Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 11-23-2006, 03:20 AM   #41
kubota522
Registered Member

Default Re: First Bike the Second Time Around: MSCuddy's Jawa

A Suzuki trail 90 with the dual range transmission lever that you kicked with your heel for high or low range......what a great little bike it was....
kubota522 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-23-2006, 03:41 AM   #42
obandoj
Founding Member

Default Re: The Death Bike

That was my first street bike too! I remember going across many an intersection on one wheel and soiling my pants too They sure were evil. Oh, and the tank slappers we had!
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 03:52 AM   #43
ddlewis
Registered Member

Default not something you hear every day

"With the legendary Jawa-CZ gearbox..."
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 04:06 AM   #44
Glazier
Registered Member

See, I would like to tell you a nice story about my first bike, I really would, but I can't. I haven't ridden the thing yet. I purchased my bike in late September, seeing as it looked like a good deal. In hindsight, it just looks like an ok deal. I had the cash on hand, and I was just jonesing for a bike so damn bad.

I'm driving home from a job one day, and while stuck in traffic, I look across the road, and wonder why the hell is there a line up at McBride Cycle going halfway around the building and down the sidestreet at 8 in the moring. Then I see the signs in the window, receivership sale, everything must go. Ya'd figure after 97 years in business, or so the sign had always said, they woulda figured how to stay afloat. Anyhow, being tired, and sleepy, I had no desire to wait in line for an hour, so I headed home to go to bed, I work nights.

For some reason I wake up a little early that day, my buddy from next door stops over, complains he's bored, as per usual. So we get ready and head off to McBride, just to kill time at first.

We get there, and a lot of the bikes they had are already sold. I only see a few in my budget range that interest me. A 1985 Suzuki Katana 750, still looking as alienlike as ever, figure they found the design for it in the Roswell crash. They're asking too much money for the milage, so no dice. My buddy's like, come take a look at this one. A pretty wine coloured Suzuki Vx 800 of the '93 vintage. I look it over, a minor scratch on the tank, a little rust on the headers, rattling mirrors, a bent headlight bracket, and a bent metal plate around the guage nacelle. All pretty much easily fixable stuff and ok milage at 24,000 km. The price tag said $2500 + tax. I knew then I was gonna have the bike, but I kept my wits about me. So I leave.

And the very next morning, me and my other buddy who's been riding for 10 or so years come to have a better look. It's developed a 'immitation is the sincerest form of flattery' Harley problem. There's a few drops of oil under the bike. No matter, we wheel it outside, and after 5 minutes, have it fired up.

My good buddy checks out everything, brakes good, cluch good, susppension ok, etc. A very minor hesitation is the only problem. So after revving the bike for a minute or two, the sweet v-twin sound seranading my soul, and the uncomfortably large wad of cash in my pocket all helping to make me feel like a Virgin in a *****house, I tell the salesman, do up the paperwork. I count out the hard earned cash, $2848 in totoal, sign the papers, and tell them I'll be back in a few days to pick it up.

Work keeps me busy, and it's Tuesday next week, before me and yet another buddy head down and pick it up. They load it up for me, and use the nice new tie down straps I bought to firmly secure my precious cargo in the back of my truck. Me making sure the tie down straps can't chaffe on the glass that is tied to the rack on both sides of the truck. So, driving smoother and slower than even Ms. Daisy would like, I head off. I go to the bike shop next to the mechanic shop where I get my truck worked on, stopping to buy a hot dog on the way, and showing off my new found joy to my vendor buddy, who now fears he will soon lose a good customer.

I drop the bike off, and stick around for 15 minutes while they take a look at my bike. True to my buddy's and my mechanic's word, they seem like a good place. So, I tell them to do whatever needs to be done, and I'll be back in a few days.

I return a few days later, only thing the bike really needed was a new crush washer around the oil plug. Sweet! But I also had gotten them to change the oil, obviously part of changing the washer anyhow, and the coolant, etc. They show me that the carbs are in sync, but to keep a good eye on them. Due to the bikes useing two different types of carbs, one in the middle of the V, and one in the back, and a somewhat elaborate system of cables, the bike may come outta sync a little sooner than most. But otherwise, seems like I got a pretty decnt deal. I pay them the $2 hundred somethin' and they load the bike onto my truck once more, now useing all 4 straps for highway travel.

My original plan was to get my full license, I had only a M1 at the time, and put the bike on the raod. But alas if I want to go down east and see all my family for Christmas, that will have to wait

So I take the bike a 45 minute drive up to my buddy's house. He takes it for a twenty minute spin and fills the tank before returning, being the nice guy he is, tells me don't worry about paying him back for the gas, I'll need the money for gear in the spring. All my buddies seem to like the bike and think I got a pretty good deal. With some elbow grease and a box of SOS pads, and a bucket of water, I managed to get a lot of the rust off the header pipes. Now looks much better. The next day, we removed the battery, drained the carbs, etc, before we stored it in his shed. Manged to straighten the headlight bracket too. I just need to fix the metal ring around the guages, and being a glazier, I figure I can fix the mirrors myself. Just need to open the backing cases, and use reglue them to the backing.

And there she sits, cold and lonely in a cold tomb, my lovely Juliette, waiting for my firey, passionate embrace come the first signs of spring.

So I'll be going to take the course at Humber college in early April to get my M2 license, and the nice insurance discount with it. I figure everything goes right, I'll be on the raod before May.

But I have to confess, this is already seeming like one damn long winter. Everytime I pass by a bike, I see the bike there in the shed, just waiting for me to join with it in some unholy marriage of carnal desires and fulfillment of youthful longing at long last. I feel like a virgin being told by his hot girlfriend he has to wait till spring before he can get to second base.

Anyhow, with any luck, come the flowers of spring, I'll be back with the tale of how my first ride ever goes, being I've never, not once, ridden a bike before. At least not one that wasn't self powered. The wait is worse than a kid waiting for Santa. So, till then, I'll do my best to live Vicariously through the tales of MScuddy's and others.
Old 11-23-2006, 04:25 AM   #45
seruzawa
The Toad

Sounds like a typical receivership "sale". The '93 VX lists at $1350 for high retail at the NADA site. On the other hand some guy on craigslist is asking $3600 for one. Go figure.
Old 11-23-2006, 04:29 AM   #46
seruzawa
The Toad

I had a '67 Duck scrambler. It started quite easily. However the Diana was another story. I remember that CW recommended throwing the kickstarter pedal away to save a couple pounds and just push starting it.
Old 11-23-2006, 04:41 AM   #47
seruzawa
The Toad

I bought an 84 700 Magna from a coworker. Big mistake... what a POS. Never runs more than a couple of weeks before some other problem crops up. Cam chain, boiling over...... on and on and on. Can't be ridden in the city in temperatures over 95 even though I pulled out the thermostat altogether. I Had to rig up a jumper switch to run the cooling fan all the time when not on the Interstate otherwise it boils even in temperatures in the 70s. To replace the fuel filter you have to remove the rear wheel and fender and all those electrics! Rear head pipes can't be removed without removing the engine. Camshaft timing incredibly difficult to align. The first time I did it it took 3 hours. Horrible bike. The worst I've ever owned. Definitely a throwaway bike. Avoid these old 700 Magnas like the plague.

Old 11-23-2006, 05:22 AM   #48
steppenwoof
Registered Member

Default First Bike

Well, my first was a Ducati single of unknown displacement...no title,,,BOS only, I couldnt register it so I bolted on a bike plate that I found on the side of the road & modified the month & year with a magic marker...added clipons and a Bates reverse-cone muffler & away we roared !!!....The bike cost me 35 dollars....That was the first and arguably the sweetest !!!........I was 17 years old on a rocket with no time or inclination for nostalgia....Tal
steppenwoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 07:05 AM   #49
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Good post!

Excellent use of facts/data.

Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 07:13 AM   #50
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Good read cuddy. I hadn't noticed the bungee cord in the photos you'd sent me. Is it for cargo or just there to hold the seat down?
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote