Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 12-23-2006, 10:44 PM   #61
Flickmeister
Registered Member

Default Re: Smackdown in Chi-Town

I feel sorry for new riders or experienced riders that never ride anything but a HD. They are missing so much of what motorcycling has to offer. To me, every Harley built misses the boat on what a good quality motorcycle has to offer. They don't handle, they are uncomfortable, they don't stop well (V-Rod excepted), they are slow. In short, they are tons of motorcycles that outperform a Harley in every aspect of the sport. Those that only ride Harleys will never know what they are missing and how much our sport can offer on the proper machine.

My background is hardcore sportbike, but not long ago, I was looking for a cruiser. The first bike I rode was an '07 Dyna Super Glide, the basic one with a sane riding position and nothing to detract from the performance of the machine. The ride started around the dealer's parking lot, then out on the street. By the time I got half way around the parking lot, I wanted off. It was slow, boring, felt loose, and even normal braking required monumental effort. The rest of the ride confirmed my original concept of a Harley......they sound good when idling and are works of art made for models to perch on and show of their horizontally enhanced attributes. I also test rode the new Star 1300 and the Suzuki M50. Both were fun and thoroughly smoked the Harley at a fraction of the cost. But the real kicker was getting on a Victory 8 Ball. Man, what a blast! Great motor, great brakes, sweet handling, and downright comfortable. This bike does everything a cruiser should do and is so much fun it ought to be illegal. Terrific quality, beautifull finish, all-the-while providing fantastic audio while in motion. Again, at substantially less than the highly over rated HD stuff. I never wanted to blast the Harley like I have here. On the contrary, I was looking to like and buy one as my second toy, but it's performance was so poor, I felt if it was what motorcycling was all about, I'd ditch it and find another hobby. Thank heaven there are fabulous performing motorcycles that have kept my enthusiasm at a fever pitch for 43+ years. Many of the prentenders (Nipponese cruisers) are capable machines that show how much fun cruising can be. The epitome of cruisers, however, in my opinion, is still made right here in the US of A. "V" is for Victory, pass the keys please.....I'll be out ridin' when the pile hits the proverbial right-back-atcha change of direction.
Flickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-23-2006, 11:00 PM   #62
svtech
Registered Member

Many, many years ago I presented a book report to the student assembly in Junior High School.

This report was a bit different. The central theme was not a single book. Rather it was about an author who had written a small number of fiction books while using similar plot lines. My report used the typical compare and contrast methodology while quoting excerpts to emphasize both similarities and differences in story lines, character development, and even ultimate outcomes of these stories.

The teachers were impressed. Terms like "insightful" and "creative" were tossed my way and I garnered an "A" for the work I'd done in the preparation and delivery of that verbal report.

The student audience, on the other hand, could not have cared less.

Thanks, MO, for reinforcing my belief in at least one parallel universe.

And I hope you get an "A".

svtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 03:00 AM   #63
schizuki
Founding Member

Default Re: It's an epidemic

Bullshyt. You gobble it up.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 03:02 AM   #64
schizuki
Founding Member

You got him, Buz - he pulled out the shiny penny.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 04:07 AM   #65
lionroyboy
Registered Member

Default Re: A fictional buyer?

something like that!
lionroyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 04:14 AM   #66
dfo
Registered Member

Having had 4 Sportys and 1 Road King out of my 78 bikes, I must say that my '04 1200R (modified) is a KEEPER. This bike, now with Progressive Suspension front and rear plus BS rubber + a H-D factory custom repaint and Corbin Gunfighter saddle is as much fun to ride as anything I've ever owned! Fast? Noooo, but definately fun; she definately can carve curves far better than one would ever expect of anything H-D.

She isn't much of a cross country bike, but that's what my '06 FJR 1300A is for. Given a nice day the Sporty is great for 150-250 miles of smiles! About the best bang for the 2 wheeled buck I've ever enjoyed, of course it did take @ $3500 extra to get her the way I wanted her. I didn't do that on any of my other 4 H-Ds; guess it sez something about the 1200Rs appeal to me. DFO
dfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 04:19 AM   #67
dfo
Registered Member

Default Re: And another thing!

The FJR is about the best all around bike (out of 7 I've ever owned. My '03 was very good if the air temp was below 70F and once I managed to dial in the suspension which took lots of fiddling. OTOH my new '06 FJR 1300A hasn't been touched: all she needs is a good saddle to replace the stock pos('03 needed that, too) that's good for an hour or so.

The '06 was noticeably improved for ride, handling and NOT cooking the rider...excellent bike. BTW, Yamahahaaa has finally dropped that inane order before you get it BS for the '07 model year. DFO
dfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 04:29 AM   #68
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Arlen and Cory

So tell us Mr. Ness, does your family have a big party Christmas Eve or Christmas Day?

Do you have to buy everyone a present or do you draw names?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 05:30 AM   #69
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: It's an epidemic

I 2nd that.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 05:31 AM   #70
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: And another thing!

The FJR Concho edition.