Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 11-26-2006, 12:32 PM   #51
anrajala
Founding Member

Default Re: 2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

>Although the cruiser market overall has

>remained relatively flat, the metric cruisers in

>the 650-1100cc categories are showing very

>strong growth

I was really wondering about this as well. I keep complaining the patological lack of oomph in the 1500 cc middleweight cruisers and predicted a decisive market move to power cruisers (not to be confused with the bikes in the power cruiser comparo which was a perfectly balanced group as none had any) - and now what. People go even wheezier and wheezier.

What next, Kymco Venox 250 overtakes the market? People write enthusiastically how its not the bike but the rider.

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-26-2006, 02:03 PM   #52
seruzawa
The Toad

Now, I'm not a huge cruiser fan, but I do like to putt around on them. My wife likes them better than I do, which is why I usually keep one around and I have no problems with them. However....

An old bike like a 60's era Norton or Matchless 750 gets the same amount of HP as this 900 Vulcan and no one who has ever ridden one ever complained about a lack of torque. So where am I going here? It's ridiculous that the 750-800 class Japanese cruisers make less performance than a 40 year old Norton. There's no reason why they can't shorten the stroke a bit and give these things 8,500 rpm redlines and get a lot more performance without particlularly reducing the bottom end torque. Drop the gearing a bit and they'll out perform these 7K redlined loafers at all rpms.

Heck even my old '70 W2-650SS had no shortage of bottom end and still would spin up to 8K with excellent linear power. It would chew up Sportsters with ease. This addiction to low end torque gets to be a bit ridiculous when a 900cc engine can't do passing speed without downshifting. My old 650 didn't need a downshift and that was two-up!
Old 11-26-2006, 02:44 PM   #53
seruzawa
The Toad

Dang! You shoulda come down with near Arches Nat'l Park this weekend with us. My wife forgot to pack the Bushmills! I was stuck with local microbrew Polygamy Porter all weekend.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:37 AM   #54
opie
Founding Member

I've always like Kawasaki's. They make a fine bike. I've owned five of them over the years. But at this price point, I'd encourage anyone who's seriously considering this Kawi 900 at $7,400.00 to also consider the Harley Davidson Sportster 1200 Roadster. I bought a 2005 in Pearl Black and Birch White two-tone for $8,715.00. It makes plenty of power for me (and, I'd have to believe, for anyone happy with the power this 900 makes), it has the most comfortable, natural riding position of any bike I've owned (about 45 over the years) and the parts that look like metal really are metal. No chrome covered plastic. The XL1200R accelerates briskly, feels solid on the road, and gets me 45-51 mpg, depending on how much city riding I'm doing. It's drop dead gorgeous!! When you look at many of the custom chopped "bobbers", they sure look a LOT like my Sportster Roadster. It has the best gas tank shape ever, if you're into such things. And I'm pretty sure that my Sportster will depreciate much more slowly than the Kawi. FWIW...
opie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 05:21 AM   #55
iamz
Founding Member

Thanks for admitting what you demonstrated so well in the Griso thread. You really don't know anything. Have you ever even been on a motorcycle?
iamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 05:55 AM   #56
sethch
Registered Member

I think for that price I'd much rather have a Triumph America or Speedmaster. The Triumph Amer. and SM have basically the same numbers(tq and hp wise) as the Kawi but have tons more character! As much as I love V-twins theyÂ’re dime a dozen now and all of them are starting to look alike. Never mind the huge aftermarket accessories you would have at you disposal to make your triumph truly custom as opposed to Kawi telling you your riding a custom. Now that I think about it, I think Kawi calling this bike a "Custom" is really ironic!
sethch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 07:31 AM   #57
seruzawa
The Toad

Answer: The guy who built the pit and lined it with C4.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:54 AM   #58
anrajala
Founding Member

Got to check what I wrote in the Griso thread, hopefully it was something really gross. Define "motorcycle", I commute on a Fat Boy

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 12:37 PM   #59
jimmihaffa
Founding Member

Agree with pretty much everything you said, Opie. I can't speak to the merits of the 900 Vulcan, though I have owned the 2000. I think for the price point, the Sportster is a better buy and to my eyes looks better too. The depreciation of Japanese cruisers is scary (I can speak from experience there)...it's worth the investment in the Harley.
jimmihaffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 03:33 AM   #60
Whatmough
Founding Member

I agree with most even the tank's looks; but not the capacity (not enough). Comfort on my Sporty was not great, especially after a 1/2 hour of riding; but I had a 01, w/o rubber mount. I can't believe it got that much better after. It's still an around town bike. Nice looker though and in my opinion H-D's most stylish.
Whatmough is offline   Reply With Quote