Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 11-10-2006, 02:42 AM   #21
fl34
Founding Member

Default Re: 2007 Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport Introduction Report

I remember Mike Baldwin racing one at the old Loudon. He was riding the wheels off the thing and using every inch off the track and more. The "more" did him in as the drive shaft couldn't take the inconsistent traction on the edge of the track going up the back hill.
fl34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-10-2006, 03:24 AM   #22
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I had a silver 78 CBX. I still regret selling it, but a new one with current technology would be a killer. I would buy one in a hot minute. In my opinion, the CBX was the most exciting bike Honda ever made.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:57 AM   #23
seruzawa
The Toad

I'd be happy if Honda brought back even a mildly exciting bike.

I don't want to talk about Honda any more becasue then I have a tendency to ......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz (head crashing on keyboard and hitting the OK! button)
Old 11-10-2006, 05:11 AM   #24
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

About as big too.......

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 05:17 AM   #25
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

CBX's are cool, I'd buy one also. The VFR's with gear drive cams we're pretty fun too, till the charging system failed and left you coasting through 4 lanes of rush hour interstate trying to make the shoulder....

'course that was fun too in the same way that dressing up in a deer suit and walking around the woods is during hunting season is..

I think the last really cool bike Honda made was the the CBR 900 RR

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 05:23 AM   #26
BorgBiker
Registered Member

I agree, although I would say that the cars lead the way for boring.

My Mom needed a newer car, so I recommended the 2007 Accord since I knew she needed reliability. Her old V8 Thunderbird was slower, less efficient and much less reliable, but she says she misses it tremendously, and the Honda "alright". To her, it's just transportation. She feels nothing for it. The only Honda that moves me at all is the S2000. Somebody accidentally let the engineers have some fun there. But I still would like to see it styled by a car lover.

Honda bikes are the same way for me today. Great, reliable and practical. I get no passion from any Honda bike any longer, and I've had 6 Hondas over the past 20 years.

I wouldn't expect any of the big 4 to suddenly bring out the passion the way a Ducati or MV Agusta can, but Honda in particular seems to be the Ned Flanders of the motorcycling world.
BorgBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 06:22 AM   #27
oldtim
Founding Member

I understand your point but... I am between motorcycles now, and when my hotrod is done I plan on getting a VFR 800. Please don't hate me 'cause I love plastic and 4 cyls! At this point in my motorcycling career, a VFR is perfect for me. But this Guzzi is a very nice motorcycle and I love their unique approach. You gotta love a person or company that goes its own way and lets the chips fall were they may.
oldtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 08:30 AM   #28
rapier
Founding Member

Now put a 3/4 fairing on it for touring, leaving the lump of an engine hanging out there in front of God and everybody like it should be, instead of dressed up faux modern like the Norge and my perfect Guzzi will have arrived.
rapier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 08:56 AM   #29
zenjim
Registered Member

Good One! So if Honda is the Ned Flanders of the world then

BMW is Mr Burns

Krusty the Klown is Boss Hoss

Troy McClure is Ducati

Nelson Muntz (the HaHa kid) is Harley Davidson

Kawasaki is Officer Wiggum

Apu is Royal Enfield

Willie the Groundskeeper is Triumph

OK so far?

Old 11-10-2006, 09:45 AM   #30
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

Well.. if it was him, I could find no evidence of it... It would have been 1978, I think, if at all... A pretty good search, including my old stuff, failed to reveal the full results of that race. Apparently, Mike Baldwin finished 5th in '76 and '77 on a Guzzi... Freddie ran with the leaders on a Howard Racing Ducati tuned by Reno Leone in '79 until a mid-race pit stop...

Maybe... I'm remembering something that didn't happen... My defense would be: Advancing age, 17 Daytona 200's and of course all the drugs that were around in the sixties...

I knew Roberto Pietri from driving Cal to Florida in a race van for, as I recall, Daytona '76, he, without doubt, will remember "that" trip. That (I thought) is why I was following his race so much... Alot of stuff from back then is faded or blended together. It all adds up until I find out, as sometimes happens, I may be wrong.
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote