Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 11-13-2006, 12:49 PM   #11
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

Default Re: When in Rome...

I like Gabe and I like travel stories. Scooters can be practical, fun and yes "cute" (I'll deny it if pressed) but what if your Buds see you on one?

Guy that run's (partial owner too?) my favorite "biker bar" (Judy's, the whole front is Motorcycle parking only, cages to the sides!) had a nice looking blacked out HD. Think bald Sergeant Schultz but carries himself like he's got a pretty short fuse (I dunno). This guy looks and sounds like a Beemer guy for sure... He recently sold his Harley and bought a new Red Vespa scooter (250 I think)??? Sure he lives one mile from the bar and all But, But... Thursday night is still "Bike Night" (every night is there). Wednesday night is now "Scooter night"!!!

Scooter riders never wave back!?

All good, plenty of room for any variation of two wheels there, on the road and under MO's big tent IMHO. They're all "Brothers in the Wind" to me.

Good stuff Gabe, informative, died with the "Nuns" one (brief aside, I was thinking maybe Mad Max in drag, pun intended, Still think he's one of the best Riders in the World and looking forward to watching him race again next year). Yossef doesn't remark much about "traffic", funny the things that can seem normal once you're used to it. Sounds like a great destination and if I'm around long enough I'll make it happen. May even go the Scooter route "When in Rome..." and all but NO PICTURES!!!
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-13-2006, 01:25 PM   #12
flying_hun
Founding Member

I spent 12 days riding in southeastern France and northwestern Italy last summer. The biggest city I rode in was Nice, but Gabe's description matches my experience there too. Despite thinking I was accustomed to splitting lanes from commuting in California, my first day riding in Nice completely reset my understanding.

Also, splitting into oncoming traffic is considered pretty standard. We even had a French cop wave us around him when entering a blind lefthander with cars coming the other way. Wild! Everyone just makes room.

It's a lot of fun, and I'm going back the summer of 2007,but it's not for everyone.

Nice article, Gabe.
flying_hun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 01:40 PM   #13
staff
Registered Member

Were you sitting in Hooters while you wrote that post?? How many beers have you had there cowboy?! -fonzie
staff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 02:51 PM   #14
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Heck I rode a bus from Sorrento to Amalfi and it scared the crap out of me.

If you're on a scooter and you hear the bus horn honk, move to the shoulder now!

Try driving in Mexico City sometime. It makes Rome look like Amish country.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 04:17 PM   #15
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

I soo almost jumped on that other post, as if you even notice Motorcycles when "Chickies" are around.

We should go have a few sometime just to see if it'd be fun.

BTW I STILL never got the "Good" Daytona pictures! I'm real curious if some of them Girlies look as Hot when I'm sober.
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 05:08 PM   #16
conchscooter
Founding Member

It just so happens I am planning a trip back to Italy in June. I grew up north of Rome and haven't been back in 25 years (family issues- they really pissed me off!). I am staying with a friend and getting the use of his BMW 1200 so that should be fun.

I have to say Gabe's Vespa 250 review convinced me that should be my next mortorcycle it was an excellent review full of useful information and gave a real review of the machine and its potential.

In the same way i enjoyed his review of the Eternal City. Weirdly enough 25 years on I still speak fluent Italian, some things one doesn't forget though i doubt i still have the nerve of my youth for crazy traffic antics. I've rather lost my edge after 25 years of plodding around in the USA.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:05 AM   #17
hilodik
Registered Member

Recently while riding my Buell Blast I came upon a half mile long backup. I entered the slot between the cars and drove to the obstruction and went around it. How gratifying!!! The Itaqians and Californians have it right.
hilodik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 03:54 AM   #18
greencreamshadow
Founding Member

Default heyiyou

where are the movie clips!?!

lets hear and see the sights and sounds!!!!!
greencreamshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 07:02 AM   #19
wwalkersd
Founding Member

OK, Gabe, we know The Wife was with you, but couldn't you sneak in even one picture of the "spike-heeled, scooter-riding fashion models"?

Nice story, BTW.
wwalkersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 07:04 AM   #20
wwalkersd
Founding Member

P.S. Even if you can't spell Giuseppe.
wwalkersd is offline   Reply With Quote