Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 04-13-2001, 05:18 PM   #51
bubba_n
Founding Member

Default Re: Vino Hop-Up Reader Feedback

as soon as i can find a turbo for my vino i'm puttin it on there! y'all have inspired me to new heights of insanity! next step is naked chick nose art on the front fender of my vino - no basket here with this redneck! hey - so harley guys take craps bigger than the vino (as a buddy of mine mused) - the vino is, well, you know - the vino is....

mutants unite and long live rat finks!

bubba_n
bubba_n is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-13-2001, 05:24 PM   #52
bubba_n
Founding Member

Default Re: MODIFICATION TIPS!

so - do you not recommend making the mod to the "rubber band" unit? i am at about 40mph with the exhaust mod only and don't want to screw the pooch with getting too tricky. what do you think - should i do it or not?

thanks -

bubba_n

yer pal in bama
bubba_n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2001, 08:36 PM   #53
bakaguy
Founding Member

I'm so glad I found this forum before buying a wine colored Vino yesterday! I walked in, loaded with info, they offered the same mod stuff, too....course, they wanted $150 to do it!

I got it home and rode it stock up a small hill, here in San Francisco...man, I had to shove with my foot to get it going! I immediately did the exhaust mod and MAN it does get up and go!

I am worried after holding down the exhaust with my foot and pounding out the washer with a screwdriver and hammer (it's tough), I may have tweaked the pipe just a bit...when re-installing the unit, it didn't seem to want to be square with the motor again..plus, the gasket makes a gap of about 1/8"...is this right? I can feel a tad of exhaust coming out at that point...but it still rocks!
bakaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2001, 08:38 PM   #54
bakaguy
Founding Member

I'm so glad I found this forum before buying a wine colored Vino yesterday! I walked in, loaded with info, they offered the same mod stuff, too....course, they wanted $150 to do it!

I got it home and rode it stock up a small hill, here in San Francisco...man, I had to shove with my foot to get it going! I immediately did the exhaust mod and it does get up and go!

I am worried after holding down the exhaust with my foot and pounding out the washer with a screwdriver and hammer (it's tough), I may have tweaked the pipe just a bit...when re-installing the unit, it didn't seem to want to be square with the motor again..plus, the gasket makes a gap of about 1/8"...is this right? I can feel a tad of exhaust coming out at that point...but it still rocks!
Old 06-03-2001, 12:05 PM   #55
exatari
Founding Member

Hey,

can anyone explain why Yamaha welded the this "restrictor" on the Vino in their first place. Is it to keep the "top speed" under 30mph. Im not a mechanic, but Im thinking about performing this "mod" and Im not sure I want to damage engine's performance down the road. Feel free to email me backchannel (commie64@mikroknytes.com) if you think this would not benefit the forum.

thanks in advance

exatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2001, 07:10 PM   #56
surfnscooterboy
Founding Member

yep , it's slow. i found a scootershop in orange that will order me a performance pipe for my vino ,but knowing the "engine like name "they use in japan or germany is holding us up..don't want to order the wrong pipe. can anyone help???

also the modification to the trans dosen't seem like a good idea after reading this..i dont want to grind anything away or make it undependable..

am i right on this????

surfnscooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2001, 08:49 AM   #57
bakaguy
Founding Member

I've refrained from changing the trans myself, it seems fine with just the exhaust restrictor removal. I've looked around for performance parts, too and it seems to be so new that there's nothing out there yet.

Any sites or info on that pipe and other performance parts would be appreciated here.

Thanks!
Old 07-02-2001, 09:59 AM   #58
yamahavino
Founding Member

I've been hearing that this is all just hype and I'm having a hell of a time trying to find someone in the D.C. area that can do the changes for me. If anyone knows of someone that can help,
  1. I'd be happy to pay em.

<tt>email me at eradlmann@yahoo.com</tt>

-Erich
yamahavino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2001, 09:44 AM   #59
MotorcycleMan
Founding Member

Default Re: Vino Hop-Up Reader Feedback

I like the classic Vespa look - but 50 ccs is just impossibly small. Even with the hop-up, a 40 mph cruising speed is useless in my city.

Now if they made it with some decent size wheels and had at least a 125cc engine, it might be useful for commuting.

Take a look at the Aprilia Scarabeo. Similar looks with 16" wheels and a 150cc engine.
Old 07-13-2001, 06:38 PM   #60
DeanMoriarty
Founding Member

Default 1000 Miles on my Vino.

Roughly a month ago, I decided that I was going to adopt a scooter as my primary form of transportation. As my daily commute amounts to roughly 35 miles per day, I ruled out anything vintage; I simply do not have the time to tinker lovingly with a beautiful but temperamental machine. After researching and weighing features and costs, I settled on the Vino, largely owing to the low price and attractive styling.

I've driven my Vino to work every day since, and use it all the time on weekends when cruising around Denver. To say that I have extensively tortured the Vino would be an understatement; the pavement in Denver can be described as a joke at best. Still, last week the ODO rolled over to a thousand, and the thing has been nothing but a joy.

Another thing: you can actually find aftermarket kits for the Vino as well; Malossi has a 70cc kit for it.

Anyways, its a wonderful, wonderful scooter, and I would suggest it highly to anyone interested in purchasing a tupperware bike.

Keep The Black Side Down And The Shiny Side Up,

Jason.
DeanMoriarty is offline   Reply With Quote