Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Power to Wait (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/4188-power-wait.html)

BrowningBAR 01-04-2007 03:10 AM

Re: Power to Wait

Did you ever pick up an AK from someone that "dropped" theirs?

seruzawa 01-04-2007 03:18 AM

Amusing isn't it? An SV650 would have outperformed every motorcycle availible up until about the time the KZ1000 was fielded. A 500Ninja would have completely floored the motorcycle world of the 1960s. Heck, a 250Ninja would have been considered a high performance bike back then. Yet these road burners are called "beginner's bikes".

rmsvmax 01-04-2007 03:21 AM

I think your article is well-written, and has merit.

However, I think the idea of tiered licensing is a good one as well, and if it ever does make its way to the States, which I believe it will, along with speed/red light cameras and such,

(me being a dedicated speed freak does NOT bode well for my license/wallet when those speed cameras get here in mass...LOL)

it will bring with a host of VERY good 125/250cc bikes from manufacturers,

that until then will tend to languish in the showroom, while unscrupulous salesman sell liter sized rocket rides to kids. Hey, I remember when I was a kid...I thought I really WAS bullet-proof, and I didn't have video games to REALLY skew my perception of crashing, death and dismemberment. The last I heard, new sportbikes have about 5 MONTHS, on average, before being wrecked...I have run a sportbike parts/repair business for nearly 20 years now, and trust me, it is NOT the business side of me that wants to see tiered licensing...It is the rider side, that want to see more happy riders enjoying seat time into their golden years, on a BIKE, NOT in a wheelchair...

Rider safety courses ARE VERY important, and should be MANDATORY, but so is a tiered system, and more stringent licensing between the tiers, for those whose egos are still bigger than their skills.

It's not Big Brother at all; it's Dad, who needs to knock some sense into the Kid, before his ego kills or maims him.

JVM

RMSportMax.com

ejis 01-04-2007 03:33 AM

Gabe, your pilot analogy is quite apt, but, in my opinion, points in the other direction (or at least 90 degrees off). Would John Q. Public kill himself just as dead in a Cessna 152 as compared to a Gulfstream V if he'd never flown before? Probably. But what about the guy who actually wants to learn? You must first learn to fly a "low performance" single engine piston aircraft. Then you can step up to higher performance prop aircraft, get your instrument rating, multi-engine, finally you can fly jets. You must be specifically qualified to fly each new kind of aircraft, to the point where the highest performace aircraft require a rating in that exact model. So pilots with thousands of hours of experience cannot simply get into any plane they want and fly it. I can comfortably fly a small Cessna. Put me in anything else and I might be able to take off, but landing safely is another story... Aviation is relatively safe, especially considering the consequences of mistakes. I wonder why that is.

In the military, there are squadrons dedicated to training winged pilots how to fly the specific aircraft which they are going to fight. Every pilot must go through this training, even if they've previously flown a similar aircraft (say moving from a F/A-18C to an F/A-18E). It doesn't matter if you're a JG fresh out of flight school or an O-6 with 3000 hours in a dozen other types.

You argue for training and against a tiered system of licensing. I believe that an effective training system in inextricably linked to a tiered approach.

KLRer 01-04-2007 03:34 AM

Re: The Horror!

The 883 Sportster is one thing, it might be dangerous to a newbie if it falls on them at a stoplight but its not ridiculous as a beginner bike. Neither is a KLR 650 if they fit the bike.

Compare that to a 600 cc class sportbike which could be very dangerous to a beginner's life expectancy.

Question: Do these government boys realize that ccs do not equate to dangerousness, necessarily?

boru4761 01-04-2007 03:37 AM

AKs are f'in SWEET!

boru4761 01-04-2007 03:43 AM

what a billiant idea. why didn't i think of that? the majority of those old farts in Congress would then have a very keen interest in both programs. Hmmm.

boru4761 01-04-2007 03:45 AM

Re: The Horror!

Yeah. Power to weight ratio is the way to go.

anrajala 01-04-2007 03:52 AM

There is a push to restrict also the rights/privileges of walkers in the UK. How do you explain that?

- cruiz-euro

BrowningBAR 01-04-2007 04:00 AM

??? Walkers? What do you mean? It sounds ridiculous. Please elaborate; I would really like to hear it. Are they trying to tax people walking?

Anyhow, that is my point. Once limitations are set it will only keep going.