds me of the violence in video games controversy in the US. So much effort is put into preventing the children from playing these games and so little effort put into teaching them the difference between what is acceptable behavior in a game versus the real word.

Another classic example is the woman that sued mcdonalds because she burned herself when she knocked over her hot coffee.

It's time for these people to take some responsibility for their actions or else maybe they don't need to live in the same "public" as the rest of us.
findangle is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-04-2007, 06:30 AM   #142
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Aviation is safe cuz there aren't any bars in the sky.

If it was like the Jetsons, there would be crashes everywhere up there.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 06:31 AM   #143
zenjim
Registered Member

I reject your arguement totally! No one is still wearing bell bottoms.

Further, I could've done without the "scrotum-exposing Bermuda shorts" imagery.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:34 AM   #144
rmf3
Registered Member

Hi all,

Hmmm, I'm on my 4th bike since '75. 1st. was a Kaw. 125 d/p. Rode a lot out in the woods with Dad, with most street riding equalling getting to said woods. Stopped in '80 for college. 2nd. was an '82 Honda Silverwing 500. Glad I'd had previous experience; from the sticks of Louisiana to the streets of Dallas. 3rd. in '87 was a Yamaha SRX600 sport bike. Great ride, quite different from the previous bikes however (seating, power characteristics, brakes (for the time).

Current bike is a Kaw. 250 Super Sherpa. Glad I decided on it also. Reason? When purchased 8/04, hadn't been on a bike since '88. Much availiable currently is a bit intimidating, but 20 or so HP and 250 lbs. dry got me going comfortably. Took the MSF course before riding again, wear full gear including an Aerostich 1 piece, Combat Tour boots, FF helmet that fits, etc. I get stares & laughs but who cares?

When first learning to ride, Dad & I subscribed to several of the magazines, read books, etc. and applied the knowledge and learned. I'm still learning and reading. Of the bikers that I know around here, only a few are interested in being a better rider, informed, licensed, proper maintenance, etc. Nothing against them, many are old timers, but a lot of it is the biker club thing.

However, with all of that said, I don't know the answer. The dealers seem to sell whatever to whomever, take their $, and "see ya' ". Most of the M/C stuff on cable is .... (enjoy the M/X and road racing though), and seems to be non-productive towards safe, knowledgable riding.

I ride for the love of it, not the so-called "cool" factor. But that doesn't sell bikes. Should the dealers be responsible for what they sell? With the apparent current laws (or lack thereof) I'd say no. There should be a system for getting beginning riders off on the right foot; including instruction before/after purchase. There is the MSF of course, but it seems to be un-known except among enthusiasts. However, I'm not one to tell someone else what they can and can't do, but I mention the course, and help in any way possible.

A bit long winded, just one person's perceptions and experiences.

Bob

rmf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 06:37 AM   #145
Buzglyd
Founding Member

We should just put up speed cameras everywhere like they do in those tiered licensing countries and then everything would be great.

No one would ever die again.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 06:42 AM   #146
DaveFla
Founding Member

Default Re: I don't care at all.

Come on, Gabe. You know very well that the wrecks are going to happen anyway and that we should therefore simply try to minimize consequences, rather than place an emphasis on education... blah blah blah.

Excuse me, I gotta send a check to the AMA & MRF; maybe then someday we'll have a NHTSA head who isn't an epidemiologist or trauma surgeon.

DaveFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 06:50 AM   #147
testcase
Founding Member

The question then is.. do you still drink it?

--------------------------------------------------
The Wheelnerds Podcast - http://www.wheelnerds.com
testcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 06:50 AM   #148
acecycleins
Founding Member

I'm only going to say this once and will not re-enter this thread because anyone here that does not understand the insurance indistry will certainly disagree.

Tier the system- The EU, England, Australia and a few others a use the tiered system. Does it hurt the sales side of the motorcycle industry- the answer is yes and no. Yes- it will because licensing is more complicated. No- because those that fulfill the licesing requirements tend to be safer riders that stay on the roads longer than the squid that just trashed his brand new GSXR and is now affraid to ride again.

Selling motorcyle insurance (for 8 years now) gives me license to speak on this. Aside from the insurance haters out there- and you know who you are, we need it because we are mandated by the state to have it. Should it be this way? Probably not. But reality is that people are NOT self-insured and DO NOT take care of financial obligations of victims in the event of an accident. That's the simplist reasoning in why we are mandated by gov't to have insurance.

The tiered system WILL do a few things: 1- it will detour those that are only out for the "squidly" fun and adventure because they will be unable to tag a bike they are not qualified to ride on the street. 2- it will create better traing classes and maybe open up the market to private sector to assist. 3- and most importantly, it will save us money on insurance rates. I know #3 will or would be fact- I have many friends in the insurance industry and they all have said that if a tiered system was in effect that insurance rates would (in some cases reduce) stablize for at least a 4 to 6 year period so the actuaries (bean counters) can assess the claims data and see where the companies are saving on claims vs premium collected.

Does it hurt the new rider that is over 40? No- you can buy any number of low cc bikes. It will also open the US market to models that are not available to us because the manufacturers believe low cc bikes never had a market here. Tiering will change that. Will it create safer riders- depends on how the individual states set up licensing procedures and if they allow state and private industry to be utilized in the training process.

Fact is tiering works- even if you think it stinks. And it will create safer, more alert riders in the long run.

I'm done- thanks for your time.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:51 AM   #149
mitctho
Registered Member

Amen. And if they have the $$$ to buy a bottle of Jack Daniels or bag of coke, they should be able to ingest it while flying their jet. Let 'er rip.
mitctho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 06:52 AM   #150
testcase
Founding Member

Default Re: I don't care at all.

I thought Davey Duke didn't believe in the holocaust as a historical event... it was all a juuuish conspiracy!

--------------------------------------------------
The Wheelnerds Podcast - http://www.wheelnerds.com
testcase is offline   Reply With Quote