Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 10-31-2006, 02:07 AM   #51
boru4761
Registered Member

Default Re: Victory Gets It Right

For that kind of money I could buy a brand new R1 and still have enough money to buy my friends '66 triumph and throw some real money at its restoration. So, I could have my perfomance cake with a side of cruiser fries and eat them both.
boru4761 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-31-2006, 02:54 AM   #52
anrajala
Founding Member

Never mind pushrod/OHC concept, the guys who designed Victory (as well as those of Excelsior-Henderson) screwed up monumentally in the very basics. They should have gone directly to around 2000cc level and offer an honest American alternative in the heavyweight segment. What a gaping opportunity missed. I hope they feel silly. They would be now planning a major factory expansion just like Kawi.

Get the concept right or deserve to do annual paint jobs in another also-run ordinary middleweight getting beaten by H-D.

- cruiz-euro

anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 03:14 AM   #53
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: Victory Gets It Right (but leaves the first attempt wrong)

Buz, from what I've read about the Hammer, you're probably right. But there's no reason for any of these bikes to have those rear tires...except, of course, the obvious poser appeal.

I swear I think I'm going nuts sometimes. I can't even keep up with the layers of irony heaped on some of these bikes.

"Performance cruisers" were invented, so to speak, to increase the capability and rideability of cruisers; to shed some of the form-over-function rap, right? So here we are once again coming full circle with features that are "faux performance," like the stupid fat tire fad.

Suzuki talks about all the GSX-R DNA in the (fabled) M109, and then, saddles it with a stupid fat rear tire.

H-D takes the V-Rod, which handled resonably well for such a long, raked-out bike, and guess what? It puts a stupid 240 rear tire on most of the new model variants.

My dopey buddy who doesn't even really enjoy riding his '03 V-Rod much almost got sucked into trading it for an '06 Night Rod Special (MSRP+$2000 mark-up+$1000 prep/freight), which really was done nicely in flat black with gloss black orange accents. Unfortunately, the NRS is tuned for slightly more power but seems to do most everything else worse, thanks to stuff added for that "performance look"--like drag bars that don't work with the riding position and, of course, that stupid fat rear tire.

I'm starting to think that the Performance Cruiser category will become the most cartoonish of all.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 03:26 AM   #54
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Maybe they're just supposed to look fast. It's not really smart to haul ass between bar stops.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 03:36 AM   #55
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Maybe it's easier to load them on the trailer for those "biker" runs with your rightious partyin' bro's from accounting?..

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 03:39 AM   #56
JBK1200LT
Founding Member

It Might be worth the money if it had a 140 cu in engine instead of the measly 100
JBK1200LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 04:12 AM   #57
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I'm off to Washington DC.

Hold down the fort! I'll say hi to everyone's favorite pols.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 04:28 AM   #58
seruzawa
The Toad

You can't say hi to Kook's favorite pols unless you are also going to Cuba and Venezuela.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:42 AM   #59
boru4761
Registered Member

Actually, I think all they needed to do was come in at a price point about $1000 under the similar HD model for each and they would have sold like hotcakes. Then, when the demand is really there, start pricing some special editions at 20K.
boru4761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 04:59 AM   #60
ksquid
Banned

Very funny...wrong but funny..
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote