Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 10-26-2006, 05:12 AM   #71
maxriderdon
Founding Member

Default Re: 2007 Yamaha V-Star 1300 Intro Report

Refinement/reliability I think the Yami gets the edge, but the HD's are finally giving a little more for your $. Remember origially the metric cars were cheaper than domestics. Over time the Japanese reliability created more resale and new car $. Cruiser MC's are more bought on emotion and keeping up with the Jones. Also remember a lot of these higher $ metrics are better bikes than their predecessors. Harley is just now having to cave to giving the customer more.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-26-2006, 05:23 AM   #72
SmokeU
Registered Member

A 10 year old sportbike is a whole lot different than a new one. Whereas a 10 year old cruiser is often the same machine that's built today. At least the price of sportbikes hasn't skyrocketed like cruisers.

Noooo cruisers aren't boring at all.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:24 PM   #73
mikenomad
Founding Member

Default Re: Better? Different...

Thanks. That helps some. I road a Stratoliner on one of my favorite twisty roads, and although it has a very solid, composed feel, you still feel the weight as increasing effort at the bars, especially in high-speed sweepers. I guess I'll have to try to wrangle a ride on a 1300 from the same dealer around the corner from Route V.
mikenomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 03:58 AM   #74
basel1120
Founding Member

I don't hold any special brief for cruisers. Never had one until I bought a Valkyrie in 2002 and still ride a sport tourer (K1200RS) and a "standard" (Triumph T-Bird Sport.) However, to say that cruisers haven't changed in the last decade is simply not true.

Of course, the market segments are different, but ten years ago the first Valks were being delivered. It was, at the time, a monstrously large bike at 1500 cc's. Ten years ago there was no V-Rod, no VTX, no Road Star, Road Liner, Vulcan 2000, Suzuki M109, etc. Ten years ago Japanese cruisers were to American cruisers as 1950's Japanese sports cars were to European sports cars: pale imitations. And 10 years ago...even five years ago there was no Triumph Rocket III, a remarkable piece of engineering, even if it's remarkable only as an example of wretched excess. (Not my view, but a defensible perspective.)

Even HD has changed remarkably in the last decade. In 1996 there was no twin cam engine. Harleys were still known mainly by non-HD riders for the parts that littered the highway as they vibrated loose.

All in all, the last decade has seen tremendous changes in the cruiser market. HD's are much better bikes and 2007 HD's are arguably significantly different from those of only a couple of years earlier. Japanese manufacturers have improved the quality and features of their bikes, introduced new engines, new bikes, and (along with HD) opened a wholly new market segment in the form of "sport" cruisers. And now with the VStar 1300 joining the VTX1300, another niche market seems to be developing. And if all those changes aren't enough, it looks as if the old man of power cruisers, the VMax, is finally going to get long overdue changes to bring it to the new century.

Meanwhile, the sportbike offererings have changed, as well. But in what direction? More usability on the street where 99% of riding takes place?

I'm not dissing sportbike changes. Only pointing out that the changes, more power and lighter weight, are most obvious on the track, not on the street. Remapped FI's and weight savings in the range of a few pounds (or even ounces) are touted as if they're major engineering breakthroughs.

I did note that the Triumph 675 represented a major new element in the sportbike lineup, a mid-level sportbike with usable torque on the street. Now that's progress.

So why have sportbike prices remained relatively stable? Actually, I'm not sure they have compared to 1996, but let's assume they have. If so, I think the answer is pretty simple. The incremental changes from one year to the next in that market segment have neither required the engineering investment found in the cruiser market nor have they been sufficient to justify major price increases.

Sometimes it's difficult to take a long view with regard to motorcycle development, especially if "10 years" constitutes half a lifetime to the person considering the changes. But the last decade has seen very big changes in the cruiser category, driven largely by the demand of us aging riders who've looked for better bikes as we enter our golden years.
basel1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 04:09 AM   #75
basel1120
Founding Member

Actually, I think most motorcycle market segments, not just cruisers, depend on purchases based "on emotion and keeping up with the Jones(es)." Considering that the average owner of a 2005 R1 taps (at most) 50% of its potential on a regular basis, the incremental "improvements" in the 2007 model hardly justifies trading "up" on rational grounds. Likewise for the changes in the 600 class.

No criticism intended. If emotion weren't involved, we'd all be driving Priuses rather than riding bikes. And if status weren't a driving force, Prius owners would probably be driving Corollas.
basel1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 04:50 AM   #76
anrajala
Founding Member

Default Re: trademarked potatoes

The original didn´t have an e. This came later due to the problems some peoples have in articulating english properly

- cruiz-euro

anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 05:32 PM   #77
anrajala
Founding Member

You actually have seem to know something. What is your take on Valk? You already had it and it will be my next purchase

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 06:45 PM   #78
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Default Re: trademarked potatoes

I was making an obscure "Dan Quayle" reference.......
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 07:23 AM   #79
maxriderdon
Founding Member

I get your point.

"if status weren't a driving force, Prius owners would probably be driving Corollas. "

Now that gave me a good laugh. Never thought of Prius's as a status symbol. Then again I get your point. Just funny. LOL!
Old 04-18-2007, 10:41 PM   #80
didav
Registered Member

Just bought one ! Loved the look of the bike, it's proportions and finish. Seriously considered the XVS1700 but for me the stretch from the seat to the bars was too far and the pillion pegs are situated almost in the centre of the riders seat, the wife/pillion pointed that out immediately upon sitting on the pad, she had to lean forward to put her weight on the pegs to dismount, wasn't impressed.

Anyway back to the 1300, bike fitted me like a glove, very comfortable, was worried about the small engine but found out from a UK site that the engine is 73HP @5500rpm and torque was 106 kgcm @ 4000rpm. Weight is 283kg dry. I think there will be plenty of useable power and a better top speed for passing. Previously being a Kawasaki nomad rider, I am looking forward to some responsive accelleration and some (comparatively) light weight cornering
didav is offline   Reply With Quote