Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 12-28-2006, 11:42 AM   #31
schizuki
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorcycle.com Sport-Tour 2006

Are you trying to imply that I'm some sort of monomaniac?

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-28-2006, 11:47 AM   #32
ksquid
Banned

Excellent review and great pictures...However, now that I have seen the new Concours14 these bikes don't get me excited. I hope the Concours14 can live up to the expectations of all of us but she has fantastic looks.. I do think the standard FJR would have probably done better in this particular test. All of these bikes with ABS would be great commuters in Seattle and indeed you see all of these on rainy days on my 60 mile commute.

Great review guys thanks for the short escape from the honey-do list...
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 11:47 AM   #33
seruzawa
The Toad

It's the only one that has a reasonable weight.

Calling ~700lb behemoths sporttourers don't make it so. The Beemer and Yammie weigh more than a Gold Wing 1200 Interstate fer crissakes.

Heck, they weigh more than my GSX1100G and no one would confuse that with a sportbike.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:53 AM   #34
Haru
Founding Member

1. no ST1300?

2. as somebody who used a modified-for-touring ZX-12R, I am not too impressed with the FJR1300. my ZX with its super tall windscreen, helibars and corbin seat was more comfortable than the FJR, but lighter and more sporty. Its repeated showing up at a strong contender in ST test does not sit well with me because my desire in STs is something with substantially greater comfort, wind protection, and engine smoothness than I got with with the ZX. So to me, leaving out the ST1300 doesn't seem like a good move. your own test that put the ST above the FJR backs me up on this

3.BMWs are just too expensive. I agree that the best bike wins the test, but if the winner is uber expensive, then the best placed affordable bike is also a winner. I see new ST1300s for sale for $13k.

by not including the ST1300 you have missed the opportunity to compare the super expensive best with the more affordable best. the K1200GT maybe a bag of chocolates and all that, but is it worth ~$7k more than an ST to people for who money is not no object?

4. I am waiting for the concours 14. If it manages the smoothness and comfort of the ST with more agile handling and around town usability, that will be the perfect bike.

Haru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 11:53 AM   #35
fumanchu
Founding Member

the article states that a sport touring bike "...must have good wind protection, enough to keep you comfortable at triple-digit speeds."

triple digits? is it a wonder why we motorcycle owners are looked upon as a reckless and unsafe group? we belie the negative stigmas of bikers, but then turn around and encourage each other to to drive 100-plus on public roads. where is this legal? for reference...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_l..._United_States
Old 12-28-2006, 12:09 PM   #36
bigj_1
Registered Member

I appreciate the maintenance cost estimate. A LOT of people tend to overlook this aspect of new bike purchase. Please include it on ALL comparo's and tests in the future.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:12 PM   #37
Fenton
Founding Member

Honey-do list:

1. Stop interupting the adults discussing motorcycles.

2. See #1

Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 12:12 PM   #38
jc4
Founding Member

But, my ass hurts!!!

It is a fantastic pair of bikes. No complaints here(especially with the Corbin installed on my GT).
jc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 12:16 PM   #39
schizuki
Founding Member

Stalkers!

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 12:17 PM   #40
johnnyb
Founding Member

all u VFR complainers need to ride a nice used CBR1100XX. that was a great under-rated moto. Smooth and comfy yet beastly. seems like when Hayabusa came out, it got completely forgotten.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote