Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 03-13-2001, 01:47 PM   #31
Woody650
Founding Member

Default Re: Vino Hop-Up Reader Feedback

I like scooters too, had a 50cc and a 180cc when I was younger.

I visted Italy last year and they're EVERYWHERE, far more common than in the U.S. It's really the only way to get around congested towns with twisty alleys built for pedestrians or horses. I saw grandmothers riding them to do daily errands! They charge to the front of the traffic lights and race ahead of cars en masse. I wish there were more 2-wheeled citizens in the U.S., and there's something about the simplicty and of the scooter.

However, the noise of thousands of 2-strokes got very old, very fast. In Florence I couldn't find any peace. Every alley, street and market is awash in the buzz. My head ached and ears rung for weeks afterwards.

Oh...I also saw a little troupe of scooters parading down Cannery Row during Race Week last year in front of hundreds of "real" bikers lining the street...they got a big cheer....
Woody650 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-13-2001, 03:30 PM   #32
minime
Founding Member

You supply the blonde, I'll supply the Marlboros. Sounds like a fair trade
minime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2001, 05:59 PM   #33
Kubla
Founding Member

in japan, they put turbos on honda 50's, when can we expect to see a turbo on the vino???
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2001, 06:13 PM   #34
oldjapbikes
Founding Member

This kinda scooter hop-up reminds me of my experiences two summers ago at the Woodward Dream Cruise in Detroit, MI. It's a weekend-long celebration of the street-racing that used to occur along Woodward Avenue in the 60's and early 70's.

For those of you who don't know, Woodward Ave. is a 8-lane, level, straight road with stoplights every 1/2 mile. Legend has it that the factory engineers would take the latest development mules out and race the locals to see how they would do; but they never stopped to chat and they never opened their hoods.. just drove off with a smile..

So my dad and I went up there in the summer of 1999, and borrowed two scooters from an old friend of his who collects them. My dad got the newer model, but I was presented with a baby-blue, 1981 Honda Passport (yes, passport, no relation ) that looked for all the world like a schoolgirl's bicycle with a motor tacked on under the seat. It would do about 30 and that was optimistic. My dad and I made the foolish decision to actually get on Woodward (which at this point was a standstill, filled with the most awesome hotrods and musclecars around [and even a restored, hot-rodded, 502-powered garbage truck!], racing their engines and squealing the tires every chance they got). We followed a WICKED pontiac GTO for a while, close enough to be pelted by the cannon-like blasts coming from the exhausts. It was cool for a while. But then, when the crowds saw us and started chanting "Light em up! Light em up!" we decided the side-streets were better.

I can imagine somebody on a Vino doing a wheelie down the block, to the cheers of the crowds on the curbs! That'd rock!
oldjapbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2001, 08:06 PM   #35
kookyzoo
Founding Member

Default Um, T-Max?

Yam scoots: Will there be a test of the T-Max, like the initial ride report stated?
kookyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2001, 06:17 AM   #36
beerhead
Founding Member

No way is the Vino an 'urban assault vehicle', least not as it is defined here in Japan, where everybody, it seems, owns a scooter. But it is cool, way cool, and to get cooler the only way out is to buy a real Italian Vespa, which of course the Vino is based on (Honda go for the 50s Lambretta look with a fixed headlight in the middle of the front sheild). But the windshield and the basket? Get rid of those dude, they are strictly for your granny.

No the true 'urban assault vehicle' here has (tiny) twin disc brakes up front, aggressive modern styling, uprated rear suspension by Showa, and a full engine/exhaust workover. Why people spend so much money on simple commuter machines is like asking why they gold-plate Monkey bikes or add every conceivable extra to a tiny 600cc minvan. They do it because they want to, is the only answer. But if you want the latest, coolest, fastest example of the art of scooter as 'street boss' then you'd better have to buy a Peugeot or better still an Aprilia 125. With their amazing styling, twin rear lights and sticks-through-the-frame rear shock those Aprilias are the business and can seriously kick ass on the narrow and congested lanes of urban Japan. Test one, you won't be disappointed.
beerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2001, 06:25 AM   #37
beerhead
Founding Member

No way is the Vino an 'urban assault vehicle', least not as it is defined here in Japan, where everybody, it seems, owns a scooter. But it is cool, way cool, and to get cooler the only way out is to buy a real Italian Vespa, which of course the Vino is based on (Honda go for the 50s Lambretta look with a fixed headlight in the middle of the front sheild). But the windshield and the basket? Get rid of those dude, they are strictly for your granny.

No the true 'urban assault vehicle' here has (tiny) twin disc brakes up front, aggressive modern styling, uprated rear suspension by Showa, and a full engine/exhaust workover. Why people spend so much money on simple commuter machines is like asking why they gold-plate Monkey bikes or add every conceivable extra to a tiny 600cc minvan. They do it because they want to, is the only answer. But if you want the latest, coolest, fastest example of the art of scooter as 'street boss' then you'd better have to buy a Peugeot or better still an Aprilia 125. With their amazing styling, twin rear lights and sticks-through-the-frame rear shock those Aprilias are the business and can seriously kick ass on the narrow and congested lanes of urban Japan. Test one, you won't be disappointed.
beerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2001, 07:06 AM   #38
mwyoung
Founding Member

Great article! It reminds me of highschool when we tuned my '54 Vespa. After that got old I bought and "massaged" a '79 Lambretta 250. It would hit 80 with no sweat.

Plus, I've been considering getting one of these for my wife, but she wanted more umph. This should do the trick!
mwyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2001, 07:42 AM   #39
minime
Founding Member

Default Re: Um, T-Max?

Yamaha has decided not to import that scooter to the 'States, but our European desk, Glenn LeSanto is arranging a spin on one.
minime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2001, 12:11 PM   #40
kookyzoo
Founding Member

Default Re: Trick scoots in Japan

Have you got any photos you can post?

I'd like to see that.
kookyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote