Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 01-04-2007, 04:21 AM   #121
Tadgh
Registered Member

Default Re: Power to Wait

scars on his knees ..and possibly metal and/or screws somewhere too...

its funny how most of the old war stories my friends have from crashes ..usually start with...

*hey remember that old 250 i had that time...*

...rather than how you stacked your gold wing *L*
Tadgh is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-04-2007, 04:25 AM   #122
ksquid
Banned

Default But we do have data

Yes you were to obtuse.. But you are still wrong... I guess I was lulled asleep by schizuki and your assertion we don't have data. But we do! We can compare U.K. data with U.S. data. Also since I posted the WA state study and several articles which show accident data, I think you guys are cleverly and conveniently ignoring data that suggests that boomer's are having more accidents i.e. can't control their heavy bikes..
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 04:27 AM   #123
RosevilleRod
Registered Member

Default Freedom

Freedom! A word that can bring joy and disaster with equal speed.

When a government wants to restrict it because "it's what's best for me" then we're on a slippery slope. Whoops, already there.

Seat belts! They save lives but take the choice away from me.

A long and vociferous argument can be made on both sides with equal logic and passion and truth. But what about holding me responsible for my OWN actions?

BTW, equating the flat tax (no tiers) with our current income tax (heavily tiered) then comparing it to our current licensing process (no tiers) with a tiered licensing process makes absolutely no sense! Gabe, you've got it backwards!

RosevilleRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 04:27 AM   #124
xlr8r
Founding Member

Default Re: The Horror!

Power to weight is indeed the way to go, and legislation about this is already coming into force in the EU. Which is why Harley 883s slip under the wire - they weigh so much against their output!
xlr8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 04:28 AM   #125
Tadgh
Registered Member

Default Re: WOW!

yeah ok i see what you mean but ...*L*

the 8-10 grand bikes in europe ..say litre bikes are the flagship bikes but also i think almost loss leaders..seeing as so much development goes into them..

the 2-4 grand bikes dont have this and i believe overall make more profit for the company...

ok you still have the extra stock problem
Old 01-04-2007, 04:29 AM   #126
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I agree with you 100%. It's a crime to let anyone with no or limited experiance on a 160 hp sportbike or to sell a newbie an 850lb cruiser. I think a tiered licensing system should be in place and aggressivly enforced., I don't care if some 50 year old fat ass has to ride an EX500 for a year until he can get his Ultraspringersofttailturdoglide or if some kid has to ride one before he can get his GSXR.

If they like riding they'll stick with it, if not it's one less dumb ***** negitivly impacting a sport I love.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 04:32 AM   #127
speedee
Registered Member

I don't think tiered licensing is the answer. It looks like another big brother program to me. Where do you suppose the funding to manage a program like this would come from? Get ready to pay more for your "M" endorsements and bike registrations. Training and common sense sound like better options to me. Power to wait makes even more sense.
speedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 04:34 AM   #128
Tadgh
Registered Member

what restrictions are you talking about?

the current motorcycle debate relates to off road use similar to the ohv debate the us had with clinton i think?

but there are no other motorcycle restrictions (ok the tiered licence system) but the government is leaning towards bikes as a traffic solution like ireland here.

no congestion charge, free parking, low vehicle tax, use of bus lanes etc

Old 01-04-2007, 04:34 AM   #129
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Default Re: WOW!

Right AND there are a HELL of a lot more big-@ss cruisers over here which, I also think, is a huge money maker...which will also sit.

What's *L* mean?

BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 04:36 AM   #130
findangle
Founding Member

I think where we disagree is that i believe it's none of my governments business what bike I choose to ride.

If i decide to ride a gixer as my first bike thats my choice.. HOWEVER.. that doesn't give me the right to endanger other motorists. There is a certain basic responsibility that one takes for their actions above and beyond any legally implied. I personally don't feel i have the skills to take that responsibility so i went with a smaller bike. This is basic respect for others around me.

This is not something that i feel is appropriate for legislation though. If someone needs a law to be passed for them to behave responsibly toward the people around them, maybe the problem is a little deeper then a motorcycle license.

I've personally done nothing wrong and anyone that tries to penalize me for something someone else has done wrong is going to get laughed at.

Then again I'm also in the camp that says if i want to sit on my couch and shoot heroin thats my business and not the governments.

In my opinion if someone is riding a bike they can't handle on the road and going way too fast to be safe then they should be stopped and hauled in for recklessly endangering the people around him. not for riding a bike thats bigger then his license.

The problem with legislating actions is that it doesn't address the behavior. And the behavior is whats dangerous. Someone thats going to ride a bike they can't handle safely around traffic is probably not going to limit their reckless decision making to their choice in motorcycles.
findangle is offline   Reply With Quote