Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Motorcycle.com Sport-Tour 2006 (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/4176-motorcycle-com-sport-tour-2006-a.html)

schizuki 12-29-2006 06:34 AM

Re: Motorcycle.com Sport-Tour 2006

It's not if you're a spec-sheet racer.

sarnali2 12-29-2006 08:14 AM

HA ! you can't fool us Hector, there's no virgins in El Paso

sarnali2 12-29-2006 08:17 AM

Re: What, no VFR, no Ducati?

With the added benifit that the Sprint's charging system is reliable while the VFR's is not.

mjs 12-29-2006 08:55 AM

When all is said and done it comes down to....

What BRAND of bike do you want to own...

The Triumph, BMW or Yamaha will all get the job done with no complaints.

Make mine the Yamaha, without the auto-clutch, thankyou.

The_AirHawk 12-29-2006 09:15 AM

Thanks. Good to know I haven't been honin' my html skilz fo' nuttin'.

sportriderjed 12-29-2006 09:31 AM

Excellent article, but a few mistakes on the triumph:

1)It has a completely plastic tank (at least my 06 1050 ST does) so magentic bags will not work on it.

2)You didn't mention that the new 07 will have a different EFI CPU that eliminates the 5 seconds of cranking needed to start when cold and the slightly fluffy off idle response.

3)There is no gear position indicator.

4)There is an instant MPG indicator

5)There is a stock power outlet plug under the edge of the left side fairing for heated jackets or whatever

6)The computer will store your top speed (162.6 indicated for me) and can be erased quickly if desired.

7)There is a lockable compartment in the right inner fairing panel

8)This bike handles even better when the suspension is tightend up a little and the stock bridgestones are deflated a little from the recommeded 36f/42r (I like 34/38) or replaced with better rubber.

9)The brakes are not linked.

10)The roadside tire change can not be accomplished without a 46mm socket and a loooong breaker bar. Dont ask me how I know this.

I know, I know...get a life. As a prior military type A person I have trouble with my OCD and have to tell you about things like this or I may degenerate into a slobbering heap of mush.

Great article guys...happy new year!

Jed

jvbruce 12-29-2006 09:39 AM

Thanks for the sport-touring article guys. It was nice to live vicariously through you for the past 30 minutes while my own riding life is on hold for the winter.

Each of you, except 'red-breasted Gabe', I believe, noted an important consideration when purchasing a touring-capable bike. That consideration is the wife.

Is it possible that you could do a similar article with an emphasis on two-up riding? I think it would be interesting to see how the criteria changes when selecting the 'Best Touring Bike for Two'. This could allow for a dynamic cross-examination of sport-tourers, cruisers, and full dress bikes.

iamz 12-29-2006 10:14 AM

Re: For $15,000, the choice is obvious

Your dealer isn't the only dealer that can't get their hands on one. It appears Piaggio/Aprillia/Moto Guzzi is trying to get rid of dealers that have not performed well in the past. All the while they are adding new dealers every week to the US network. I guess it's the Italian way of doing business.

OhioSteve 12-29-2006 10:22 AM

Great story! However, I look forward to reading more about the concours14. That should be a fantastic machine.

K1200LTE 12-29-2006 12:57 PM

You're on the right track but missed the mark on the FJR.

'07 FJRs can be had for under $12K OTD from several US dealerships. The $500 deposit-n-wait deal is over.

I got a test ride and didn't do either a deposit or a wait for my '06 FJR and I got a substantial discount off MSRP.

You can't touch a '07 GT for less than $21K OTD. That's a HUGE real-world cost differential that is not justified by ESA and cruise.